Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else out there unable to use the Bluetooth system in their Sonata?

I have had my car for a month, and figured I would finally pair my cell to the car. Well...

My phone, the Samsung Alias 2 (Samsung UCH-750) is totally unusable. It will pair, however the system then goes into a never-ending "incoming call" loop. If you try to answer the non-existent incoming call the system "ignores" the call and another incoming call is indicated. The only way to end the loop is to turn off the bluetooth on the phone. Then all functionality comes back to the Sonata's head unit.

I tried deleting the phone and pairing again several times. Same result each time.

Just Googled, and turns out no one with an Alias 2 is able to use their phone in a Hyundai product with a factory installed Bluetooth system. Genesis owners, Tucson owners, doesn't matter. Oddly enough, the Alias 1 (UCH-740) is compatible. You would think the new version would also work.

Guess I will have to wait until I am eligible for a cellphone upgrade from my carrier and try to find one that works with the Sonata. In the meantime, the Bluetooth system in my car is useless. Incidentally, the Alias 2 phone is compatible with the Ford Sync system.

Anyone else in the same boat?

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I haven't had any issues with the bluetooth. In fact it works great with my Blackberry Bold. Might be time to invest in a new phone that is compatible with the built in blue tooth.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
I used to work for an Audi dealer and was hanging around the drive while the salesman was introducing a family to their brand-new, fully loaded Q7. Imagine their disappointment (and likely the salesman's embarrassment) when the phone wouldn't pair. It would link up and drop it 30 seconds later. Another half minute it would pick up and drop and this continued in an eternal loop, much like what you've described. Turns out their model of phone was not compatible with the Audi Bluetooth system.

Not all phones are compatible...it's an unfortunate fact of life.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
QUOTE (alex2006sonata @ Jun 1 2010, 11:03 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=328665
I haven't had any issues with the bluetooth. In fact it works great with my Blackberry Bold. Might be time to invest in a new phone that is compatible with the built in blue tooth.
Unfortunately the Samsung Alias 2 is a new phone...I am only 6 months in on a 2 year contract. I am looking into paying the $175 early termination charge to get out of this phone and into something compatible.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
QUOTE (wacktool @ Jun 1 2010, 09:22 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=328637
I didnt see it listed on Hyundai's website as being compatable.

Site
True, it isn't listed. I was hoping it would have been close enough to the previous model that it would work. Oh well. Hyundai does indicate that even if a phone isn't listed it may still work with the system. I wasn't lucky enough for that to happen.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the Alias II and experienced the exact same problem. I have one year left on my contract so I will be switching phones so I can use the bluetooth as well. Bummer. :-(

·
Registered
589 Posts
Man, that's stupid. EVERY bluetooth enabled phone should be able to at least answer and receive calls. I can undertand not being compatible with the phonebook downloading, but not answering/receiving calls? Are we expected to upgrade the freaking car every 2 years too? That's ridiculous. The basic bluetooth protocol shouldn't change, but guess that's not the case. Thanks for the heads up. And for us who have more than 1 cars with bluetooth is a royal PITA. My phone works perfectly on the M3, but can't read my phonebook on the Sonata. Frustrating indeed, but at least I can answer and receive calls, and can record my own phonebook. Take care.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
QUOTE (elp_jc @ Jun 2 2010, 03:00 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=328888
Man, that's stupid. EVERY bluetooth enabled phone should be able to at least answer and receive calls. I can undertand not being compatible with the phonebook downloading, but not answering/receiving calls? Are we expected to upgrade the freaking car every 2 years too? That's ridiculous. The basic bluetooth protocol shouldn't change, but guess that's not the case. Thanks for the heads up. And for us who have more than 1 cars with bluetooth is a royal PITA. My phone works perfectly on the M3, but can't read my phonebook on the Sonata. Frustrating indeed, but at least I can answer and receive calls, and can record my own phonebook. Take care.
It is very ridiculous. I would be very happy with just the ability to call/receive even if it means dialing with the handset. Any Bluetooth phone should at least be able to do that.

I figure the $175 termination fee now is cheaper than the $1300 I would spend over the next 18 months just to ride out the contract and get a new phone at the end.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Ahh that sucks about just recently getting the phone. Might be worth stopping in at a wireless store and seeing if you can get a decent deal on a new phone even though you won't be elibible for the best prices. Then you won't have to pay a cancellation fee (unless of course you want to switch providers). You might be able to find a used or refurbished one too for pretty cheap.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I am waiting for new iPhone and hoping it will not have this kind of issue. :unsure:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,
I just purchased a 2011 Sonata and tried to pair a Samsung SCH-R420 and had the exact same results. I contacted Samsung and allerted them to the problem. They said that they are working on a new bluetooth compatability fix that will hopefully fix the problem with my phone model. They could not give a time frame but said it would be shortly. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
QUOTE (ryster @ Jun 1 2010, 07:19 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=328607
Anyone else out there unable to use the Bluetooth system in their Sonata?

I have had my car for a month, and figured I would finally pair my cell to the car. Well...

My phone, the Samsung Alias 2 (Samsung UCH-750) is totally unusable. It will pair, however the system then goes into a never-ending "incoming call" loop. If you try to answer the non-existent incoming call the system "ignores" the call and another incoming call is indicated. The only way to end the loop is to turn off the bluetooth on the phone. Then all functionality comes back to the Sonata's head unit.

I tried deleting the phone and pairing again several times. Same result each time.

Just Googled, and turns out no one with an Alias 2 is able to use their phone in a Hyundai product with a factory installed Bluetooth system. Genesis owners, Tucson owners, doesn't matter. Oddly enough, the Alias 1 (UCH-740) is compatible. You would think the new version would also work.

Guess I will have to wait until I am eligible for a cellphone upgrade from my carrier and try to find one that works with the Sonata. In the meantime, the Bluetooth system in my car is useless. Incidentally, the Alias 2 phone is compatible with the Ford Sync system.

Anyone else in the same boat?
I have an iphone and no issues here. My sonata has almost 10.000 miles on it with no problems at all. (knock on wood).

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
QUOTE (rui74 @ Jun 3 2010, 06:17 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=329353
I have an iphone and no issues here. My sonata has almost 10.000 miles on it with no problems at all. (knock on wood).

RUI -
can you tell me if you can limit the contacts transferred on the iPhone to just a list of favorites?
(I have over 1000 contacts, and I would like to be able to limit them)

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I may have solved my problem.

I bought a $20 TracFone...Motorola W376g. It is listed as a compatible phone on the Hyundai site (with the exception of auto phonebook download...no biggie.)

I am going to experiment with it for a couple of weeks and see how it goes. If I like it, and the TracFone service/coverage overall, I may just make the TracFone my only cell phone, and terminate my contract on the Samsung. I do not use my cellphone more than 45 minutes each month, so the "pay-as-you go" type plan would work fine for me as opposed to the $75/month for 400 minutes plan I have on my contract.

If the TracFone doesn't work out, then I will only be out $20 and will just wait for some sort of upgrade for the Samsung phone.

·
Registered
43 Posts
QUOTE (ryster @ Jun 3 2010, 10:21 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=329447
I may have solved my problem.

I bought a $20 TracFone...Motorola W376g. It is listed as a compatible phone on the Hyundai site (with the exception of auto phonebook download...no biggie.)

I am going to experiment with it for a couple of weeks and see how it goes. If I like it, and the TracFone service/coverage overall, I may just make the TracFone my only cell phone, and terminate my contract on the Samsung. I do not use my cellphone more than 45 minutes each month, so the "pay-as-you go" type plan would work fine for me as opposed to the $75/month for 400 minutes plan I have on my contract.

If the TracFone doesn't work out, then I will only be out $20 and will just wait for some sort of upgrade for the Samsung phone.
While your phone may not be compatible at all a lot of times I've been able to get around this with customers simply by erasing the pairings on both the phone and the car then resetting the phone and "re-pairing" the connection (I know bad pun right?! :p) Otherwise wait for a new update for the phone to see if it fixes the problem (or check to see if you have the latest one).

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
QUOTE (sdaume @ Jun 4 2010, 01:06 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=329485
While your phone may not be compatible at all a lot of times I've been able to get around this with customers simply by erasing the pairings on both the phone and the car then resetting the phone and "re-pairing" the connection (I know bad pun right?! :p) Otherwise wait for a new update for the phone to see if it fixes the problem (or check to see if you have the latest one).
Thanks. I have tried the reset/"re-pairing" from scratch attempt several times and it did not work at all.

Samsung was most unhelpful. They basically said tough luck, talk to Hyundai. They further said there are no current plans to issue any updates to my model phone, but they would look into my concerns to see if an update to the bluetooth protocol is warranted. My phone is running the most current firmware.

The Motorola W376g works flawlessly. The lack of auto phonebook download is not a problem. I just manually entered my most frequent contacts into the Sonata's phonebook.

·
Registered
17 Posts
When I used to own a 2011 SE (See thanks Hyundai post),

I found my Alias 2 was incompaitable.

Almost two years left on my contract.

What to do?

The young guy at the Verizon store gave me a great idea. Buy a compatible on Ebay. I bought an LG Dare for $76.00. I put the Alias on Ebay and sold for $102.00. The Dare works, I mean worked great abd I made a few bucks.

I'm sure the Dare will work just fine in my replacement 2011.

CC
:banana:

·
Registered
201 Posts
QUOTE (sdaume @ Jun 4 2010, 12:06 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=329485

How do you add phone numbers to the Sonata's address book? I did not know you could do this. I have a Motorola V3....basic cellphone, no smart stuff.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
QUOTE (AWAHOO @ Jun 5 2010, 09:57 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=330161
How do you add phone numbers to the Sonata's address book? I did not know you could do this. I have a Motorola V3....basic cellphone, no smart stuff.
Press the voice button on the steering wheel

Say "Phonebook"

When prompted to, say "Add Entry"

The system will prompt you through everything. One tip, when speaking the phone number for the entry say the full number with no pausing.

Also be careful using the word "cell" in phonebook entry names. I wanted to use "Dad Cell", and the system kept thinking I was saying "cancel" and would end the phonebook entry process. Used the name "Dad Mobile" instead.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts