Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I’m a new owner of a 2017 Santa Fe Sport 2.0L AWD Ultimate. So far I’m very satisfied with this car, which is my first Hyundai. Today, as I was perusing the manual for Blue Link I learned (belatedly) about the 3G issue. The documentation stated that my built in telematics wasn’t expected to function beyond 2022 and that it didn’t seem likely that current owners would be able to upgrade to a fix. Is this a function of the vehicle hardware or Blue Link? Any information on this situation would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
3G is being phased out nationwide. This is the first I have heard of that affecting Bluelink however. A quick review indicates that at least for some to many models that may be the case. I suspect this may be a hardware issue. If so then hopefully Hyundai will make an upgrade available at a reasonable cost (Hey, not their fault technology changes so rapidly). GM offered an Onstar upgrade kit years ago for about $250 if memory serves. That was for a different issue though....

·
Registered
2017 SFS 2.0 T Ultimate
761 Posts
3G is being phased out nationwide. This is the first I have heard of that affecting Bluelink however. A quick review indicates that at least for some to many models that may be the case. I suspect this may be a hardware issue. If so then hopefully Hyundai will make an upgrade available at a reasonable cost (Hey, not their fault technology changes so rapidly). GM offered an Onstar upgrade kit years ago for about $250 if memory serves. That was for a different issue though....
Yeah, I remember that Onstar one. Shortly after I bought my 2005 'Nox, LOL. If I recall it was something to do with the calling ability only (not the data transmission portions). Now, if only I can remember what exactly it was... LOL I think it was analog vs. digital, but whatever.

Anyway, they DID have a rather generous upgrade in the sense that if you upgraded AND pre-paid 3 years of Onstar I think it brought the upgrade down to either free or $100 or something. I did the upgrade, BTW. Had the vehicle almost 12 years.

Since I own a 2017 SFS, the Bluelink 2022 bit is concerning. I'm surprised 3G is being "phased out" since it has the largest coverage area (the LTE signals don't go as far, it's like Wi-Fi - the higher the frequency, the more bandwidth, but the shorter the range).

the only thing I could find is this, but it doesn't state what the vehicle (2017 SFS 2.0 T Ultimate) actually uses (just says for vehicles with 2G or 3G).

E. SPECIAL NOTICE FOR VEHICLES WITH 2G OR 3G WIRELESS TECHNOLOGY. MANY CONNECTED SERVICES SYSTEMS UTILIZE 2G OR 3G WIRELESS TECHNOLOGY. CELLULAR CARRIERS MAY ELECT TO NO LONGER SUPPORT 2G WIRELESS TECHNOLOGY AT ANY TIME AND YOUR VEHICLE WILL BE UNABLE TO CONNECT TO CONNECTED SERVICES AND MAY NOT BE UPDATED TO SUPPORT OTHER TECHNOLOGIES. HYUNDAI'S CELLULAR CARRIER IS EXPECTED TO DISCONTINUE SUPPORT OF 3G WIRELESS TECHNOLOGY BY 2022 AND ANY DEVICES UTILIZING 3G WIRELESS TECHNOLOGY ARE EXPECTED TO BE INOPERABLE AFTER 2022. ONCE 2G OR 3G WIRELESS TECHNOLOGY IS DISCONTINUED, YOUR VEHICLE'S CONNECTED SERVICES SYSTEM, IF UTILIZING 2G OR 3G WIRELESS TECHNOLOGY, WILL BE UNABLE TO CONNECT TO CONNECTED SERVICES AND YOUR VEHICLE MAY NOT BE UPDATED TO SUPPORT OTHER WIRELESS TECHNOLOGIES.
I'll have to dig up more on that or maybe email bluelink as to what to do. Although knowing Hyundai we'll probably be left in the wind, LOL.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
As of right now it is a giant gray area. I tried to get some answers this morning but this is such a "new" topic that no one here at the Dealership or at Hyundai as any information. I do know that the 20015 model years had Gen1 and Gen2 systems. Mine is a Gen 1 so I am thinking I am going to have an issue. That said, the 3G issue may extend into the 2017 and 2018 model years as well. 3G is being dropped to make room for the new 5G system which itself may carry some substantial negative effects on other existing services.
I had installed Onstar FMV in my 2007 Entourage and it worked GREAT, but Onstar discontinued that a while back. I am not seeing any good options here so I am hoping that Hyundai will step up and offer some type of upgrade at a reasonable cost.

You did remind me....The Onstar upgrade was to go to digital from analog, so not the same issue as we have here. My guess is that IF Hyundai offers an upgrade the cost may be excessive.

Not good as I use the Bluelink convenience features a lot and at our age we value the safety features.....

·
Registered
2017 SFS 2.0 T Ultimate
761 Posts
I did open a case w/Hyundai but haven't heard back yet. Not surprising since when I had some bluelink issues a while ago I opened a ticket and the lady said they'd call me within 3-7 business days. 5 business days later the issue was resolved and they called me a MONTH later to tell me about it. haha

1 - 5 of 5 Posts