Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed that first 1 or 2 seconds of a navigation instruction (from smartphone... don't have navigation on my 2018 Elantra Ltd.) is being spoken before the "call" reaches the screen. For example "in 100 feet, turn left" is heard as "....feet, turn left".

I have an excellent sense of direction and between that and my 2018's compass in the mirror, I don't need the navigation apps in my phone that often. But when I do, it's kind of annoying that this delay is there. Has anyone else experienced this and is there any fix or solution?

On Waze, there is a setting to "pause spoken audio" which is off by default, without which I was hearing NONE of the instruction. Turning it on, has resulted in the current condition. Also have an app that sends a short beep via Bluetooth when I am a set number of miles per hour over the speed limit. With my new Elantra, the beep is over before the Bluetooth "call" shows up on the screen. Although there IS a gap in the radio broadcast or media being played, so I know it's "trying" to alert me.

This is a pretty minor issue and if this is the worst thing about my new car, I can live with it. But would much prefer a solution or workaround, or at least some hope that it will change in the future.

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
Daughter relies strictly on her iphone for navigation, has a clip for it on her dashboard, uses data, plugs it in to her charger in her base model Soul.

Itunes or android paired with your radio also uses data, and does not work if out of cell phone range. I have an android, had problems pairing with android auto, deleted it from my phone, when to google play and reloaded it, have both google maps and Waze, its working again. But also have factory navigation, but since my BlueLink expired cannot no longer talk to my radio to find some kind of store, but does work by hitting that upper left button on my steering wheel while driving to find what I am looking for

So what's the problem? Your phone or your radio? Know Waze also has a setup screen, for us old timers, seems to be written in Greek. Somehow managed to drive for like 60 years, without GPS, use to stop at a gas station and ask where a particular place was.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I never would stop for directions. Just kept driving until I figured it out, though there some really bad results sometimes.

Once I was in Michigan on my way back to Chicago area from the Upper Peninsula,, driving alongside Lake Michigan on my right, so I “knew” I was going South, right? Well, 2 hours later, The road dead ended into a forested camping area, because I had been going North. The lake on my right was not Lake Michigan, but a smaller local lake.

Anyway, back to the present...

I’d say It’s the radio’s fault, since I have the same IPhone that was perfectly in sync with my 2015 Elantra. But I guess it will be up to either the phone app to add a longer pause or the car manufacturer to shorten the delay. Not sure which is more likely to happen. ☹

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
For as long as I can remember always had one of these in my cars.

Upper Michigan Peninsula is on the west side of Lake Michigan so if driving south, it should be on the left side of the road. Good old Hy 41, so bit confused where you were at. Also from a Chicago suburb, was exposed to some very bad chemicals at work, that and with the new EPA putting catalytic converters on new 1972 cars with high sulfur content generating sulfuric acid, too much for me, so moved up north surrounded by trees, and not quite so crowed.

Can recall at least three android auto phone updates in the last 16 months, sure there is also updates from I tunes, keep on changing stuff. Have to check with my family members, all have iphones, ha, the only one with android have to learn if they had to update.

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
For as long as I can remember always had one of these in my cars.

Upper Michigan Peninsula is on the west side of Lake Michigan so if driving south, it should be on the left side of the road. Good old Hy 41, so bit confused where you were at. Also from a Chicago suburb, was exposed to some very bad chemicals at work, that and with the new EPA putting catalytic converters on new 1972 cars with high sulfur content generating sulfuric acid, too much for me, so moved up north surrounded by trees, and not quite so crowed.

Can recall at least three android auto phone updates in the last 16 months, sure there is also updates from I tunes, keep on changing stuff. Have to check with my family members, all have iphones, ha, the only one with android have to learn if they had to update.
Man, I haven’t seen one of those in quite some time! Could have used one of those in my Huey! Now I know why some nicknamed me “wrong way Captain”!

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
Man, I haven’t seen one of those in quite some time! Could have used one of those in my Huey! Now I know why some nicknamed me “wrong way Captain”!
Or Wrong Way Corrigan, in 1938, was not given permission to make a Transatlantic flight from New York, but was back to California. Said he made a large mistake by landing in Dublin Ireland.

Flying a Piper Cub, Aeronca Champ, or a Cessna 120, that compass was only the piece of navigational equipment you got.

MotorHome has one.

Attachments

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I should have said I was coming back from Macinak Island (makinaw city). Still UP, but eastern end. And have come back through Wisconsin too. A little longer drive, but more scenic.

As for the compass, I have tried several store bought compasses over the last several years and they just would not work once they were in the car. Some magnetic interference from all the electronics?

That’s why I’m so happy to have one in the mirror. ��

·
Registered
126 Posts
I use both Waze and Google maps via android auto and do not experience a delay. I'm not sure which it may be, although I know Waze goes through periods of lag so bad I switch to Google maps.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks. That would seem to indicate it's more on Apple's side, which I think is more likely to change than Hyundai changing the infotainment system already in the car. But then again... there was no delay with my 2015 Elantra. And on the other hand... I don't think I mentioned that it's not just the Bluetooth operations that have a short delay. Even switching radio stations or switching modes, I experience the same delay. It's just that it doesn't impact the other functions the way it does the spoken navigation.

That doesn't encourage me cause I can't see Hyundai considering that a defect and "correcting" it. Unless the navigation apps can increase the delay in speaking instructions by another couple of seconds.

I use both Waze and Google maps via android auto and do not experience a delay. I'm not sure which it may be, although I know Waze goes through periods of lag so bad I switch to Google maps.

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
Macinak Island is one of our favorite visiting spots, bring our own bikes, 15 bucks an hour to rent one that isn't worth ten bucks. Macinak bridge is an engineering marvel opened in 1957, some people freeze when crossing it so have an emergency crew to take over with driving their vehicles.

Grand Hotel is fantastic, wife and I were wearing blue jeans in their restaurant, very formal, we were very nice to the waiters, they gave us extra large portions, stuffy people were not kind to them. Somewhere In Time movie was made there, Christopher Reeves drove his MG there, ha, no vehicles were allowed. $350.00 lowest rate per night was a bit steep for us, stayed in our motorhome.

We also came down on the east side, but took that SS Badger ship to cross Highway 10, rather than drive through Chicago. Gave us good rates, $100.00, ha was lot cheaper than buying gas.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Took the Badger from Ludington (or is it Muskegon?) to Milwaukee many many years ago (1971 or 1973). People on the boat asked us if we knew Al Capone. :smile:

Have thought about taking it as an adult, but always seem to overlook it until we're already past the point where we could pick it up.

Macinak Island is one of our favorite visiting spots, bring our own bikes, 15 bucks an hour to rent one that isn't worth ten bucks. Macinak bridge is an engineering marvel opened in 1957, some people freeze when crossing it so have an emergency crew to take over with driving their vehicles.

Grand Hotel is fantastic, wife and I were wearing blue jeans in their restaurant, very formal, we were very nice to the waiters, they gave us extra large portions, stuffy people were not kind to them. Somewhere In Time movie was made there, Christopher Reeves drove his MG there, ha, no vehicles were allowed. $350.00 lowest rate per night was a bit steep for us, stayed in our motorhome.

We also came down on the east side, but took that SS Badger ship to cross Highway 10, rather than drive through Chicago. Gave us good rates, $100.00, ha was lot cheaper than buying gas.

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
2010 was the first year I got GPS, when driving to downtown Milwaukee, told me to stay on Hy 41, shorter distance, but didn't tell you there was a traffic light on every block, much quicker to switch to 45, and take I-94. Around here, tells me to make a left turn, but does not tell me, these are gravel roads.

Sure needed it in Italy three years ago, while I had maps, zero road signs or route signs, zigzagging through towns, really had to depend on GPS when to make turns, no route signs period. Least here with US 12 or Hy 66, have route signs. Kept my Garmin in my pocket in Venice, no vehicles there, and hundreds of dead ends. Ha, would have never found our way back without it.

Italy is also crazy about roundabouts with 7 or 8 exits, and for whatever reason, their GPS is slow, so had to go around 2 or 3 times to get the correct exit.

Many back roads in Wisconsin, do not have cell phone reception, GPS always works. Hyundai factory GPS is all google, so why 160 bucks for a map update? 220 if you want it on an SD card. Still have that 2010 Garmin, still getting free map updates. UK gets free map updates from Hyundai for five years, are they trying to tell us to move to the UK?

Had major road washouts a year ago last fall with reservations we could not cancel, google maps was the only map that was up to date taking all kinds of back roads. So is nice to have a choice.

Ha, also feel GPS is making us stupid.

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
Google sent me an email with google assistant, says it already updated my phone with it, and also available for iphones. Haven't tried it yet.

Says it can:

These are examples of what you can do:
Get in touch hands-free "Text Mom I'll be there in 20 minutes"
Manage your day "Tell me about my day"
Find your way "Navigate home"
Set reminders "Remind me to book tickets in 3 hours"
Find a nearby location "Where can I eat lunch?"
Adjust phone settings "Mute my phone"

·
Registered
1 Posts
I too am experiencing this issue (2014 Santa Fe Sport with Nav, recently purchased). The built-in nav is pretty bad, so I try to use Google Maps or Apple Maps. Both experience this truncated audio issue. Did not have this problem with my '09 Camry with the same phone. Some commentary around that this is related to A2DP but I don't see any way to change this in either iOS or the Hyundai stack. Makes navigation borderline unusable.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you for your post. I’m so glad to hear that at least one other person on the planet is experiencing this issue.

Most everyone I talk to seems to be shrugging their shoulders, but I gotta believe that if they bought a car that was advertised as having Bluetooth and found out after that purchase that it only sends the last 80% of navigation instructions, they wouldn’t put up with it.

Am going to have to:

1) pressure the dealer to find a solution,

2) look into whether Android phones are affected, and switch from iPhone if that’s the case,

3) and if that doesn’t work, replace the infotainment system with an aftermarket one.

Hoping # 1 is successful, but not optimistic....?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Paired a friend’s android to my Elantra and it doesn’t even have a setting [in Google Maps] to send navigation instructions as a phonecall. This may explain why a poster here said he didn’t experience the delay.

In fact my friend is not even sure if his phone can send navigation as a Bluetooth call. Sounded like he switches to Bluetooth mode in the car to take call and then goes back to wherever he was manually ????

I could be misunderstanding, but in my 2015 and a whole bunch of other cars I drove in the last year, it’s a simple process. Navigation app is set to speak instructions after connecting as a Bluetooth phonecall, it does so, and then disconnects and brings you back to wherever you were (CD, USB stick, radio, etc.).

But 2018 is not quite all the way connected when the navigation app is talking.

Don’t know if the app is talking too soon or the car is “answering” the phonecall too late.

But since the phone number is displayed for a couple seconds before you hear anything, I would think that’s the car’s “fault”.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts