Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got in a fender bender a while back. Been driving around all banged up for a couple weeks, and man was it killing me.

It is hard to tell from the pics, but bumper was trashed. hood bent to crap (tho I think I could have brought it back... more on that later). Fender bent up at the headlight. Headlight Trashed. Radiator support bent up.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey no worries. This is a happy story. Not without hurdles, but nobody was hurt during the incident, and I have enjoyed the process. Though there have been some setbacks.

I ordered all the parts needed for the repairs... or so I thought.

Let's start with a positive; the front bumper. It is an aftermarket piece that I got off the bay pre painted. When it arrived I instantly noticed how well packaged it was, and how nice the paint was (under all the baby powder). Let me tell you this guy does some nice painting. I believe that the seller is the only one offering pre painted parts (and he does so for many different makes and models) so if you ever wondered... now you know. Just understand that the bumper is aftermarket... meaning fit can be a little off sometimes, and there may be minor imperfections. For instance there is a seam at the wheel wells where the mold came together when the piece was made. It's not bad... I knew what I ordered and it is still a niece piece. One thing that may have thrown some though is that the nice shiny new bumper had a nice big bump where the new upper grill was supposed to go. No problem, I needed a heat gun anyway for my plans (inexpensive from the depot). I applied a little heat and pushed that sucker back in. Didn't even mess up the paint. CAUTION if you decide to use a heat gun on your rubber parts for one reason or another be careful, you could easily apply too much heat and lift the paint and or damage the part. All in all, I am pleased as can be over the bumper.

The radiator support on the other hand was fubar from the word go. Not only did the seller not ship the item by the company he said he would (meaning no delivery, but a pick up from a remote location); the part would not work with my car. It was a support for a Veloster... and although they are similar, the two are not interchangeable. To his credit it was the item in the picture, but he had it listed as an elantra part. What I ended up doing was a little Hammer Time! It turned out well enough; but I would have prefered to replace the piece.

The nightmare was the aftermarket hood. Long story short I had to bang the heck out of it, build up one side to match the fender line, grind another to fit around the headlight, and build up the ridge on the driver side by half an inch.

I think she looks a million times better now though... but I am not done.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I need more time on my body work, IE fill, sand, fill, sand, and so on to get where I want BUT I have a major question.

In the interest of keeping rust off I just shot the hood where I went down to metal with rustoleum primer. The big question is; will rustoleum come off on the vinyl wrap when I start laying it down and have to lift up? I have 2 part epoxy primer... but I wanted to save that for the fender work (I just pushed the part that bent up back down). It's not that noticeable. Or maybe it's just that I'm so focused on the hood right now.

The vinyl I got is 3m titanium 1080. Anybody ever use the stuff? Louiceman? 3m says to install dry and that they will not cover wet installs, but as I understand the wet method will be easier for a noob like me (I have never done vinyl before). They say it has air channels.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Pretty good as you go learning process.

Awhile back we had a bunch getting rear ended. Seems like that has stopped. Now, it appears vacation times over for the crash test dummies. Better start protecting our rides.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I love the learning process. A car can be like a puzzle sometimes. Wife keeps trying to tell me "I told you so, should have had a shop do it" when I get frustrated... but that's the challenge; that's the fun.

Oh and since I had the car up, I installed one of the exhaust clamps I bought from the dealer to fix the rattle. And since I had the bumper off and room to play, I drained the rad and refilled (it was due anyway). And since other panels were off I took the intake restrictor out. I will actually plumb the intake directly to the front scoop later. Right now it's running fine. Also spent a while looking at the engine cradle. I'm thinking a couple spacers on the rear motor mount will allow shifting the entire cradle forward just a tad. That would give me just a little more caster.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
I love the learning process. A car can be like a puzzle sometimes. Wife keeps trying to tell me "I told you so, should have had a shop do it" when I get frustrated... but that's the challenge; that's the fun.

Oh and since I had the car up, I installed one of the exhaust clamps I bought from the dealer to fix the rattle. And since I had the bumper off and room to play, I drained the rad and refilled (it was due anyway). And since other panels were off I took the intake restrictor out. I will actually plumb the intake directly to the front scoop later. Right now it's running fine. Also spent a while looking at the engine cradle. I'm thinking a couple spacers on the rear motor mount will allow shifting the entire cradle forward just a tad. That would give me just a little more caster.
There's that great satisfaction in doing so.

I was just thinking about doing some coolant/radiator service myself. Cheap insurance and knowing it's taken care of.
Nobody here has worked with the 1080 scotchprint 3m vinyl?
Louiceman?

I worked with a little but not enough to consider myself the to go for advice here.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Truthfully I didn't get all the old coolant out. They make an adapter piece u can get anywhere they sell coolant that allows you to hook up a garden hose to flush out the engine, but I refuse to put tap water in my cooling system.

On the wrap, what are your thoughts? Do you think when installing and repositioning the adhesive will rip up the rustoleum? Also did you do yours wet?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Truthfully I didn't get all the old coolant out. They make an adapter piece u can get anywhere they sell coolant that allows you to hook up a garden hose to flush out the engine, but I refuse to put tap water in my cooling system.

On the wrap, what are your thoughts? Do you think when installing and repositioning the adhesive will rip up the rustoleum? Also did you do yours wet?
did you sand before you sprayed the rustoleum? If you did it should be ok, if not I would be guessing but I think it would take it up.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sadly I think you are right. Been driving around for five days with the rustoleum and it already has chips. Adhesion is crap. And that was with me sanding before hand. guess I'll be using the good stuff.

Rustoleum was more of a temporary fix any way. So I guess no big deal; I was just hoping to cut a corner. Should have known better.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts