Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my blower fan is making this wherlie bird sound. it makes louder on low but can be heard on high does anyone know what it could be and how much problem it is to repair it.

·
Registered
548 Posts
may be time to replace the blower itself. On most vehicles, removal is through engine compartment firewall... looks like a circular cover with multiple screws and a vent "L" shaped hose going to it. Once it's pulled out, give a jump to 12v and listen to sound to verify what is cause....you may want to test new motor too (to double check functionality prior to install)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I appreciate it, I also forgot to mention it sounds like its coming from the passenger side under that glove box I was thinking it had something to do with that cabin filter door or related

·
Registered
548 Posts
unlikely have anything to do with the filter.... and you would be right in saying it's sounds like the passenger side, that's typically where they're located, but like I stated above, usually removed from engine side....
However, in your case it may be accessible from under glove box area... here a general pic... to gain access to few of the holding screws though, you'll probably have to pull back carpet a little bit towards seats

I also have a pic of one pulled out...be careful not to force it out too roughly. Usually the fan wheel, "rodent wheel" known as in the biz, has to be transferred over to new motor

Attachments

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
gotcha I appreciate a lot. planning to take it apart on sat.. just saw a video and sounds like a leaf got in there thanks a lot again

·
Registered
548 Posts
gotcha I appreciate a lot. planning to take it apart on sat.. just saw a video and sounds like a leaf got in there thanks a lot again
that could be a plausible issue there. Post update, let us know what you find and how it went. Good luck!!

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Pull out the filter that is located behind the glovebox; it could be plugged with crap and causing issue. Try running it without filter to see if it helps and then get new filter for approx 8-$12. I changer mine every 2 years and its usually a mess.

More likely it is a motor issue IMO.

Motor goes out from under dash on passenger side; Rockauto competitive for parts.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well I tackle-ed this blower motor.. Good news and bad.. but here are some pic I hope helps the next person Good News it wasn't my blower.. bad news I had a hard time getting it out.. which I'm glad I didnt have to. I got it all loose and few inches downt then the floor stopped me..and clearance was an issue..so I taped it up against the mount and whata know.. no more whirlie bird sound. if pict dont show here are the steps

1st I lowered the glove box... there's elstic string on the side that helps hold it, push in the sides of the box to release the locks and then disconnect that string..

2 there will be a bolt on ea side of metal bracket 10mm remove them. then it just slips out of its grove from ea side.

3 remove phillip screw for wiring hardness and plug to motor move them out the way

4 remove the 3 screws holding the blower in place the far back screw probably needs a very very short 90degree phillips based on the steep incline of the floor. This back one caused me a lot more time.

5 here is the tricky part getting it out.. I almost cut into the padding. which was soo far up under there it seem like the only option.. good luck I hope some else can figure the rest out to get it out.

I have several pict I couldnt get them to upload

·
Registered
548 Posts
Thanks for the update, sorry to hear you had so much trouble. At the very least you confirmed the noise as well as getting better acquainted with your vehicle. Way to go on the instructional steps too

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
well I tackle-ed this blower motor.. Good news and bad.. but here are some pic I hope helps the next person Good News it wasn't my blower.. bad news I had a hard time getting it out.. which I'm glad I didnt have to. I got it all loose and few inches downt then the floor stopped me..and clearance was an issue..so I taped it up against the mount and whata know.. no more whirlie bird sound. if pict dont show here are the steps

1st I lowered the glove box... there's elstic string on the side that helps hold it, push in the sides of the box to release the locks and then disconnect that string..

2 there will be a bolt on ea side of metal bracket 10mm remove them. then it just slips out of its grove from ea side.

3 remove phillip screw for wiring hardness and plug to motor move them out the way

4 remove the 3 screws holding the blower in place the far back screw probably needs a very very short 90degree phillips based on the steep incline of the floor. This back one caused me a lot more time.

5 here is the tricky part getting it out.. I almost cut into the padding. which was soo far up under there it seem like the only option.. good luck I hope some else can figure the rest out to get it out.

I have several pict I couldnt get them to upload
Last night I got that periodic sound that sounded mechanical. Turns out it was from the blower fan. Yes there are three Phillip screws you have to remove. One is located next to the sloping bulkhead where you can't come at it from 90 degrees, more like 70 degrees. Because of that I had to use a straight slot for that screw. You have to peal back your carpet to do this. Once you get all three screws out, you will only be able to move the fan down two inches because it will begin to hit the sloping bulkhead. There is a sheet of what looks like sound-proofing that covers that bulkhead. The only way I could get the fan out was to remove around three inches of that soundproofing so that the fan blades clear. It is still a tight fit, but you can't get it out any other way that I could see. I had a leaf caught in the fins that made a sound as it went around.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts