Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
over the past few weeks I have noticed my 2014 i10 3 pot smoking blue on first start up of the day after 5 mins or so it will clear and be fine until the next day when fully cold and stood overnight ..Any Ideas thanks in advance..

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Valve stem seals come to mind,, is this thing a mud motor, or left to go a bit too long or missed oil change intervals ?

·
Registered
722 Posts
Sounds like it's burning oil.

What Does the Smoke from My Exhaust Mean? » AutoGuide.com News

There will be many who disagree, but regular oil and filter changes are essential for long engine life. Modern service intervals are in some respects, far too long. On a small petrol engine like yours, or the 1.2 as we have, oil and filter change between 6 and 8 thousand miles. I don't care much for all the cooing over modern synthetic oils, if the car is doing serious stop/starting or lots of city work, then it will degrade far quicker than perhaps a motorway cruiser. Some people don't get the oil changed in their vehicles for 20k miles or more. This in my view is ridiculous and will just lead to premature engine wear.

Clearly I have no idea what the servicing routine has been like on your 3 pot i10. When was the car last serviced? plugs changed etc? How many miles on the clock? Certainly, especially on a 3 pot engine, you should be checking the oil fairly regularly to ensure the oil level is neither too high or too low.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Valve stem seals

Blue smoke on the first start of the day that lasts only a few seconds is valve stem seals leaking a little. These are very hard-wearing plastic grommets around the valve stems at the top inside the cylinder head. Upon installation each valve seal is pressed down onto a boss inside the cylinder head. The idea is to do everything possible to prevent oil from seeping into the combustion chamber by way of the valve stem guides.

In your situation, a little of the oil standing in your cylinder head after shutting down has a chance overnight to seep into the combustion chamber past your valve stem seals and down the valve guides, so when you start in the morning that oil burns blue. It soon stops because not that much oil seeps in.

It happened to me on a professionally rebuilt engine. I think it happened because there was an engine vacucm line close to the battery, which was weepy, and the acid attacked the vacuum line allowing acid fumes to be drawn into the cylinder head.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As a mechanic many years ago when it was points and plugs ....My initial thought was leaking through the Valve seals over night ..I just wanted to test the water and see if anyone else had had the same thing........there is now way that a line next to a battery would cause this problem....some people just need to stop posting crap.....

·
Registered
74 Posts
As a mechanic many years ago when it was points and plugs ....My initial thought was leaking through the Valve seals over night ..I just wanted to test the water and see if anyone else had had the same thing........there is now way that a line next to a battery would cause this problem....some people just need to stop posting crap.....
IIRC it was you looking for ideas, on your 2nd post in this forum you say people post crap, perhaps you should take a look in the mirror.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts