Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new 2016 Hyundai Tucson with the high end navigation package.

It takes a very long time for the bluetooth to connect to the system, sometimes as long as 60 seconds. While it's trying to connect (every time I start the car) it switches the radio mode from Media / Bluetooth to the Radio mode. (On my 8 year old Ford it takes 8 seconds or less and always stays in the bluetooth mode.) Since I don't use the radio very much it plays a loud scratchy radio station. I usually have to turn the volume down and then keep repeatedly hitting the Media button until the phone finally connects and it will switch over to bluetooth. Sort of defeats the purpose of a hands free system because the first minute or two of driving always involves fiddling with the buttons to get it to the settings I had before I last shut the car off.

Is there any way to get the iPhone to connect to the bluetooth faster?

Is there any way to keep the mode set to Bluetooth / Media? On my Ford if my phone has bluetooth turned off, it simply finds no paired phones, but keeps the phone on bluetooth mode with nothing playing from the speakers.

Thanks for any help!

Also, I have a friend who also wants to buy a Tucson, but this issue is preventing him from buying one, since his old car connects instantly and stays on bluetooth.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
557 Posts
Do you know what version of the Hyundai infotainment software that you're running (Setup ---> System Info)? I know that while not quick, my wife and I rarely have to wait more than 30 seconds with our respective iPhones. The version that came with our 2016 was flaky to say the least in multiple ways. We upgraded 10 and it has been solid.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe we are running the current version as it now allows Apple Play when you plug in the phone. Connect times may be 30 seconds sometimes, but most of the time it's between 30 and 60 seconds and definitely faster with the updated software.

Are you able to keep it on the media / bluetooth mode? That's my main gripe!

·
Registered
557 Posts
I believe we are running the current version as it now allows Apple Play when you plug in the phone. Connect times may be 30 seconds sometimes, but most of the time it's between 30 and 60 seconds and definitely faster with the updated software.

Are you able to keep it on the media / bluetooth mode? That's my main gripe!
To be honest, I have not noted that. Wait.... That's not quite true.

I have noted that if I stop someplace for a coffee which would require me to turn off the car, I do not it starts back up where I left off IF I leave my iPhone plugged into the car via USB. It will not do this if I disconnect the phone or the car sits there for say an hour or something. I do also note that if the radio was on the last time the car was started, it will stay there. Same from SiriusXM. Ditto for the AV system being "off". I can test the Bluetooth scenario tonight as I have a long drive home from my last client of the day and see if that works or doesn't work.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To be honest, I have not noted that. Wait.... That's not quite true.

I have noted that if I stop someplace for a coffee which would require me to turn off the car, I do not it starts back up where I left off IF I leave my iPhone plugged into the car via USB. It will not do this if I disconnect the phone or the car sits there for say an hour or something. I do also note that if the radio was on the last time the car was started, it will stay there. Same from SiriusXM. Ditto for the AV system being "off". I can test the Bluetooth scenario tonight as I have a long drive home from my last client of the day and see if that works or doesn't work.
Thanks for your reply. Yes, if it was on Radio or XM it stays there. I believe it also stays where I left off if the phone is plugged in. It is only the Bluetooth / Media setting that switches.

·
Registered
103 Posts
In my Tucson the moment an android phone or iOS phone is connected to HU BT gets connected automatically ( like immediately ) but i have to manually select android auto or car play, till then the system plays the last radio station which was played. I am annoyed by this as well, i don't want the stupid HU to play anything until i ask it to do so.

·
Registered
557 Posts
So I tested this last night and I can confirm what @Jamooche is saying along with what I said earlier. For bonus points, I also tested to see how long it takes my iPhone to connect over Bluetooth by starting the car 10 times and noting how long it took to connect. The longest that I had to wait was 45 seconds. Every other connection was between 35 and 40 seconds.

For what it's worth, I am running version 10 of the infotainment software which was released last July by MnSOFT. The latest version is 10.5 which was released last month. I do note that in every release going back to version 9, this line appears in the release notes:

"Enhanced phone compatibility and Bluetooth pairing"

This implies that at least the pairing part is a known issue.

·
Registered
103 Posts
So I tested this last night and I can confirm what @Jamooche is saying along with what I said earlier. For bonus points, I also tested to see how long it takes my iPhone to connect over Bluetooth by starting the car 10 times and noting how long it took to connect. The longest that I had to wait was 45 seconds. Every other connection was between 35 and 40 seconds.
Blame it on iPhone. I use android with a NFC tag stuck in the area where we can keep mobile and use trigger app to turn on BT and connect to Tucson HU, it's instant for me less than 5 seconds. I have a spare iPhone and boy does this thing ages to connect to the HU. I can make a video of the speed at which my android phone connects to HU over weekend and share ( only if you need it ).

·
Registered
557 Posts
Blame it on iPhone. I use android with a NFC tag stuck in the area where we can keep mobile and use trigger app to turn on BT and connect to Tucson HU, it's instant for me less than 5 seconds. I have a spare iPhone and boy does this thing ages to connect to the HU. I can make a video of the speed at which my android phone connects to HU over weekend and share ( only if you need it ).

I only have limited experience with Android phones in the Tucson. Basically I used one (a ZTE Axon) to test Android Auto when it first came out so that I can do story on it for my blog. And that was connected via USB. Not by BT so I never saw that. I will test that over the weekend and see if I can replicate what you are seeing.

One thing to consider is that the way Apple implements BT is kind of "interesting." It does way more than your standard BT stack when it pairs with a device because there's way more communication that goes back and forth. And I do mean WAY more. My thought is that the Hyundai infotainment system is tripping over that when it pairs to an iPhone. It will eventually connect, but it takes way longer than it "should". There are ways around that if you follow Apple's guidelines for this sort of thing when it comes to BT:

https://developer.apple.com/bluetooth/

Specifically this:

https://developer.apple.com/hardwaredrivers/BluetoothDesignGuidelines.pdf

This is just an opinion on my part, but I think the slow pairing has something to do with it doing queries for Siri Eyes Free support. That I know does take a bit of time to get sorted.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Apple car play implementation is kind of lame, in-spite of being connected to HU i can still use the phone which beats the whole point of siri eyes free ( why not lock out the display?) .

I love how android auto is implemented connect phone via USB fires up BT and connects to HU via BT for calls and music , data is via USB and the phone just displays Android Auto logo which is kind of a neat feature.

I have noticed in my old car setup ( Pioneer 80PRS ) that iPhone used to take long time to connect to HU where as android phones are instant the moment BT is on.

·
Registered
557 Posts
One thing to keep in mind is that Siri Eyes Free is different than CarPlay. Basically, Siri Eyes Free is a means for a car (or something else) to trigger Siri over BT and route the audio over BT. CarPlay does way more than that.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the info and for everyone else's great responses.

So, it looks like it's an iPhone - Hyundai delayed interaction connection problem. I still don't mind the delayed connection, but just wish I could keep it set to the media / bluetooth mode.

Thanks again for everyone's insight.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a new 2016 Hyundai Tucson with the high end navigation package.

It takes a very long time for the bluetooth to connect to the system, sometimes as long as 60 seconds. While it's trying to connect (every time I start the car) it switches the radio mode from Media / Bluetooth to the Radio mode. (On my 8 year old Ford it takes 8 seconds or less and always stays in the bluetooth mode.) Since I don't use the radio very much it plays a loud scratchy radio station. I usually have to turn the volume down and then keep repeatedly hitting the Media button until the phone finally connects and it will switch over to bluetooth. Sort of defeats the purpose of a hands free system because the first minute or two of driving always involves fiddling with the buttons to get it to the settings I had before I last shut the car off.

Is there any way to get the iPhone to connect to the bluetooth faster?

Is there any way to keep the mode set to Bluetooth / Media? On my Ford if my phone has bluetooth turned off, it simply finds no paired phones, but keeps the phone on bluetooth mode with nothing playing from the speakers.

Thanks for any help!

Also, I have a friend who also wants to buy a Tucson, but this issue is preventing him from buying one, since his old car connects instantly and stays on bluetooth.

Thanks again!
This happens to us as well. My wife has a 2017 Elantra and we both have iPhones and it’s the most annoying thing ever.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I came here searching for a solution as well. The only "solution" I could find was buying a different stereo. BUT he's my psuedo/temporary fix:

Plug something into your AUX port that goes to nothing, such as an adapter or the end of an old earbuds cord cut off (or just plug earbuds into it.) Now it defaults to AUX, which is silence. The other not-as-good option is to program your radio to a blank AM station. You hear static, but it's fairly quiet ... hopefully. I realize you can get interference from the AUX port as well, but like I said - psuedo/temporary fix. My Tucson is brand new and is doing this, so I don't think they're in any hurry to change this system because most people probably love their ears being invaded by broadcast radio and its glorious commercials. Hope this helps. I know I'm less annoyed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts