Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 Santa Fe Sport 2.0L turbo. It has 40000+ on ot. Since I am approaching the 45000 O.E.M recommended spark plug change I puled a plug to look at it.

The plug has blow-by. Is Hyundai aware of this? Have they changed the specification on the plug to acquire one that is more resistant to blow-by?

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
I've never seen a diagnostic chart that showed a "blow-by" condition? To my knowledge they recommend an NGK plug now.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've never seen a diagnostic chart that showed a "blow-by" condition? To my knowledge they recommend an NGK plug now.
You are correct Darren RE. the NGK plug, but you cannot buy it directly from NGK. NGK has an exclusive agreement with Hyundia not to sell the O.E.M plug to a retail customer. I know I called NGK looking for replacement plugs. The agreement with NGK and Hyundai requires NGK to send you to a dealer for replacement plugs.

·
Registered
368 Posts
You are correct Darren RE. the NGK plug, but you cannot buy it directly from NGK. NGK has an exclusive agreement with Hyundia not to sell the O.E.M plug to a retail customer. I know I called NGK looking for replacement plugs. The agreement with NGK and Hyundai requires NGK to send you to a dealer for replacement plugs.
Looks like equivalent NGK plug is the 93199 DILKR6C11: https://www.ngk.com/product.aspx?zpid=58447 and appears one step colder than the OEM Denso. If you punch that into Amazon (heck, even AutoZone has them), you can order the plugs directly from there. Also, just for s&g I went through adding these to the cart on the NGK site and was able to get to the shipping/billing info without having to be a "dealer". Again, I would go through Amazon or your favorite parts store to get them.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Kpanasew I appreciate your info. I intend to keep the O.E.M plug in the vehicle, though it will cost me more to but it from the dealer. Reason: Should anything happen to the engine if the O.E.M plug is not in the engine Hyundai can void the warranty. 10 year 100000 warranty is important for me to keep everything O.E.M. That is also why I go to the dealer for my oil changes, they are recorded in the Hyundai database. Hopefully nothing negative will happen to my Sport 2.0 before the 10 / 10000 runs out. With the miles I put on it yearly I'll hit the 100000 before the 10 year mark.

I appreciate your conversation. Best regard Ramjet

·
Registered
368 Posts
Hi Kpanasew I appreciate your info. I intend to keep the O.E.M plug in the vehicle, though it will cost me more to but it from the dealer. Reason: Should anything happen to the engine if the O.E.M plug is not in the engine Hyundai can void the warranty. 10 year 100000 warranty is important for me to keep everything O.E.M. That is also why I go to the dealer for my oil changes, they are recorded in the Hyundai database. Hopefully nothing negative will happen to my Sport 2.0 before the 10 / 10000 runs out. With the miles I put on it yearly I'll hit the 100000 before the 10 year mark.

I appreciate your conversation. Best regard Ramjet
Your welcome. And yeah, might as well not give them a reason to deny any coverage even though the NGK plug is probably a better plug to use.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts