Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '13 SFS with Blue Link (BL) and the keyless entry setup (I'm getting use to the keyless entry thing and like it). I have also downloaded and have been using the BL app for my Android phone and was having some success with remote lock, horn and lights and the nice remote start for the chilly mornings (just need to remember to set the heat and lock the car last thing at night).

Other than a few successes though, it seems to be that the remote start (or any function) won't work even half the time. After dealing with the BL tech assistance, they had me pull out of the garage and hit the SOS button so BL could find me. Then it worked a time or two but stopped again. They told me that, BL apparently looses me sometimes in the garage and, whenever this happens, just hit the SOS button so they can find me and it will work. Well, I won't do that every night just to try to be sure I can use remote start in the morning.

Sorry that was long but I wanted to ask 2 things: Have others had similar issues parked in a garage? Anybody find other solutions?

If this would work regularly, I'd be tempted to pay for the service after the 3 month trial, but not when it works less than 50% of the time.

Just FYI for those who may just be trying the feature, don't be surprised if it takes about a minute for any function to work. They told me that is due to the several steps the request goes through which are not as simple as say sending a text message. They also said it might take longer in the morning because so many people are using it. Sounds like the Blue Link service has problems similar to the Obamacare website :rolleyes: It may work sometimes, but try when they're not too busy!

·
Registered
29 Posts
My wife has it on her 2014 SFS, and my son has it on his 2014 Sonata. It works 99% of the time. You have to keep in mind that they are using 3g cellular (I don't know which carrier), so it is pretty much the same as a cell phone...sometimes you have good signal, sometimes not. I would think that a parking garage could be hit or miss, depending where the vehicle is parked.

As an aside, my Jeep GC has a similar setup, called UConnect. Chrysler uses Sprint for the in vehicle air card (3g). Sprint coverage in my neck of the woods is pretty pitiful, so my failure rate on the Jeep is around 50%.

I think that the bottom line is that the systems are only as good as the cellular network that they are connected to.

·
Registered
61 Posts
And this is why the remote start on my Ford Escape remote has never failed. I don't understand why any of these manufacturers would want to use cellular signals for remote start. No one is going to remote start their car from across the planet. Sometimes technology is great, most of the time it doesn't even work. Stick to what works is my personal opinion.

·
Registered
104 Posts
We've only had the SFS for a week but the remote start has worked much better off my iphone 5 (Verizon) than my wife's iphone 5 (Sprint). Hers pretty much never works. I have about a 75% success rate.

Also I did get an email saying all of the Bluelink phone apps are being updated Dec 20. So that update may fix things.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Blue Link uses the abysmal Sprint 3G network. So if you don't have strong Sprint service in your area, it'll have trouble working. Especially if the vehicle is within a structure.

The Blue Link service is still in its infancy stages. It's not perfect. But they are working on making it better. What I might suggest is that when you call to renew, make your concerns known. See if maybe they might give you a deal, or something to make it worth your while.

That said, you didn't specify if this was the case, but be careful starting a car in an enclosed and unventilated garage. Nasty fumes can build up...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Blue Link uses the abysmal Sprint 3G network. So if you don't have strong Sprint service in your area, it'll have trouble working. Especially if the vehicle is within a structure.

The Blue Link service is still in its infancy stages. It's not perfect. But they are working on making it better. What I might suggest is that when you call to renew, make your concerns known. See if maybe they might give you a deal, or something to make it worth your while.

That said, you didn't specify if this was the case, but be careful starting a car in an enclosed and unventilated garage. Nasty fumes can build up...
I suspected that Sprint was who they are using. At least on my Jeep GC, it also has RF remote start on the key fob, which I believe is optional on the SFS. I use that most of the time, because I'm within sight distance of the GC.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I just received this email from Bluelink:

To start your
car safely and
enjoy the warmth:

• You must have started the ignition
    within the last four days.
  • The vehicle must be locked, the anti-theft system armed and the gear shift in PARK (P).
  • The vehicle cannot be parked in a closed garage or other small, enclosed areas.
  • Heat must be left on before previously
    exiting the vehicle.

·
Registered
228 Posts
My BL has worked 99% of the time as well. and I actually like the fact that they use cell signal. Whenever I go snowboarding or travel with friends, they just call me to grab stuff out of the car. No need to find each other to pass keys. I like it and my friends like it :)

·
Registered
163 Posts
One thing I just remembered. When speaking with the Blue Link people, they mentioned that the remote start feature would only work when the car was locked by the key fob, or via the app. It would not work if you locked the car by pressing the lock button on the door handle.

Not sure if that's accurate, or why it would make a difference... but that's what they told me.

·
Registered
104 Posts
One thing I just remembered. When speaking with the Blue Link people, they mentioned that the remote start feature would only work when the car was locked by the key fob, or via the app. It would not work if you locked the car by pressing the lock button on the door handle.

Not sure if that's accurate, or why it would make a difference... but that's what they told me.
They may have fixed that with the more recent app update. Remote start works fine for us and we always lock the car via door handle.

·
Registered
93 Posts
My problem is why can't it lock the door and then start your car if the car is unlocked instead of just denying you? I think it is very stupid design. Another stupid flaw is that Hyundai went with Bluelink, but KIA went with another technology. I think that this was a HUGE mistake for them. Bluelink could be so much better and have more funding if it were shared technologies between both platforms.

Imagine if Chevy went with OnStar and GMC went with something else.

·
Registered
163 Posts
My problem is why can't it lock the door and then start your car if the car is unlocked instead of just denying you? I think it is very stupid design. Another stupid flaw is that Hyundai went with Bluelink, but KIA went with another technology. I think that this was a HUGE mistake for them. Bluelink could be so much better and have more funding if it were shared technologies between both platforms.

Imagine if Chevy went with OnStar and GMC went with something else.
Is it truly a different product, or just different branding? I know the Nav system in my Santa Fe looks just like a rebranded Uvo.

·
Banned
532 Posts
My problem is why can't it lock the door and then start your car if the car is unlocked instead of just denying you? I think it is very stupid design. Another stupid flaw is that Hyundai went with Bluelink, but KIA went with another technology. I think that this was a HUGE mistake for them. Bluelink could be so much better and have more funding if it were shared technologies between both platforms. Imagine if Chevy went with OnStar and GMC went with something else.
So a young child happens to get into the car while parked in a garage, the door's lock - Heat or A/C goes on for 10 minutes ....... a child dies.

Who is on who is going to get sued, even though they warned you about an enclosed environment?

And there are two people living a destroyed grieving life.

There are way to many scenarios that any company has to deal with in this litigious nation we have created.

·
Registered
93 Posts
The kid can still get in my car if it was unlocked and lock the door by pressing the lock button inside of the car and then I start it up unknowingly like your situation and it would still happen. I am not a fan of the very far fetched "what if's" and think about what happens 99% of the time lol. My wife throws out the most far fetched "what if's" and it gets annoying lol.

·
Banned
532 Posts
The kid can still get in my car if it was unlocked and lock the door by pressing the lock button inside of the car and then I start it up unknowingly like your situation and it would still happen. I am not a fan of the very far fetched "what if's" and think about what happens 99% of the time lol. My wife throws out the most far fetched "what if's" and it gets annoying lol.
So under those scenarios one is either:

1) Not responsible as a president or CEO to shareholders or looking out for the employees or suppliers interests 2) Doesn't understand "far fetched" or litigation 3) Annoyed by a persons concern for or of another person.

Litigation is the first thought of most, personal responsibility- the last.

I only hope you can live, thrive and forget but don't have to live through an incident of how could that have happened to someone.

"Kid" has never been in my vocabulary.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Neither I or my salesman could get my Blue Link to work today...day 1 of my new car. Life is so short and from what I am reading and experiencing Blue Link is so hit and miss that I can't imagine paying another penny for it (or wasting much more time on it). Fool me once...blah blah. I'll try again tomorrow but after that I'll post in the Blue Link sucks thread (or start one, LOL) but so far I think I can live happily without it. Now how they get away with this, over promised, undelivered piece of work I'll never know.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts