Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
I only paid $179.00 and yes it is worth it.
Here's my thinking: So you paid $179 for it. Do you ever use it in the summer? Probably not. So then maybe you remote start your car lets say 50 times in the winter. Which is quite a bit. When I had the trial, I used it maybe 30 times throughout the winter up here in Wisconsin. But lets say you did it 50 times. $179/50 = $3.58 every time you start your car. Sure you may use some other features of bluelink but I personally found them useless for the most part.

Plus then you take into account of running your car for 10 minutes and using gas. And it definitely takes a full 10 minutes for your car to warm up in negative degree weather here.

To me, it's not worth it. It was nice when it was free, and now it looks like they lowered the price to $99 which is much more reasonable, but until I can get to start my car for like less than $1 and have an actual use for the other features Bluelink offers, then I won't be needing it.

It hasn't been above 0 degrees here in 3 days now due to this stupid cold vortex thing they are calling it, and I've had no problem going out to my car, starting it, sitting there for a minute letting the engine warm up, and then shifting into drive and go. Hats and gloves are your friends! Plus when you actually drive the car instead of letting it sit the engine heats up faster and that results in your cabin heating up faster!

·
22,793 Posts
^^^ +1 $179 will go a long way in reducing the home heating bill during this cold snap. Or, theater tickets, or clothes, or a couple of day's mini-vacation out of town...or...

·
22,793 Posts
OkieRich,

... or a real remote starter.
Absolutely! I'm still too cheap to pay for one of those. I'm going to be 65 in February. Been starting my own vehicles and driving since I was 15. Never had a remote starter. Too late for one now, I suppose. Don't miss what I never had. When it gets to the point that I can't start my own car, well, call the nursing home. And tell them I said, "I refuse to enter!"

·
Registered
685 Posts
I actually use it in the winter and in the summer. Black car with black leather interior feels like an oven after sitting in the sun.
My only complaint about bluelink is that you cannot configure the run time. I feel that 10 minutes is not long enough to heat or cool the car. I would like it to be 15-20 minutes.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's my money and I like bluelink:). I like the fact that I can start my car at my job to heat up the car or cool the car down. Don't you have to be in range with an after market remote start to work?

·
Registered
129 Posts
My wife bought me a remote starter for Christmas about 10 years ago. I had one of the Boy Scouts in the Troop I serve help me install it (he was the kind of kid who was always adding stereo equipment and lights to his car, so I figured it would be OK). The thing never really worked like it was supposed to, so I've never bothered having one since then.

But my wife just got a new car with one, and I envy the **** out of her! I've just started looking at someplace to get one installed professionally. But you are right, I've done without one (mostly) for almost 40 years, and if I never had one again, I'd live. But I sure wouldn't pay for bluelink just to get it.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Remote start is a great feature to have. Like many I shunned it but my Fusion has it (simple key fob version). We have been having wicked cold in these here parts and I enjoy hitting the remote start about 2-3 minutes before I get to the car so that the oil has a chance to start warming in -7 degree temps. And since I have a turbo I want a little more "warm" time prior to moving the car.

I did use it once over the Christmas holiday to actually warm the car up so the kids didn't have to wear winter jackets in the car for a longer trip. It only took the car about 5 minutes to warm up enough to be at that point. Warming a car for 20 minutes is an absurd waste of fuel.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Haha I was just saying it wasn't worth it to me. To others it may be! As for the summer starting, all I wish for is to have automatic window roll down using my fob. I read someone did it here I think, but that would be the best to get the hot air out of the car and then once you get in it will be much much cooler. Plus the A/C takes longer to start working than the heat so you would have to run your car longer if you remote started it.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Is blue link the only way Hyundai offers a remote start for the Sonata or do they also offer an OEM non-dealer installed fob option too? No way I would ever pay a monthly fee for something like that.

·
Registered
25 Posts
does it keep the doors locked?
Yep, and lights it up like a Christmas tree. Really wish there was a way to disable the hazards at start up. Once you hit the door button all returns to normal after the key is recognized.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I have seen Hyundai branded remote start kits on ebay for about $200, please take a look at this example. But I think I would go to a dealer to have it installed so that in case of any electrical problems they would not be able to decline warranty claims.

Is blue link the only way Hyundai offers a remote start for the Sonata or do they also offer an OEM non-dealer installed fob option too? No way I would ever pay a monthly fee for something like that.

·
Registered
301 Posts
That was kind of my thinking, the cost per use. I find remote start to be a very desirable feature but the rest of what blue link offers has very low value to me, I would only use it in winter to warm up my car.

Here's my thinking: So you paid $179 for it. Do you ever use it in the summer? Probably not. So then maybe you remote start your car lets say 50 times in the winter. Which is quite a bit. When I had the trial, I used it maybe 30 times throughout the winter up here in Wisconsin. But lets say you did it 50 times. $179/50 = $3.58 every time you start your car. Sure you may use some other features of bluelink but I personally found them useless for the most part.

Plus then you take into account of running your car for 10 minutes and using gas. And it definitely takes a full 10 minutes for your car to warm up in negative degree weather here.

To me, it's not worth it. It was nice when it was free, and now it looks like they lowered the price to $99 which is much more reasonable, but until I can get to start my car for like less than $1 and have an actual use for the other features Bluelink offers, then I won't be needing it.

It hasn't been above 0 degrees here in 3 days now due to this stupid cold vortex thing they are calling it, and I've had no problem going out to my car, starting it, sitting there for a minute letting the engine warm up, and then shifting into drive and go. Hats and gloves are your friends! Plus when you actually drive the car instead of letting it sit the engine heats up faster and that results in your cabin heating up faster!

·
Read Only
538 Posts
Had it, loved it, canceled it. Not worth $179 to staht my cah a few times in the winter.

I've installed 3 remote starters and all still work fine. They service guy at the site I bought them from said to install one in my cah is pretty complicated and would require running connections to more than one of its control modules.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts