Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered the Boss 865DBI from Amazon along with the Metra install kit and cable. The stereo looks pretty cool although the plastic feels really cheap. There are way too many buttons which means they are small. The Metra kit is really cheaply made and I wonder how durable it will be. I do like how the front plate fits over the stereo and into the stereo fascia (or whatever it is technically called). The fit is darn near perfect. Unfortunately, the fit of the other pieces to the Boss unit is... well, terrible. Almost none of the holes line up and the packaged screws are way too short. I spent a casual afternoon filing and cutting the plastic of the side plates of the Metra kit and I think I have everything lining up now. Tomorrow I will go to Home Depot and get longer screws for mounting the stereo into the Metra kit.

I have been driving without my entire front fascia. There is no clock, hazard light switch, or air bag indicagor light in my car. First thing I noticed is a big red AIR BAG light on my dash. Next thing I notice is that my directionals don't work. I'm amazed that Hyundai reads the status of the air bag indication light and errors on it. The directionals probably share the relay with the hazard lights. That makes sense. I hope the AIR BAG light clears itself once everything is installed.

-- Boris

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
QUOTE (Powered by PopTarts @ Nov 14 2010, 01:57 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=371463
I ordered the Boss 865DBI from Amazon along with the Metra install kit and cable. The stereo looks pretty cool although the plastic feels really cheap. There are way too many buttons which means they are small. The Metra kit is really cheaply made and I wonder how durable it will be. I do like how the front plate fits over the stereo and into the stereo fascia (or whatever it is technically called). The fit is darn near perfect. Unfortunately, the fit of the other pieces to the Boss unit is... well, terrible. Almost none of the holes line up and the packaged screws are way too short. I spent a casual afternoon filing and cutting the plastic of the side plates of the Metra kit and I think I have everything lining up now. Tomorrow I will go to Home Depot and get longer screws for mounting the stereo into the Metra kit.

I have been driving without my entire front fascia. There is no clock, hazard light switch, or air bag indicagor light in my car. First thing I noticed is a big red AIR BAG light on my dash. Next thing I notice is that my directionals don't work. I'm amazed that Hyundai reads the status of the air bag indication light and errors on it. The directionals probably share the relay with the hazard lights. That makes sense. I hope the AIR BAG light clears itself once everything is installed.

-- Boris
The airbag light WILL NOT clear itself. I ran into this when I accidentally turned on my car with that plug disconnected. I ran with it for 2,000 miles like that. It will not clear.

Funny thing is, my dealership said they "have to charge $90 to diagnose and fix it", even though I said exactly what the problem was and how to fix it according to HMAService.
The next time I went there, there was a Hyundai Corporate representative there (I didn't even call, but someone else must have complained about something they were doing).... and VOILA, the airbag light was reset FREE OF CHARGE. Funny how things work like that :D

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awww, nuts! So I'm going to be stuck with a red annoying light on my dash. Can this light be cleared like any other with a OBD handheld computer? Or is there some fancy process to go through since this is an air nag lit vs. a CEL?

-- Boris

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
QUOTE (Powered by PopTarts @ Nov 14 2010, 11:58 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=371533
Awww, nuts! So I'm going to be stuck with a red annoying light on my dash. Can this light be cleared like any other with a OBD handheld computer? Or is there some fancy process to go through since this is an air nag lit vs. a CEL?

-- Boris
Can you imagine how easy it would be to buy a car that's been in an accident because someone cleared the airbag code with their handheld device? haha

·
Registered
54 Posts
I did the same thing, restarted the car because I was going to just drive around without the fascia for a couple days. Airbag light came on, so I put the fascia back on and the light didn't show up again upon restart. Don't know why it didn't stay on like yours.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
QUOTE (bloodninja @ Nov 14 2010, 04:32 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=371637
Can you imagine how easy it would be to buy a car that's been in an accident because someone cleared the airbag code with their handheld device? haha
Good point. I didn't think about that one.

Some news on the Boss install: I found out that the screws that were included were not only too short but also of the wrong thread! Yikes! The botton line here is that I needed 5mm machine screws. Boss included what looks like really short and stumpy sheet metal screws. No idea why...

-- Boris

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
QUOTE (Powered by PopTarts @ Nov 15 2010, 02:46 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=371705
Good point. I didn't think about that one.

Some news on the Boss install: I found out that the screws that were included were not only too short but also of the wrong thread! Yikes! The botton line here is that I needed 5mm machine screws. Boss included what looks like really short and stumpy sheet metal screws. No idea why...

-- Boris
Could you use the screws that came with the stock radio? :whistling:

·
Registered
54 Posts
QUOTE (bloodninja @ Nov 15 2010, 08:25 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=371751
Could you use the screws that came with the stock radio? :whistling:

That's a big negative ghost rider. Difference between the thin metal sheet bracket and the 1/4 inch plastic bracket.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts