Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. Just bought a 2018 Elantra se. my last car I had was a 2004 Toyota rav 4 that I bought brand new. So this car is my second new car in my entire life. Does anyone know why they didn’t install blue link capabilities to the Elantra?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hey everyone. Just bought a 2018 Elantra se. my last car I had was a 2004 Toyota rav 4 that I bought brand new. So this car is my second new car in my entire life. Does anyone know why they didn’t install blue link capabilities to the Elantra?
It's on the limited and ultimate models

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
OnStar, BlueLink, both run about 300 bucks per year. If stalled, OnStar will call a towing truck for you, but you have to pay for it. Only paying 60 bucks per year for towing insurance, I can call them myself.

Could talk to BlueLink for directions for 300 bucks a year, but can do that for free with google, one thing I do miss a little, need BlueLink for remote start.

BlueLink would send me an email each month telling me everything I need to know from reading my dash. Ha, accidentally hit my panic button, called me to learn if everything was okay.

Another unknown feature is a black box, you may say you took that curve at 30 mph that caused an accident, when that box says you were doing 80. Ha, big brother is looking.

·
Registered
349 Posts

I was disappointed at first that my 2017 SE didn't come with Blue Link. My wife's Sonata has it and she eventually canceled every feature. As Nick says, it costs around $300 and most of the features, eg navigation, towing service, can be had for free. The only feature that I think is unique and potentially useful is the system will call automatically if the airbags deploy.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
I was disappointed at first that my 2017 SE didn't come with Blue Link. My wife's Sonata has it and she eventually canceled every feature. As Nick says, it costs around $300 and most of the features, eg navigation, towing service, can be had for free. The only feature that I think is unique and potentially useful is the system will call automatically if the airbags deploy.
Model years prior to 2018 indeed have to pay along those fees; however model year 2018 includes free 3 years with all BlueLink features free! I thought you remembered that.

My 2018 Sport model- I’m loving it! I use BlueLink all the time to remote start the car/ check status of the car (locked/whatnot), sending addresses through the phone app that automatically load to the car GPS. That being said, I wouldn’t pay the hefty price into the future once the free 3 year period ends. I’ll sadly miss B.L. unless they change their pricing structure to a more affordable platform.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Other problem I have with both BlueLink and SiriusXM , at 45 degrees North Latitude, the satellites are only about 20 degrees above the horizon and blocked by our Wisconsin tree lined roads.

No signal. If I decide to crash it, better be on the top of a hill on an empty field. Can also park and listen to music.

·
Registered
961 Posts
I'm a radio guy..SiriusXM sux. Go to the classical station.. that's as much bandwith as they can give... sounds pretty good. Now pick another channel... worst compression you have ever heard. There is only so much bandwidth you can get off the bird. Won't pay for mp3 quality

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
I'm a radio guy..SiriusXM sux. Go to the classical station.. that's as much bandwith as they can give... sounds pretty good. Now pick another channel... worst compression you have ever heard. There is only so much bandwidth you can get off the bird. Won't pay for mp3 quality

Ha, getting XM free for a week, but only if I drive to the top of a hill with no trees around.

In regards to GPS, always works, even where cell phones don't. DirectTV and Dish are always stopping here, if you can find a signal will sign up, so far zero.

·
Registered
349 Posts

I've been using XM for a number of years and I agree that it has its' issues, but it's heaven compared to commercial FM. I had to drive a rental for a couple of weeks when my Elantra needed some work and I was reminded of how pervasive and obnoxious the advertising is on free radio stations.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Have over 5,000 MP3's on a USB stick organized in folders. One thing that disturbed me and don't know why, can only have a maximum of 20 MP3's per folder, who came up with this?

For 100 greatest classical's, had to break that down into five subfolders. Johnny cash had 37 hits, broke that down to 20 and 17, along with many others.

But still also easily selected on that 8" screen, can split it to both MP3's and GPS. Can also pay for Pandora. Will also play MP3's off my cell phone viz bluetooth, but it selects, not me.

·
Registered
961 Posts
I have over 1000 mp3's in a single folder on a USB flash drive. Did it just to test the unit. Not sure how u loaded yours.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought a 2019 Santa Fe Ultimate about a month ago. Very nice car. Recently I have noticed rough or jerky shifts (8 speed Trans.)Seems to be in the lower gears 1-2- 0r 3, also is intermittent but seems to be most noticeable when first starting to drive. Returned to dealership and they found the Transmission was overfilled by about 1/2 litre. That was fixed and the tech reset something. Still noticed the problem after the fix. Took the shop foreman out for a drive. He explains that the problem is "shift shake" which he indicated has been experienced in some other Hyundai vehicles. He also said that Hyundai would be working on a computer update which should fix the problem. I still hate driving a new vehicle (1800 Kms.) that does not shift properly. Has anyone else experienced a similar problem?

·
Registered
409 Posts
Model years prior to 2018 indeed have to pay along those fees; however model year 2018 includes free 3 years with all BlueLink features free! I thought you remembered that.

My 2018 Sport model- I’m loving it! I use BlueLink all the time to remote start the car/ check status of the car (locked/whatnot), sending addresses through the phone app that automatically load to the car GPS. That being said, I wouldn’t pay the hefty price into the future once the free 3 year period ends. I’ll sadly miss B.L. unless they change their pricing structure to a more affordable platform.
In canada its free for the first five years. Its fair I guess. :)

·
22,788 Posts
Wife recently got an offer. It’s regularly $299 a year. It would cost her approximately $250-ish. She passed on the deal. I would have, too. She simply uses her Android car play for Google navigation. Of course she can’t ore-warm the Tucson in winter. It’s in the garage. How cold can the cabin actually be?

·
Registered
391 Posts
I felt the same about my 2018 VE. The 2019 VE has the BL. I debated it but I also wanted the auto dimming mirror that is std on 2018 but I would have to pay to add to the 2019. And after the 3 free years was I willing to pay? What I really wanted was the remote start feature. I know I could pay to add that feature but not willing to spend that much money for it. We paid to add it to my Santa Fe.

In the end I am glad I do not have the BL as I would hate having it for 3 years and then having to drop it or cough up a lot of money every year after the first 3.

·
Registered
845 Posts
My previous vehicle had remote start built in from the factory. I almost never used it--maybe a few times on a hot day, so that the air conditioning would cool the cabin. Even so, I can't stand the fact that you have to pay a monthly fee in order to have this feature on a Hyundai. I try very hard not to add monthly charges to my life, so I just live without it.

·
22,788 Posts
@mmahamm: Well, it’s not just Hyundai. My new M6 has that Blue Linkesque feature but costs $500 to install. First year is free for all the features. Second and successive years @ $65 per. I call “BS!”
I just use their onboard Nav. If I wanna get serious, I load into the Apple Carplay Waze or Google onboard app. Besides, Siri gets bored if I don’t tickle her fancy every once in a while.

And I have discovered if there is one thing Siri likes, it’s having “fancy” tickled! :grin2:

·
Registered
391 Posts
My previous vehicle had remote start built in from the factory. I almost never used it--maybe a few times on a hot day, so that the air conditioning would cool the cabin. Even so, I can't stand the fact that you have to pay a monthly fee in order to have this feature on a Hyundai. I try very hard not to add monthly charges to my life, so I just live without it.
We live in a condo with outside parking, no garage. If I had a garage I could care less about remote start. I know it is not like up north but glad to use the remote start on the Santa Fe in the winter to heat things up. One thing I REALLY miss from my Camry was that if the heated seats were on when you turned the car off they came back on the next time you started it. That would be awesome but Hyundai keeps them off when you turn the vehicle off and back on. Bummer.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts