Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They weren't supposed to arrive until today, I thought.

I didn't get home till literally 11:30ish last night and was surprised to see the box on my door step.

Soooooo....being who I am, I stayed up till about 2:00AM re-wiring/re-pinning them and making them work.

I was disappointed not to receive any instructions with them, since they were supposedly brand new...but I'm an electronics technician/engineer type, so I figured out what I had to do and got it done.

Enough talking! Here are some quick pics I snapped this morning once I arrived at work. Sorry the car is dirty...weather has been wet and nasty lately. :p

Seriously, though...just WOW. These tail-lights are even more dramatic of a visual upgrade than anything else I've done to my car....and that's saying a lot. LOL

It's always gratifying to put in your own elbow grease when you are modifying your car too. How rewarding.

So yeah! These tail-lights ROCK!!!!

And I got them for $310 shipped off eBay! ^.^ I don't mind telling you guys how much I paid because I'll NEVER sell them! hahaha

·
Registered
41 Posts
THEY LOOK AWESOME!!! I was thinking about getting me a set for Christmas. Anyway you could give me a little help figuring out the wiring?

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
THEY LOOK AWESOME!!! I was thinking about getting me a set for Christmas. Anyway you could give me a little help figuring out the wiring?
Basically, the plugs of the new headlights don't match the factory plugs on the car.

I had to figure all this out myself because mine didn't come with instructions. I didn't have the right tools to do it, either...but long story short...you have to physically remove the wires/pins from both the new headlights and your factory headlights because they don't match, and then use the factory plug on the new headlights.

For the smaller trunk-lid portion, the new light uses 3 wires where-as the factory light uses 2. That was easy to figure out. Thankfully the car is actually already wired with 3, so it was pretty easy to figure that out. One was ground, one was the reverse light, and one was the new red LED portion.

The actual tail-light section was a little different.

There are 4 wires/pins for the factory lights, but the new lights had 5 wires/pins.

You have to basically splice 2 ground wires together on the new lights to go from 5 to 4.

From there it was just a matter of comparing how the pins are placed into the plug to make sure they lit up correctly.

Because I didn't have the right tools, I basically had to butcher the factory headlight wire/pins by ripping them out of the plug completely.

Thankfully I was able to basically "push" out the pins of the new headlights by squeezing the pin with pliers and pushing them out.

With that said, I would recommend having the right tools on-hand to either properly remove the pins and/or having some replacement pin-connectors just in case.

·
Registered
330 Posts
wow really nice. I also have similar LED taillights but my disappointment was what you fixed. It would be awesome if you could show each step of the wiring.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yoshi I might be a little dumb or something. Looks like I have the same lights but nothing that turns on underneath the reverse bulb. Did you have to change something there or did I just purchase the cheap version with nothing on that side :confused::mellow:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yoshi I might be a little dumb or something. Looks like I have the same lights but nothing that turns on underneath the reverse bulb. Did you have to change something there or did I just purchase the cheap version with nothing on that side :confused::mellow:
Easiest way to know is look at the wires coming off of the lights you bought.

Do you see 3 wires or 2?

The factory harness is already pre-wired to receive 3 wires; The stock lights only use 2 though.

If the lights you bought don't have 3 wires, then I dunno what to tell you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yoshi - Somewhat off topic, but I was told by our parts place that the new MY2014 tail lights work with any 2013 Sonata built after April of 2013 and that it's a straight swap, do you know if that's the case?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts