Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my wife has a 2006 Sonata and it ran great up until about a month ago, she started noticing when she hits the brakes and sometimes when she hits the gas the a/c blower motor would stop blowing for a second and all the lights would dim. So i drove the car for a day and she was right. the blower motor shuts off and the lights dim for roughly 1 second during breaking then it all works fine again.

does anyone know what this could be? the car has no check engine light on or anything. I was hoping this is a common thing with a known fix. Thanks if you could help us.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Sounds to me like some sort of electrical grounding issue. I wonder if this is another variant of the battery cable grounding issue that has been brought up here before.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
You got 1 too.......

Almost the oldest 1 in the NF and TG book :whistling:

Replace the positive battery cable assembly.... any well stocked HYundai dealer should have at least 1 on the shelf,, you can do it at home in about an hr,,,,, just make sure engine and exhaust manifold is cold.

Cable assembly run something like $139 I think it is, call dealer to make sure.

I have not seen 1 in a good bit, they easy money to replace.. Problem is voltage drop in the cable.. use DVOM, test voltage at alternator stud, you find typically 14.5, then check at battery and you find a little bit over 12 volt.... power not getting to battery.

Go ahead and take battery out, unbolt short negative cable from fender, and grind paint off fender to bare metal, apply a wipe of grease or anti-sieze, re-assemble cable to fender. Do same to ground strap at left frame rail there by battery tray also.

Why is she breaking the car ? If she is stopping, then she should be "braking" :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
RIght before my batteries went out, I Had dimming lights when pressing brakes.

Could be your battery dying as well.

Replaced my battery and never did it again

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How can a whole battery cable go bad? it's a thick piece of wire. She said the radio will now shut off for 1-2 minutes before it comes back on.

Today im gonna go loosen everything and re tighten it all. clean the battery post etc... i dont want to buy a new battery and that not be the problem. the positive battery cable looks like a pain to replace, it goes in 4 different directions.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
QUOTE (jessej @ Nov 13 2010, 09:36 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=371321
How can a whole battery cable go bad? it's a thick piece of wire. She said the radio will now shut off for 1-2 minutes before it comes back on.
It's an assembly, all wrapped up into 1 part.. part number has been changed for the replacement cable assembly...... as for the radio,, the audio goes away while the display stays intact, then audio starts back up on station being listened to, does not lose presets..... :whistling:

Today im gonna go loosen everything and re tighten it all. clean the battery post etc... i dont want to buy a new battery and that not be the problem.
Battery is not the problem,, you are not complaining about sluggish crank or dead battery.. Alternator supplies all your power wneh engine running. With engine running, with black lead on battery negative post, probe voltage at the alternator lug an rear of alternator,, should find approx 14.5 volt.............

NOW,,,, test voltage at battery posts (red on positive post, black on negative post... Is the voltage within 0.3-0.4 volt of what found at alternator post?? ..

Now the positive battery cable looks like a pain to replace, it goes in 4 different directions.
Pretty much do it in a wee bit over an hr,, 90% done from top, go under for the starter lug and solenoid plug.

Replaced many of them positive cables the last couple yr now..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts