Hyundai Forums banner

Boost Gauge - Mounting Locations

13K views 25 replies 6 participants last post by  RykrosGT 
#1 ·
I just ordered a boost gauge and the SXTH Vacuum Distribution Block. Curious where folks are mounting them. With our interior being completely unique to the GT, the Elantra Sport examples and custom mounting pods aren't really an option.

My gauge comes with a mounting cup and what looks like a pretty versatile bracket. I'm thinking either down low, very far forward on the A pillar, or possibly the driver's side window defrost vent.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Steering wheel

Gauge and mounting bracket:

Gauge Measuring instrument Speedometer Tachometer Auto part

So, what have y'all done? Any place I'm overlooking?

trey

See less See more
#2 ·
Somewhere in between small and bigger vent as per your picture? So you do not cover vent, hot airm might affect reading, who known...
And, BTW what is the point if that 'boost gauge'? Are you going to drive by numbers it shows? Are you going to look at it all the time? Will it affect how efficient you drive? Or is it just a chick magnet???

#3 ·
Well, I didn't really want to screw into, or use heavy duty adhesive on my dash. Turns out the defrost vent was quite a bit smaller than the included bracket.

A-pillar was my best option, I think it turned out well. Hurts a little drilling into a brand new car, but a replacement pillar is only about $40. If someone comes out with a custom pod or something it'll be relatively cheap to undo.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Steering wheel Steering part

As for what am I going to do with it, I'm pretty sure you're just being condescending, but I'll bite. It'll get used just like every other gauge in the car. Do you drive by the tachometer readings? What about the coolant temp gauge, do you look at it all the time?

It's just another instrument providing me with information about the car. It isn't totally necessary or Hyundai would have provided it, but it's a useful tool. That, and a chick magnet, of course.

I'll post up more pics of the install process later. Tried to take some pics as I went along in case it helps someone else out along the way.

trey

#4 ·
Position is actually - perfect! Do I see some wires going into instrument? It looks like you screwed instrument to the body, then why not drill little hole and put wires through it so they are invisible?

As driving stick, I check RPM from time to time. And I would continue do that when I switch car to automatic with paddles.
As for Hyundai 'would include that' - ha, ha; good joke. In GT Sport Ultimate replacement called 'N-Line' they REMOVED blind spot, cross traffic and wireless charger. Some people can live without those, but I really need some help pulling from parking spot surrounded by monsters SUV everybody drives these days.

#8 ·
In the '18+ GT Facebook group there was a post about a gauge pod that was molded as a replacement for the defrost vent - it's essentially the vent with pod attached. It looks pretty nice.

Website is here:

http://www.block8head.com/?fbclid=IwAR3QBwetJwabyyxFJxC2J0TsexHVPgDdn7y18FpG9p2pvqWLnL1u8pTIjcU

HE does single and dual pods. He posted in the group it's now available for the '18+ GT.

It takes a few weeks to get it but the pod is so sleek, looks like it was made for the car!

--*Rob

#9 ·
Oh nice! I don't see it listed on the website you linked, but I shot him an email. I got off FB years ago and too stubborn to get back on...

Thanks for the head's up. I'm absolutely ordering one if they're available. I'll post up pics.

trey

#14 ·
I notice Block8 hasn't updated their website with any information on this gauge pod, it would be nice if they did. Especially for those of us who actively refuse to use FB. I'd like to place an order for one of these, soon, but I would prefer to have an exact advertised price before doing so.

I'll probably go ahead and email the guy directly, just to inquire. Kind of amused/skeptical of the AOL address, but...

#15 ·
Totally agree -- the FB 'store' is annoying. I emailed him for info and pricing and he replied to message him through FB :|I got off FB years ago, deleted my account. Luckily my wife didn't delete hers, so I was able to message back and forth through her account.

Price was $85 shipped, I did have to mail him my stock vent piece for him to use -- I think he basically just 'welds' on the pod part to your stock part. Turnaround time was about a month, so keep that in mind.

Pull the vent up from the rear part of it (the part closest to the cabin/furthest from the windshield). There's a tab that seats it on the windshield side -- I should've taken a picture of that.

Not the easiest purchasing experience, but he seems to have a ton of orders so... I guess we're in the minority not already on FB.

trey

#17 ·
I'll assume there isn't much market otherwise for our cars, enough for anyone else to create a custom gauge pod. May have to just spring for the generic, mount with automotive adhesive, and just keep a spare A-Pillar trim piece around.

Shame really. a molded pillar gauge pod or preferably the vent pod, would be badass

#18 ·
Still no reply from your email? I think he's swamped... about a week after he said the turnaround would be I messaged him on an ETA and he admitted that it had been misplaced but he'd get it out ASAP, which he did.

Unfortunately, I think he's the only option right now if you want a custom pod... I really like the pod, but if I had had another option during the ordering process through any other means but FB (forums, website, snail mail...) I would've done that instead.

trey

#20 · (Edited)
Can you copy and paste the link from the screenshot above, where he references the Hyundai part number? I looked all over and just haven't been able to locate it yet.

The screenshot cuts off the rest of the URL, and it will be helpful for anyone looking at this thread in the future.

Edit: I decided I prefer the A-Pillar gauge pod.

SoCal Garage Works said they would fab one for me if I bought their Elantra sedan pod, just takes a little longer to do since it'd be a custom job. So I submitted my order for a dual-gauge pod, and we'll see the finished product when it arrives.

#22 ·
Just throwing a quick update out there:

I still don't have my gauge pillar. Apparently, Hyundai sent them a sedan pillar (or they just didn't realize they ordered the wrong one). So they needed to re-order. Which is probably coming from Korea. They had asked if I just wanted a refund, due to the wait, but I told them I'd have confidence that they'd get the work done. Plus I am not in a hurry. Though it's going on 3+ months now, which is kind of a disappointing amount of time.

I'm sure if they had the part in stock in their shop, I would have it a lot sooner.

I'm not aware of anyone else who will do the pillar, and I'll give them a chance since they have a good reputation.

#24 ·
Just another update:

I emailed Ortiz Custom Pods (https://www.ortizcustompods.com/index.html) and they said they would do the pillar for $200 shipped, but I need to send them the part. I would have to locate the exact part number, price it, and order it. It'll be more than the $210 all-in I paid SoCal GarageWorks, but they stated a 1-2 week turnaround time. Which, considering they SPECIALIZE in custom pods, shouldn't be terribly surprising.

So far as my original order is concerned, it's still in the fabrication process unfortunately. I know they are a legit business, but I keep having to email THEM for updates and they said they shipped it out to another shop out of state? At this point, I think they lost a bit of money on my order; if not in parts and shipping, DEFINITELY in labor. I can't imagine they'll be happy to do this sort of work again.

Unfortunately, the Elantra GT / i30 is just not a popular or volume seller in the US. Even less so based on the limited production numbers of even the N-Line trim, and the fact that the Kona and Veloster and the Elantra SEDAN get all of the attention. It's to the point where, if I needed a more performance-oriented FWD (or AWD...) small turbo mild performance vehicle, with a solid aftermarket, I should spring for either the performance-oriented Veloster (N...), or the higher-volume and more mainstream Kona (honorable mention goes to the KIA Forte GT and Soul GT-Line, and possibly the upcoming Seltos).

Really, at this point in time, if I ever get my pillar... I'll install it and run the gauges since I have the parts. But it's left a sour taste in my mouth, and part of that is due to external factors like vehicle popularity. I enjoy having a less "common" vehicle, but the tradeoff is that this car just doesn't get nearly as much ****ing aftermarket love.

I can't recommend this vendor, because I don't believe they really wanted to fabricate the part, and the fact that I ordered it in JULY 2019.... and here it is... nearly DECEMBER... and I STILL don't have what I paid for. If you want to take a crack at a custom pillar pod, hit up Ortiz. -And our more popular H/K aftermarket vendors, like SXTH (who I have purchased multiple parts from), just flatly decline to fabricate and offer up these kinds of interior parts for our cars. So if that tells you anything...

#25 ·
Hey guys, I'm the one who organized the original Block8head ventpod fab back in March but only ordered it myself in September. Took maybe almost 2 months to get it back (my sedan friend got it back in 1.5 months) - with some prompting from me after waiting a month where it got buried under other orders. He is a 1-man shop doing fabricating by hand with tons of orders for all makes/models - so it's kind of understandable. He responds to FB messenger, good time to follow up would be about 3-4 weeks after you see tracking arrived. I feel it's well worth the wait and the price is very reasonable for the work.

You pay via PayPal when the pod is ready (you can verify price but it was $85 usd shipped in states in September). You can ship with paper inside for your name, email, with year/model it to:
Block8head Custom Vent Pods
171 Short Street
Brockton, MA 02302 USA

#26 ·
Hey guys, I'm the one who organized the original Block8head ventpod fab back in March but only ordered it myself in September. Took maybe almost 2 months to get it back (my sedan friend got it back in 1.5 months) - with some prompting from me after waiting a month where it got buried under other orders. He is a 1-man shop doing fabricating by hand with tons of orders for all makes/models - so it's kind of understandable. He responds to FB messenger, good time to follow up would be about 3-4 weeks after you see tracking arrived. I feel it's well worth the wait and the price is very reasonable for the work.

You pay via PayPal when the pod is ready (you can verify price but it was $85 usd shipped in states in September). You can ship with paper inside for your name, email, with year/model it to:
Block8head Custom Vent Pods
171 Short Street
Brockton, MA 02302 USA
And I believe one of the original questions was also in regard to those of us who do not have, or have consciously ejected, social media from our lives. If there's no reasonable way of getting ahold of this individual outside of FB, to engage his services, then it does cut out a few of us intenders.

On one hand, I was originally interested but my lack of FB turned me off. On the other hand, I did decide that I wanted an A-pillar gauge pod as I intended to install more than one pod. Unfortunately it hasn't worked out well (I purchased the part on my own and will be sending it to Ortiz Cutoms next month)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.