Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I purchased a Kona at the end of June and have discovered a problem that I haven't seen anywhere in this forum or after googling it.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S7 running Android 8.0 that I have paired with my Kona. I thought all was fine and dandy until I started noticing that when I answered a hands-free phone call, I couldn't hear anything at the very beginning of the call and had to turn up the volume. Then I started noticing that I was missing texts and phone calls after I got out of the car since I wasn't getting any notifications of them. The other day, while I was starting my car and the phone bluetooth was connecting to it, I watched the media volume on my phone go from the highest possible sound setting to silent. So it is the car that is forcing the media volume on my phone to go silent. I can't find a bluetooth setting on the car that will prevent this. Has anyone else heard of this? I have un-paired and re-paired the phone but that didn't work. I have changed some phone settings and those didn't work either. I have emailed Hyundai Consumer Affairs and am waiting to hear back from them.

Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks fragile. At least it's some consolation that I'm not the only one with radio/phone issues.

·
Registered
2019 Elantra GT N Line, 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT (SOLD)
1,841 Posts
I dont think its the car forcing the BT media volume down. Typically the phone goes to the last used BT volume before being disconnected. I have an LG G6 which has done this the entire time I have had it with 7.0 and I just got the update for 8.0 two days ago so havent used it much yet. I use several BT audio sources throughout the day including Sony headphones, my car, and BT speakers. Try leaving the BT audio on your phone all the way up then shut the car off and make sure the BT from the car disconnects before you mess with volume on your phone as volume on the phone is different than BT volume but I notice that it takes up to a minute for my car to disconnect from my phone after shutting down so if you get out of the car and silent the phone for example its really turning down the BT volume all the way also.

Basically the BT audio volume is only accessible while using BT audio so if you are using more than just your car during the day (Say headphones) then it changes it when connected to your car as it reverts back to what you had the volume for the headphones at.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I dont think its the car forcing the BT media volume down. Typically the phone goes to the last used BT volume before being disconnected. I have an LG G6 which has done this the entire time I have had it with 7.0 and I just got the update for 8.0 two days ago so havent used it much yet. I use several BT audio sources throughout the day including Sony headphones, my car, and BT speakers. Try leaving the BT audio on your phone all the way up then shut the car off and make sure the BT from the car disconnects before you mess with volume on your phone as volume on the phone is different than BT volume but I notice that it takes up to a minute for my car to disconnect from my phone after shutting down so if you get out of the car and silent the phone for example its really turning down the BT volume all the way also.

Basically the BT audio volume is only accessible while using BT audio so if you are using more than just your car during the day (Say headphones) then it changes it when connected to your car as it reverts back to what you had the volume for the headphones at.
Thanks for the suggestion justink. I will try that when I get out of the car tonight.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hopefully you found that justink's suggestion worked. It exactly describes how I have always seen BT audio work.
Unfortunately, it didn't work. I don't use BT headphones for my phone but I did have it paired with my tablet and my TV. I have unpaired everything from the phone except for the car. I even did a factory reset of the radio. Nothing has worked. With the BT on my phone turned on, I get into the car and as soon as it connects with the Kona, the media volume goes down to zero.

I did find a media volume button in the car audio settings to automatically limit the volume if the BT is set too loud. The factory default was to have the box checked to limit it. I have un-checked the box and that didn't work. I have also removed any media limitations on the phone's volume. That didn't help. I am at a loss except for taking it to the dealer. I might wait though as my phone started acting up this weekend and began restarting itself for no apparent reason. I am going to just wait this volume issue out until I get the S9 to see if the problem still exists with it.

In the meantime though, one thing that had been bothering me were the fog lights. I don't know why Hyundai put LED headlights and running lights on the Kona but left the fog lights at the old-fashioned standard lights. I upgraded those this weekend to LED and yeah, it looks great now!

·
Registered
190 Posts
In the meantime though, one thing that had been bothering me were the fog lights. I don't know why Hyundai put LED headlights and running lights on the Kona but left the fog lights at the old-fashioned standard lights. I upgraded those this weekend to LED and yeah, it looks great now!
I'm picking up my new Kona in a few hours and will definitely check this function out (using an original Google Pixel) during my intro session.

Very interested in your fog light LED swap as I was .02¢ short of doing this on my outgoing '16 Tucson. Can you post the link of where you got yours w/ model #? Any pics of the new lights in action?

Cheers

·
Registered
167 Posts
Make sure the phone isn't going it to a power saving mode and turn up the phone volume. Also make sure the auto volume setting in the Kona is not set to low. Are you using the Android app (Android Auto icon) like the Apple CarPlay Icon?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Make sure the phone isn't going it to a power saving mode and turn up the phone volume. Also make sure the auto volume setting in the Kona is not set to low. Are you using the Android app (Android Auto icon) like the Apple CarPlay Icon?
JR, the volume in the Kona is not set to low. The issue doesn't apply to the Android Auto app, which is on the phone, as this happens when it is not even plugged in to the USB. As soon as the phone connects to the Kona via BT, the media volume goes straight to zero.

I took it to the dealer on Monday and no one could help me out. I am pretty sure this problem is on the phone's end, not the vehicle. I just can't figure out if it with the Galaxy or the Android OS on the phone. As I am in the market for a new phone in the next month or so, I will check with Verizon to see if they can help me out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I'm picking up my new Kona in a few hours and will definitely check this function out (using an original Google Pixel) during my intro session.

Very interested in your fog light LED swap as I was .02¢ short of doing this on my outgoing '16 Tucson. Can you post the link of where you got yours w/ model #? Any pics of the new lights in action?

Cheers
On Amazon, search for DDM Tuning Lynx 35W LED Headlights / Foglight Bulbs,5500 Lumens/Pr, COB Chip, 6000K,Pair, 2 Months Warranty--FBA (H8/H9/H11 . They run $44.95 for the pair.

(I am still kind of new at this forum posting stuff and the direct link isn't showing up for some reason.)

I found out about them on another Kona forum. Apparently the original poster had problems with a few other models either not connecting properly or getting dashboard error messages after installation. However, these DO NOT create any error messages...just plug and go. It took about 20 mins, start to finish.

Attachments

·
Registered
167 Posts
JR, the volume in the Kona is not set to low. The issue doesn't apply to the Android Auto app, which is on the phone, as this happens when it is not even plugged in to the USB. As soon as the phone connects to the Kona via BT, the media volume goes straight to zero.

I took it to the dealer on Monday and no one could help me out. I am pretty sure this problem is on the phone's end, not the vehicle. I just can't figure out if it with the Galaxy or the Android OS on the phone. As I am in the market for a new phone in the next month or so, I will check with Verizon to see if they can help me out.
I understand. However there is and icon on your touch screen for the the Android based phone, assuming you have an Ultimate or Limited with the tech package. I'm not sure which trim model you have. You have to plug the phone in to the USB port for it to work. Have you done this? If not you need to do so, then you can access the Kona Android Touchscreen icon and it's settings. The reason why I asked is there are additional setting in the Kona Android App on the touch screen. I don't have an Android based phone but I have an Apple with the CarPlay function.

Just checking all the possibilities and trying to help. :smile:

Blessings and Peace

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I understand. However there is and icon on your touch screen for the the Android based phone, assuming you have an Ultimate or Limited with the tech package. I'm not sure which trim model you have. You have to plug the phone in to the USB port for it to work. Have you done this? If not you need to do so, then you can access the Kona Android Touchscreen icon and it's settings. The reason why I asked is there are additional setting in the Kona Android App on the touch screen. I don't have an Android based phone but I have an Apple with the CarPlay function.

Just checking all the possibilities and trying to help. :smile:

Blessings and Peace
I have used the Android Auto app but not for a few weeks. I will load it when I have a chance and check the app settings on the touchscreen and on the app itself. Thanks for the suggestion. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
167 Posts
One other thing; Check your the Kona touchscreen setting by; touching the setting icon then, bluetooth icon and make sure the voice prompts are on. Make sure the voice prompt setting is on. There is also an auto volume adjust for the settings icon, then radio icon, then auto volume.

Blessing and Peace.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Thanks for the fog light info.

I also have noticed that sound goes to 0 but only when streaming bluetooth from the phone - disconnected.
When connected via the usb cord for A/Auto it works perfectly. So it must be something about bluetooth streaming.

I'm not too worried, as I use A/Auto most of the time for easy routing to daily/ weekly jobs.

·
Registered
1 Posts
MJRinFLA, I am having the same problem with my Kona and Samsung S7 phone. When the phone connects to the Kona via Bluetooth, the volume on the phone immediately goes from 100% down to zero. If the phone is not accessible to turn the volume back up, I am not able to listen to my phone music in my car. This is a big problem because when I get out of the car the phone is on silent and I am not hearing any calls or notifications. I usually get around this by connecting Android Auto even for short trips, because Android Auto seems to override the phone volume while you are in the car. I think that I still don't have phone volume when I get out of the car though. I have been searching the internet for a fix, but have not been successful. This is the first time that I have encountered someone with the same problem. Please let me know if you find a solution.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
MJRinFLA, I am having the same problem with my Kona and Samsung S7 phone. When the phone connects to the Kona via Bluetooth, the volume on the phone immediately goes from 100% down to zero. If the phone is not accessible to turn the volume back up, I am not able to listen to my phone music in my car. This is a big problem because when I get out of the car the phone is on silent and I am not hearing any calls or notifications. I usually get around this by connecting Android Auto even for short trips, because Android Auto seems to override the phone volume while you are in the car. I think that I still don't have phone volume when I get out of the car though. I have been searching the internet for a fix, but have not been successful. This is the first time that I have encountered someone with the same problem. Please let me know if you find a solution.
Well I might have found a solution but it means upgrading your phone to the S9, which is what I did last week. :laugh:

One thing that I did find on the S9 which I do believe is on the S7 as well is the "media volume limiter". I thought that I had done this on the S7 but I could be mistaken. Go to settings/sounds and vibration/volume. On that screen are 3 dots in the upper right-hand corner of the screen. Hit those dots and the "media volume limiter" box pops up. Turn the media volume limiter "on" and then slide the custom volume limit to the max. This is what I have done on the S9 and so far there don't seem to be any problems.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I had also found a solution to the music playing via A/A at much lower volumes than radio and Sirius.
Using Google play for my portable tunes, I went into Settings > Equalizer and turned off the Equalizer boost.

I was AMAZED that this one switch netted back MUCH better volume from A/A when USB connected.

·
Registered
1 Posts
OMG this has been driving me crazy also. It has to be the car, because it doesn't happen with my sound bar, headphones or any other Bluetooth device with my Samsung S7 and now Samsung S9 (so it's not the phone). I keep my phone in my purse and my purse in backseat to not be tempted to text and drive, well now I need phone because media volume automatically goes to ZERO which irritates the heck out of me. This issue arose about 3-4 months ago with my 2017 Elantra.

·
Registered
167 Posts
With the iPhone just turn off the equalizer. It will allow full volume from the phone to the head unit.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts