Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, new member here, I have a 2013 YF SE Turbo with 78,000 miles on it and I've had enough of this thing being stock. I am planning to install a cold-air intake (K&N) this summer, but I wanted to get your opinions on a blow-off valve and whether or not it would even make a difference with the car, and if it does, the recommended valves you have come across.

Much appreciated!

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
BOV will provide no performance improvement, but it will sound great. You already have a cold-air intake on your car from hyundai. If you mean short ram intake (short tube to a filter not in the filter box), then that is different.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
if you want to attract attention, get a dump tube off the waste gate. one of my friends had one, it is almost as funny as a train horn

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Short Ram is what I meant, my apologies. But ok, thanks for the info!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Short Ram is what I meant, my apologies. But ok, thanks for the info!
Save the money on the BOV and just get a plate like this. No performance gain, just sound.

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Torque-Solution-Blow-Sound-Plate/dp/B00OI8IC82/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1524603574&sr=1-1&keywords=torque+blow+off+valve+plate+hyundai[/ame]

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was wondering about these plates as well. My main concern was if they would cause any issues. I like that price point much better haha.

Thank you!

·
Registered
8,035 Posts
Forge is a good one but they require maintenance. Once a year disassembly and greasing the o rings. They make rebuild kits for around $20 that includes the o rings and piston. I get one of them every three years or so.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I've had a HKS SSQV v4 bov from Z1motorsports since late 2015. The valve has always worked perfectly and is rated to seal at over 150psi. The stock valve does ok but it's a huge rubber diaphragm that can wear out over time. I've also seen it get stuck and not seal correctly, and since you can't hear it or see the other end it's hard to diagnose. The only benefit you'll get from an atmospheric bov is not recirculating the hot compressed air back into your intake.

I went with the HKS because my Eclipse had a Turbo XS RFL on it for many years and sometimes it just wouldn't seal properly. My awd talon had a knockoff HKS bov on it when I bought it and it seemed to work well, plus I liked the sound over the RFL. After reading reviews and documentation on how the valve works I'm convinced it's one of the best valves out there. It works perfect with our bov solenoid and hasn't ever acted up like my other bov's in the past.

20180224_182031.jpg

https://www.hks-power.co.jp/en/product/blow_off/sqv/index.html

If you are considering one make sure you buy from an authorized dealer, there are some good fakes out there.

You can hear the HKS bov in this video, sorry I still had my music pretty loud.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quick update, purchased and installed the Torque Solutions BOV Sound Plate off of Ebay, quick install and it sounds great. Definitely Recommend. Thanks for the heads up!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That sounds really good man. Sick ride.

·
Registered
6 Posts
hi everyone, I'm kinda new here, I was wondering if anyone can give me some quick advice or hint where if I can install or mount a BOV on my hyundai elantra 2015 GLS

here are some example of the engine bay

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
1,524 Posts
hi everyone, I'm kinda new here, I was wondering if anyone can give me some quick advice or hint where if I can install or mount a BOV on my hyundai elantra 2015 GLS
here are some example of the engine bay
If you dont have a turbo there is no BOV

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
1,524 Posts
oh thnx, but is it possible to put a turbo and a bov..?
Easier and probably less $ to buy a different car. But anything is possible you can add a turbo to any engine its just how much will it cost $2500 or 6,000 and will it blow apart the engine because your engine is not built to handle the power created by the boost.

probably would be easier to try to swap a 1.6T Elantra engine and DCT into your car than to add a turbo.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Easier and probably less $ to buy a different car. But anything is possible you can add a turbo to any engine its just how much will it cost $2500 or 6,000 and will it blow apart the engine because your engine is not built to handle the power created by the boost.

probably would be easier to try to swap a 1.6T Elantra engine and DCT into your car than to add a turbo.
wow,thnx for the advice xaran ! I appreciated. got me some great learning here thnx a lot

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
1,524 Posts
wow,thnx for the advice xaran ! I appreciated. got me some great learning here thnx a lot
I noticed your profile and flag. Are you in Laos ? If so you may be our only member there. I spent a little time there in and around Vientiane in 1973-74

·
Registered
6 Posts
I noticed your profile and flag. Are you in Laos ? If so you may be our only member there. I spent a little time there in and around Vientiane in 1973-74
yes man, I'm in laos.. I'm laotion but I used to grew up in the us, the state of Louisiana ..wow 1973-74 I wasn't even born yet..55+ now everything is changed and more developed, it's great to be the only member from laos.. 55+ but actually over here they really have cool guys with modified bad ass cars over here.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts