Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Amazon sells the frost-plug style in various sizes (but isn't listing one yet for the YF), anybody planning on trying one this winter? I had a frost plug style last year and wasnt too happy with it. Car was outside in the wind and I think it overwhelmed the 400w heating element. I think id prefer the recirculating coolant style if I could figure out how to tap it into the system..

·
Registered
603 Posts
QUOTE (robspeedGLS @ Oct 6 2010, 12:00 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=361537
Amazon sells the frost-plug style in various sizes (but isn't listing one yet for the YF), anybody planning on trying one this winter? I had a frost plug style last year and wasnt too happy with it. Car was outside in the wind and I think it overwhelmed the 400w heating element. I think id prefer the recirculating coolant style if I could figure out how to tap it into the system..
I know on some cars, there is a Canada only option for an engine block heater. Does anyone know if this is an option Hyundai of Canada offers? If so, you might be able to get it imported here.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Hyundai canada has the block heater on the accessories page. I have one on my sonata, all canadian cars get it installed at the dealer prior to delivery. Think its like $100 something.

·
Registered
603 Posts
QUOTE (Souks @ Oct 6 2010, 01:12 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=361561
Hyundai canada has the block heater on the accessories page. I have one on my sonata, all canadian cars get it installed at the dealer prior to delivery. Think its like $100 something.
Well there ya go. Thats probably the best option. If I were looking into something like this, I would prefer a Hyundai made one rather than an unproven aftermarket one.

Since Im sure the OP will ask, how does the Canada one work? Is it a coolant recirc type, or a heated oil dipstick like some cars have?

·
Registered
326 Posts
QUOTE (robspeedGLS @ Oct 6 2010, 12:00 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=361537

Agreed about the 400W comment. That seems way too feeble, especially if the car is outside. At the most, that scenario (400W, outside) probably helps just a bit in terms of cutting down engine wear and making starts easier--which really might be all Hyundai is shooting for. But in terms of having heat right away for the driver in that scenario, probably not.

The only VW-approved accessory I could get for my previous car, a Jetta TDI, was a 250W stick-on oil pan heater. Again, perhaps it helped a tad in terms of engine wear (and my car was garaged), but it seemed almost useless. Eventually an enterprising guy on the TDI forum developed an awesome, factory stock-looking inline coolant heater in 1000W and 750W options that perfectly took the place of a lower radiotor hose. I loved that product and I'll bet he sold a boatload.

(Oops, edited to add that I now see the 400W heater is not a Hyundai product, but aftermarket. Maybe the Hyundai product is more powerful. Anyone know?)

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Im not sure how the hyundai one works. I followed the wire from the plug in cird and it eventually goes inside the engine on the right side and not sure where it goes from there. Ill take a picture later and maybe someone with more knowledge can take a stab at it.

·
Registered
326 Posts
QUOTE (Souks @ Oct 6 2010, 02:44 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=361598
Im not sure how the hyundai one works. I followed the wire from the plug in cird and it eventually goes inside the engine on the right side and not sure where it goes from there. Ill take a picture later and maybe someone with more knowledge can take a stab at it.
Please do. Would like to see that. I'll bet it's an element that goes in place of a freeze plug.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
http://www.hyundaicanada.com/Pages/showroo...px?model=Sonata Here's a picture of it from Hyundai Canada's site. I need to edit my pictures but will post those later tonight. But where it plugs into the engine it is orange just like the picture on Hyundai Canada's site so I'm assuming it's the samething. Again no idea how it actually works. The price is $99 Canadian so if your by the border you can head south and get one. But I'm sure northern US states like Washington should sell them too as their weather is very similar to what we get in Alberta as we are just right above Washington state.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
QUOTE (Mike Eckman @ Oct 6 2010, 01:15 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=361562
Well there ya go. Thats probably the best option. If I were looking into something like this, I would prefer a Hyundai made one rather than an unproven aftermarket one.

Since Im sure the OP will ask, how does the Canada one work? Is it a coolant recirc type, or a heated oil dipstick like some cars have?
Im pretty sure the Hyundai heaters are made by Temro and not Hyundai.

http://www.zerostart.com/UserFiles/File/20...uct_catalog.pdf

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Here's a pic of it. It's the orange color thing. So the Hyundai picture is probably it. But yeah I had one on my last car and through 7 years of Calgary winter's only used it once when I was at work and it was about - 45 with windchill. It probably would have started up no problems anyways but wanted to be safe. So I doubt I would even use the one in the Sonata.

Attachments

·
Registered
87 Posts
I live in Canada and ordered a 2011 Sonata Limited W/Nav and when I picked it up, I noticed it had a block heater already installed which I did not ask for, the price on my Vehicle Purchase Agreement for the block heater was $295.00. I am going to ask my dealer next time I am in there, why it cost so much more than there web site cost.

·
Registered
326 Posts
QUOTE (ONNFIRE @ Oct 7 2010, 02:26 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=361825
I live in Canada and ordered a 2011 Sonata Limited W/Nav and when I picked it up, I noticed it had a block heater already installed which I did not ask for, the price on my Vehicle Purchase Agreement for the block heater was $295.00. I am going to ask my dealer next time I am in there, why it cost so much more than there web site cost.
Wow, $99.95 for the part but a cost to you of $295, installed? Sheesh, sounds just about right from the stealership...er, dealership.

Edited to add: Where does the plug exit the vehicle? Through the grille? Or below that?

·
Registered
87 Posts
As of right now it is located to the negative side of the battery box. It probably would have to go through the grill from what I see. I dought I will use it because my car goes in my garage the majority of the time. I only leave it outside if my wife is taking it in the morning!!!!!! LOL

·
Registered
326 Posts
QUOTE (ONNFIRE @ Oct 7 2010, 03:11 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=361829
As of right now it is located to the negative side of the battery box. It probably would have to go through the grill from what I see. I dought I will use it because my car goes in my garage the majority of the time. I only leave it outside if my wife is taking it in the morning!!!!!! LOL
Thanks. I urge you to give it a try, though, even in your garage. It's a great accessory, you've already paid for it, and you'll know you're doing your engine a world of good by giving it a nice warm bath before you crank it on those brutally cold mornings. Plus, it's nice to have instant heat.

·
Registered
87 Posts
QUOTE (Klooks Kleek @ Oct 7 2010, 05:04 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=361846
Thanks. I urge you to give it a try, though, even in your garage. It's a great accessory, you've already paid for it, and you'll know you're doing your engine a world of good by giving it a nice warm bath before you crank it on those brutally cold mornings. Plus, it's nice to have instant heat.
I hear you, I have never used a block heater in my life. I could see myself pulling out of the garage and draging an extension cord down the road right into a Tim Horton's drive thru.

·
Registered
326 Posts
QUOTE (ONNFIRE @ Oct 7 2010, 05:29 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=361862
I hear you, I have never used a block heater in my life. I could see myself pulling out of the garage and draging an extension cord down the road right into a Tim Horton's drive thru.
Yes, effective "cable management" is crucial, and I think that's why a lot of people who try block heaters eventually give it up, because you've got to be careful of that cord. Plus, you really can't easily quantify all the wear and tear you're saving your engine by using the heater. So, once there's an "accident" with the cord, people just figure it's not worth the hassle.

When I first installed mine, I had too much unsecured cord length and one day the plug dragged on the ground and wore all three prongs down to almost nothing!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts