Hyundai Forums banner

Bluetooth Phonebook - Names Reversed?!

16K views 33 replies 22 participants last post by  Cerberus451 
#1 ·
Ok so on my Sonata when I try to make phone calls on my iPhone 4 connected to bluetooth it has the names flipped. Meaning if I want to call John Smith, I need to say "Call Smith John" and on the display it says "Smith John"

Is this normal? or how can I fix this?

#6 ·
QUOTE (jthomas8946 @ Sep 28 2010, 07:08 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=359330
If anyone knows of a fix for this, I am also interested in hearing it. I even went as far as putting both first and last names in the first name column and the system still reversed them.
r u serious? that doesn't even make sense... how/why would it reverse two words in a first name? What about people with two first names, say Mary Jane. Would that flip it to Jane Mary??

#7 ·
QUOTE (tom53086 @ Sep 28 2010, 12:19 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=359381
r u serious? that doesn't even make sense... how/why would it reverse two words in a first name? What about people with two first names, say Mary Jane. Would that flip it to Jane Mary??
Yes, I am serious. I might try and put both names in the last name field and see if it flips. For someone else having this same problem, test putting both names in the first name field and see what happens for you.

#8 ·
k I tried putting both names in the "first name" field and it did NOT flip them. It kept them in the proper order. I have no idea why it flipped them for you....

but still this isn't an adequate solution for me. I want to be able to put the names into my phone correctly!!

#11 ·
I had an iphone 3GS with OS 3.13. I was able to change the sort order to get it to be firstname lastname. Then I upgraded the OS to 4 and after the update I was not able to change the order ....it was always lastname firstname. I then purchased and Iphone 4 with OS 4.1 on it and it was exactly the same...lastname firstname. Apple changed something in OS 4 causing the issue. I doubt Hyundai will put out an update for it.

#13 ·
Since this does not appear to be all phones, it may not actually be a Hyundai Sonata issue.

I know that there were many people complaining about numerous "problems" with virtually all versions of MS Windows when, upon further investigation, the problem was not caused by Windows at all.

This could be a similar situation.

#14 ·
Mine were also reversed. However, many of my contacts were reversed when I imported them into my Android from Google (ie, the first name was in the last name field, and vice versa). Over the last year, I finally got them correct--and now my car has them backwards! If anyone comes up with a fix (other than switching them all in my phone again, which only moves the problem), please post it! :liebe011:

#18 ·
This is a very annoying issue that I'm having also, I feel stupid if I have a passenger in the car and have to say call "cell dad's" they look at me funny. Plus I tried to show off the car and had to do this and it didn't really make it sound to amazing.

I really hope someone (Hyundai or Motorola) can come up with a fix for this. I will check this thread to see if anyone finds a way to fix this.

#21 ·
QUOTE (jthomas8946 @ Dec 28 2010, 11:24 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=384097
I am curious if anyone has found a fix for this. It seems to be happening to the latest phones with the latest Bluetooth Stack (IPhone 4, Evo 4G, etc...)

Thanks
Not quite that simple... Unfortunately, although BlueTooth is a "standard", and manufacturers of BT compatible equipment can make their devices BT 2.0 or 3.0 compliant, that still leaves tremendous room for varying implementations. If you start to dig down into the BT protocol definitions, you'll find that "name" is actually a single field called "Name" that is supposed to hold a "structured representation of the name", and another called "Formatted Name" which is described as...(you guessed it) a "formatted representation of the name". It's up to the implementer to select a parsing character (e.g., a semi-colon) to separate first and last name...and of course, it's conceivable that some phones store the name internally as "first name / last name" while others store it as "last name / first name" in this "structured field". Same goes for "formatted name".

Transferring the name adds another layer of potential confusion, as names have been, until this past year, transferred using OBEX (object exchange protocol) which is intended to be extremely generalized. As such - it's powerful and flexible, but this also means that there's a lot of room for varying implementation of code that interprets the files being received (and sometimes getting them wrong). Recently, a new BT Profile was introduced - "PBAP", which is intended to support transfer of contacts using vCard format. Many of you will recognized the term "vCard", as this is yet another standard used by programs such as MS Outlook for exporting and important contacts. However, take a look at this sample of vCard 2.1 encoding (just the first few lines of a contact):

BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:2.1
N:Gump;Forrest
FN:Forrest Gump
ORG:Bubba Gump Shrimp Co.
TITLE:Shrimp Man
TEL;WORK;VOICE:(111) 555-1212
TEL;HOME;VOICE:(404) 555-121

Notice that, once again, the "N" field allows the implementer to store first and last name in one field, separated by a semi-colon. Sometimes the programmers writing the software that interprets vCards will attempt to parse the names in different ways than were intended by the programmers who wrote the software that encoded the vCards. This issue won't hurt normal use of a device -- just mess things up when it tries to talk to another device that doesn't understand non-standard encoding.

Hopefully, one day, this will be a bit more explicitly standardized -- or at least BT implementations will us, as users, to determine how name fields are parsed (e.g., let us tell the Sonata's BT device whether the contacts it's receiving for a particular paired device are in FN/LN order, or LN/FN, so it knows how to interpret them when the phone book is transferred in).

--

In the meantime - re: new vs old BT devices being compatible or not:

Some old (3 years) Blackberry's, and old BT compliant phones work just fine with the Sonata's BT stack. My 8900 (from T-Mobile), does NOT work properly with my Sonata (2011 2.4L Limited, no Nav) -- it pairs, receives calls fine, initiates calls, number dialing by voice is superb and accurate -- dialing by name, by voice, is unusable. However I was just at the dealer today with a service writer -- we tried the 8900 (which is listed as fully compatible on the Hyundai website) with several cars. Turns out that voice recognition is fine with a Nav-based BT unit -- but not with the no-Nav audio (although the names still come through Last Name first).

However...we tried an iPhone 3, and it worked fine with my car -- excellent voice dialing / recognition, however this was STILL backwards. Today, we also tried a Droid X, newest of the all the devices we've tried -- and it was perfect. Phonebook transferred in a few seconds (a couple of hundred contacts), and name recognition was excellent -- using First Name / Last Name. It was even smart enough to allow us to mention first name only, and it offered up the phonebook entry with that first name -- properly pronouncing first and last name.

So "new" isn't necessarily the distinction that determines whether BT phone book transfer will work properly or not. There's clearly some internal file encoding going on, and some manufacturers do it in a way that the Hyundai BT implementation understands, and some don't.

I wish there were a better answer, as I'm currently very frustrated. One decision I've made is this: before getting another BT compliant phone, I intend to have salesperson from the mobile carrier walk out to my car with me so we can test compatibility together on the spot. No more time consuming surprises!

- Jon

#23 ·
QUOTE (WHipLAsh13 @ Feb 16 2011, 03:17 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=402954
Has anyone received any further information regarding this issue? I just purchased a 2011 Sonata and have an iPhone 4 with iOS 4.2.1 and have the same issue regardless of how I order my contacts.
Eagerly awaiting some info, too.

Blackberry Curve worked just fine. Screen finally died on that phone so I replaced it with a Blackberry Bold. Now I have to speak my contacts in reverse order (last/first). Nothing else was changed except the phone. Old contacts were transferred right into it.

#24 ·
The 2011 Elantra works the same way for BT phone, if you don't want to say last name, first name then put the entire name first last in the top box. There is a TSB on this - as designed, I doubt its going to change and really its not a big deal. At least for me its not

#26 ·
I had the same program with my driod X. What the problem is the on the driod is has name on the second line is has as family name. The solution for me was putting the all the info on the first line and then it will work fine.

currently have to say: CELL JOHN

line one: first as give name: JOHN
Line two: second is family name: CELL

Change given name: JOHN CELL resolves the problem

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.