Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
But...rather than go through all the details from my previous (posts) on this topic. Am simply going to list my specs and the issue, and ask if anyone out there with the same specs has had this problem. Just can’t believe I’m the only 2018 Elantra owner on the planet having this problem and/or caring about it.

My car’s and other specs/issue:

1) 2018 Elantra Ltd.
2) no built in navigation
3) 7 inch display
4) IPhone 5Se (1 yr old, despite older technology)
5) When using Waze or Google Maps or Iphone’s Built in map App, the first part of the spoken message is not heard, because the car’s radio is not fully connecting the phone’s audio immediately upon “answering” the phonecall carrying the Navigation App's voice instructions.

5) This feature apparently is not even available on Android phones as they don’t work at all.

Problem is that no one on the entire planet seems to have experienced this....let alone having a solution.

And please do not tell me about Apple Play or Bluetooth Streaming. In my 2015 Elantra, I could be listening to Sirius Radio (or regular radio or a CD or USB stick and a Navigation instruction would be sent as s phonecall to my radio —-in it’s entitrety!!!!—- and I would then be returned to my regular programming.

I want that STANDARD feature that I was promised this car had, and I want it on this car.

But before I escalate my war with Hyundai.... please tell me SOMEONE else actually HAS this problem.....even if your not interested in fixing it.

·
Registered
349 Posts
4) IPhone 5Se (1 yr old, despite older technology)
5) When using Waze or Google Maps or Iphone’s Built in map App, the first part of the spoken message is not heard

I would try it with a different, newer model iPhone. It would be good to rule out the phone as the cause before escalating with Hyundai.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Did that already with coworkers iPhone 10, and same symptom. Believe me.... I really wanted it to work. Could have gotten s new phone and problem solved.

Although...thought occurred to me after writing this post that early on I dismissed the possibility that I just have a bad unit (radio). This was based on getting into a brand new identical vehicle on the dealer’s lot and experiencing the same issue.

Kind of discounted the possibility that both units could be malfunctioning and decided it must be a design flaw in the radio. Maybe not?

But regardless, someone needs to demonstrate that SOME cellphone will work properly and the burden should be on the dealer or Hyundai to do that. THAT’s why I’m transitioning to a more hostile attitude. If they can’t show me it works then they need to fix it, replace it, or pay for me to buy an aftermarket radio that will work.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They were very nice and last week, and were going to talk to the dealer and get back to me. I said ok, and stated that the dealer had been cooperative and friendly, and that I was only contacting them (Hyundai) cause I felt it was beyond their ability to resolve (because they had basically shrugged their shoulders after the last visit). But also told them that the mechanic did not hear the problem until after the car’s ticket was written and closed out.

Maybe I should have insisted that the dealer reopen the ticket and add some updates notes from the mechanic, but I didn’t. So when Hyundai left a message this week that the service advisor said “no problem found” it infuriated me. Maybe a little mad at myself too, for not insisting on more info being added to the car’s ticket abc for being WAY too patient about this whole thing.

Bottom line... my 2015 Elantra HAD this feature and it worked fine. My 2018 has it too, and it’s NOT working fine. And it’s not likely the dealer could have foreseen this matter, but stilll.... they told me the car Would with the same as my 2015 with Bluetooth and it isn’t.

To some people it’s an obscure feature, but imagine if you were told your new car had intermittent wipers and that feature dint work? Your wipers worked, but no intermittent setting. And suppose the dealer told you to just not use that part of the wiper system? Would you accept it?

Still no one with this issue besides me? Or just no one who posts to the forum?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That does sound as if it could be related, and maybe even provide a clue [to a mechanic] to diagnose. (Am presuming the Kona has the same head unit/radio in it.)

Thank you.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have a bluetooth audio delay issue though its a abit different. when my passengers stream audio while watching youtube there is a solid 1 second delay between that audio and the video on the unit. no resolution that I am aware of yet.

·
Registered
2019 Elantra GT N Line, 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT (SOLD)
1,841 Posts
Is this BT audio issue sort of like a "fade" into the directions the be given?

For example "Take the next turn on the left" is what should be spoken but the audio comes though as "... the next turn on the left"?

Is this happening after the car has been connected to the phone for a while while driving? Just once or?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Is hard to tell if it's fading in, but I think so, yes. There isn't a noticeable increase in volume, but there is no audible click, and now that you mention it, what sounds like silence could also be very low volume at first. But the way you described is exactly how it sounds. Sometimes even starts in the middle of a word.

For your other question, have to qualify my answer. It happens regardless of whether the phone connected (paired) to the car recently or hours ago. But then again, the navigation app is "sending as a Bluetooth call" so each spoken instruction is kind of a new "connection". And that's where the delay is.

Happens on every Navigation instruction. No exceptions.

Is this BT audio issue sort of like a "fade" into the directions the be given?

For example "Take the next turn on the left" is what should be spoken but the audio comes though as "... the next turn on the left"?

Is this happening after the car has been connected to the phone for a while while driving? Just once or?

·
Registered
2019 Elantra GT N Line, 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT (SOLD)
1,841 Posts
Is hard to tell if it's fading in, but I think so, yes. There isn't a noticeable increase in volume, but there is no audible click, and now that you mention it, what sounds like silence could also be very low volume at first. But the way you described is exactly how it sounds. Sometimes even starts in the middle of a word.

For your other question, have to qualify my answer. It happens regardless of whether the phone connected (paired) to the car recently or hours ago. But then again, the navigation app is "sending as a Bluetooth call" so each spoken instruction is kind of a new "connection". And that's where the delay is.

Happens on every Navigation instruction. No exceptions.
Sounds like more an app problem or compatibility issue rather than hardware issue. My new Sony headphone do the exact some thing when you pause music then play again. Very quick but gradual increase in volume that usually looses a word at the beginning.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't think it's hardware either, but still hoping there is some small part or circuit that's the culprit whether it involves replacing the radio or a part of it.

If you mean the software or firmware in the Radio, the problem ---so far--is in getting Hyundai to do something about it. They don't seem to know if there is an update coming or even planned for this radio.

And if you mean compatibility with the apps in the phone, it's with all Iphones, cause my co-worker's Iphone10 has the same problem as my Iphone5SE. And happens on at least 5 different navigation (or traffic) apps.

Sounds like more an app problem or compatibility issue rather than hardware issue. My new Sony headphone do the exact some thing when you pause music then play again. Very quick but gradual increase in volume that usually looses a word at the beginning.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Short update:

• Dealer bo help. Theyre trying to tell ne to adjust ti tge car.
• stopped at Bestbuy and new unit much more than i thought and woould require removal of buttons inder the radio.
• it wiuld restore CD player which i miss.
• wouldnot know for sure if bluetooth works as expected before instal, bit then again this seems to be only radio with this issue.
• still a chance there might be a firmware update coming, abd discovered car has WiFi AND there is an update feature butied in a menu. But it told me to check “update memory” when i pushed it.

• searched online (on home pc) for the firmware version (ad.usa.258.170515.micom.d) hoping to at lesst find the manufacturer, but no results.

• kind of stuck cause i like gaining [back] a CD and of vourse bluetooth finctionality) but dont like loding manual buttons and cost.
• tried Pandora and bluetooth wotks well with it, but it ears up data and i still prefer Sirius XM, FM, and AM radio and my USB sticks over Pandora.

Any Firmware experts out there?

Oh... bestbuy installer DID day yoday yhat he had a customer with same bluetooth issue. Except that customer didnt mind the problem.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Please excuse typos above. Had turned off auto-correct on phone, which was an obvious mistake. And for some reason no “edit” button displaying.

?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
partial breakthrough today!

Tried Apple Play (vs Bluetooth) again today on the way home from work. Results...

Pro - Was able to listen to FM/AM/Sirius radio and still have the navigation break into the broadcast and could hear the entire instruction. Almost like Bluetooth SHOULD work.

Con - If using "Maps" Navigation App that came with the phone, it returns to whatever you were listening to before the spoken navigation instruction, but with the non-apple Apps (waze, google maps, here!, etc.) it does not. It interrupts properly, but does not return you to your "regularly scheduled programming" as the saying goes. I prefer Waze, etc., cause they're easier to punch in locations and I like using the speakers with the English accents. But I can live without that.

BIGGER Con, and still not negotiable - I can't listen to the music on my USB Flash Drive. Why??? Cause the geniuses at Hyundai left the CD Player off the car and provided only a single USB port. So you can't have your flash drive plugged in and still use Apple Play for navigation or anything else. Or conversely you can't use Apple Play and listen to your own music files.

Summary - Is good that I can listen to all 3 bands on the radio and also have proper navigation, but still need a way to listen to MY files at the same time. I know millennials will say to load them onto the phone, but iTunes is a pain. Supposedly with Android it's more drag and drop, so that might be worth considering. Or is there a way to add a USB port? Or a CD? Or ….something?

And none of this changes the fact that Hyundai sold me a car that HAS Bluetooth and regardless of whether it's functionality is somewhat duplicated by Apple Play, it is still a feature that came standard and doesn't work properly.

If you bought a television that included two different methods of playing media through it, and one of them didn't work properly (or could not work without unplugging a connection from the set), would you just shrug your shoulders or demand that the store make it right????

But to end on a sort of a high note. Today's breakthrough pretty much eliminates my motivation to pay hundreds of dollars ($800+) to install an aftermarket radio to [hopefully] restore my Bluetooth functionality. And it makes funding a complete solution much less urgent. Can still keep leaning on Hyundai and have basic Navigation in the meantime. while waiting/hoping for some help from them.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, it’s kind of morphed or become a sub issue.

Still prefer Bluetooth (with no delay) cause using Apple Play requires usage of the only USB data port, and that means I can’t plug in a flash drive with music files and use Apple Play for navigation at the same time.

But sticking with Apple Play issue, apparently Apple did not design it to work with 3rd party apps, and Andtoid DOES allow use of 3rd party apps (I.e. Waze & Google Maps).

So while I still want the Bluetooth fixed, yes.... the “CarPlay” issue (using USB port) certainly appears to be an IPhone/Apple issue.

If I switch to Android, will probably fix that. But still won’t be able to use flash drive at the same time.

If the bluetooth issue WERE to be fixed, though, I don’t think androids have the “send as Bluetooth phonecall” feature at all, so I would be giving up on that by switching.

If I can resolve the part about only having one usb data port (there are others for charging only), it will be “goodbye Apple” for me.

·
Registered
844 Posts
...Apple did not design it to work with 3rd party apps, and Andtoid DOES allow use of 3rd party apps (I.e. Waze & Google Maps).

So while I still want the Bluetooth fixed, yes.... the “CarPlay” issue (using USB port) certainly appears to be an IPhone/Apple issue...
IOS 12, which is coming out in September, will make Waze and Google Maps available via Apple CarPlay. So that problem will be solved in a few months.

For Android phones. Waze and Google Maps actually aren't really "third party" apps, becuase the Android operating system, Waze, and Google Maps are all owned by the same company.
My previous vehicle had two USB ports, each of which was enabled for data. Sometimes the system would jump between them repeatedly until I unplugged one of them. I understand having just one imposes limits, but it could be worse. Maybe it's better to have just one data USB port--it's simpler.
It is clear that the Bluetooth issue you have described several times on this forum is not going to be fixed. I know it's frustrating for you, because your previous experience was different. I can't relate, because I rarely use voice guidance: I do not like to have my audio interrupted. You must do a lot of driving in unfamiliar places or something.
To each his own. Good luck finding a way to make your infotainment system work perfectly for you.

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
459 Posts
Maybe "Apples to Oranges (Androids)". But my '17 Sonata (without Nav) will only interface with apple Carplay or Android Auto via USB, not bluetooth. I transfered my music from a USB stick to the phone (Moto Android) and can listen to my own music and still use all the features of Android Auto for Nav, etc. via the single USB port.

The bluetooth will work for routine phone functions, but not Apple Car Play or Android Auto. I assume this is how it is designed, or maybe my unit is not working as designed and should interface through bluetooth?

1 - 20 of 51 Posts