Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I agree that the GT looks great w/out it but, I would like to avoid parking lot dings....suggestions for subtle and tasteful protection? THX

·
Registered
26 Posts
I agree that the GT looks great w/out it but, I would like to avoid parking lot dings....suggestions for subtle and tasteful protection? THX
I am also looking for a little protection from the door ding gnomes. I found some Chrome side molding on Ebay but since the lines of the GT slope up from front to rear, I starting thinking a molding that matches the car color might be the better choice. Here is a vendor that sells colored moldings. Color Keyed Auto Moldings Stylish Look, Great Prices, AutoAmenity.com I have not purchased anything from them yet, nor am I anyway connected to that business. Let me know what you find and/or do.

·
22,793 Posts
Cheapest method is to find a spot where everyone else avoids to keep them from walking so far to their appointed destination. I search out the end spots and get within a few inches of the curb. (Lowering your side mirror angle for reference is your friend) Might be a false sense of security but, two and a half years, and two Elantras later, so far so good. I've theoretically cut my odds of a door ding by 50%.

At a shopping center, you'll see Ingrid sitting "way out there" by herself. My reasoning? Americans are traditionally lazy when it comes to shopping at stores, restaurants, etc. They will do whatever it takes to squeeze into any spot as close to the door as possible.

Besides, a little walking does me and my body good. And Ingrid looks so perfect out there by herself...showing off her fine, sexy, smooth figure to the passersby's. :grin:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
THX for the info guys: I'll keep searching too.

I do the same in mall-parking lots...my buddy always remarks " don't worry I'll get a taxi from here". But....that one time I decide to park w/the masses...a quick stop...bang shopping cart or door dings when I return....I guess I could wrap the entire GT in foam or maybe just lighten up...dings and scratches are going to happen...

·
22,793 Posts
...dings and scratches are going to happen...
Not in 2 1/2 years they haven't, LOL. {Knocking knuckles on top of head}

Offer to split the taxi fare with your friend. That should half-way please him.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
...yes KNOK KNOCK KNOCK ON WOOD...but I do have to get a hood reflector also...even though I don't like the look-it's for protection...will be driving 3,000KM to the coast...

·
22,793 Posts
Plasti-Dip it...or not. You could get a can of matching paint at the auto store and try that.
They're easy to remove and reinstall, so you could save it for the next road trip.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Howdy...I fear a paint can or anything that needs my hands for application is not an option...not as good as I once was w/minor fixes...I guess it's the hood reflector...I don't mind the bugs hitting the windshield, they'll keep me awake on long drives...it's the stones coming off trucks that I'm concerned about...

·
Registered
128 Posts
The majority of chips/knicks in my paint on the front are not anywhere near the hood deflector/hood. In my experience the flat front part of the bumper right beside the license plate gets beat up pretty bad by rocks and whatnot, along with underneath my fog lights. Had the car 4 months and there's already 5+ chips on my bumper. Whenever I get the paint redone on the bumper I will not hesitate about a clear 3M bra.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I parked next to a huge lifted truck and didnt think twice about it, got back to the car and it looks like they opened their door right into side view mirror, it was pushed packwards and the paint was taken off it:mad::mad::mad:

I told the wife I now have a reason to get the turn signal mirrors haha

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's a drag...I would love to catch folks like that on video-'Parking Lot Wars'.

I inquired about 3M shield...dealer sends it out...any idea where that could be in Oakville area and the cost?

·
Registered
890 Posts
That's a drag...I would love to catch folks like that on video-'Parking Lot Wars'.

I inquired about 3M shield...dealer sends it out...any idea where that could be in Oakville area and the cost?
Tinting places often offer it.
Also Rust Check rustproofing listed it where I had it done (Stoney Creek - & maybe other locations)

·
Registered
2,295 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Nice, thanks for posting the link with photo. I think I like the body colored molding better than the chrome.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts