Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, 2012 sonata here. I work at a GM dealership and have access to HMA login.... I have been struggling with this car for a bit now. First off it’s a 12’ turbo limited. The turbo was smoked and we had a gently used turbo laying around in the shop. Shoe horned it in while just backing the engine mount bolts out a bit. After running the car for a bit, it would not come into boost. Double checked the EWG actuator voltage reading which was 4.5. Crap. Adjusted to 4.0, Hyundai says 3.9-4.1. Car still wouldn’t make any boost. Checked the cat and saw material on the front screen, since I don’t need to do emissions for a while I punched it and made sure it was completely clear. The car sounded like it had a clogged cat. Lots of intake noise and sounds bogged. Car makes no power at all. While revving the intake “sucking” noise seems to be coming from the IC. Now if it was a boost leak it wouldn’t sound like the engine is choking. You would hear the leak, this sounds like the opposite like the IC is clogged? This car is driving me nuts, I took up both upper and lower IC hoses and i didn’t see a clog at either ends of it. I did run the car without the IC hooked up, but I couldn’t really hear if the starving for air sound went away because I had the cat disconnected. I was also debating replacing the MAP and the boost pressure sensor. I just don’t want to keep throwing parts at it. Anyone have any similar issues? Please help lol

·
Registered
7,017 Posts
Did the cat innards plug the muffler? You ran it with no exhaust?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I ran the car with the cat disconnected at the flex pipe. I’m now thoroughly convinced it has to be an Intake restriction. Both the map and boost control sensor are within the given voltage range that Hyundai gives. Monitored this through GDS which is the app we run to diagnose the cars that come through the dealership. Im pretty **** sure this is no longer a sensor or any faulty part. I think somewhere along the line the intake is being seriously restricted. Going to start at the intercooler as the above dated restriction sound seems to be coming from there....

·
Registered
7,017 Posts
See if any of the plumbing is collapsing under load I've see rubber boots get soft and the will suck closed under heavy load.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The two IC hoses look good, I know the charge pipe can’t collapse because of the material it’s made out of. I’ll have to look at the elbow that goes from the charge pipe to the turbo. I know it has some heat shielding on it. 🤷‍♂️ I pretty much have to go through the whole intake system

·
Registered
7,017 Posts
Had the thing sat for a time? Animal nest?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Possible... the air cleaner was pretty bad when I got to it. Going to take a look after work today. Hopefully I find something to post an update about

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So today I removed the cat again to check the exhaust and the mufflers. They flow with no issues, also I took the bottom hose off the IC and started the car. The car made boost and I got plenty of airflow through the IC. All hoses are clear and exhaust is. Someone else at the shop I work at replaced the engine under warranty. This issue was non existent before the engine was replaced. The turbo was bad.... but I realized that the engine was still covered at 120k. I am starting to think that the problem is in the engine itself. I have checked everything before and after the turbo with no results. It makes boost, but as soon as it goes into the engine it does equate to power. Totally stumped on this, but will probably have to have it come through the shop on the books to get the issue resolved as I don’t do engine’s on Hyundai’s where I work. I know there is a lot involved, Hyundai basically ships a short block and who ever gets the job has to build the head from scratch. What a freakin nightmare!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not enough that is for sure, as previously stated, something is not letting the turbo breath properly.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No boost gauge, I used a tablet we have at the shop to get live data, but I forgot the exact number. The amount of boost it makes is not the issue so the number is almost meaningless at this point. I also don’t have to drive it far to tell that it’s not making power. Drive it for too long then it’s too **** hot to work on.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts