Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Does anyone know where to install a block heater plug in a 2010 2.4L AWD engine?

I've searched the forums, other sites, and been under and on top of the engine and cannot find anything that looks promising.

Pics or a diagram from somewhere online would be wonderful.

I've installed an oil pan heater and battery trickle charger, and this is the last of the 3. I live in Fairbanks, AK so this stuff is mostly mandatory up here, with -20F being common and -40 for 2-4 weeks most winters.

Thanks for any help/guidance you can provide!
Tom

·
Registered
709 Posts
Not sure which one but it is using a freeze plug location. I can try and take a look later today.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not sure which one but it is using a freeze plug location. I can try and take a look later today.
Thanks for taking a look Stef71. The plug I have, which I got from NAPA, is one of the long narrow plugs with clip that looks very easy to install. I had hoped it was an easy install, but I'm willing to take a few parts off in order to punch out a freeze plug.

Thanks,
Tom

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Why do you need above and beyond the oil pan heater? I live in North Central Montana and if I had an oil pan heater I woud think I 'd be ok. We have -20+ as well as you.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Thanks for taking a look Stef71. The plug I have, which I got from NAPA, is one of the long narrow plugs with clip that looks very easy to install. I had hoped it was an easy install, but I'm willing to take a few parts off in order to punch out a freeze plug.

Thanks,
Tom
Was stuck at work all day yesterday and didn't get home until the sun was down. I should be able to take a look later this afternoon.

·
Registered
8,626 Posts

Thanks,
Tom

There should be an existing hole in the head that that just slides into and is held in place by the clip. It probably is in the rear of the head.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Why do you need above and beyond the oil pan heater? I live in North Central Montana and if I had an oil pan heater I woud think I 'd be ok. We have -20+ as well as you.
Hi Craigbrooks,

Oil pan, block, and battery are all standard up here in Fairbanks. -20 F for 3 weeks happens every year, and -40 for 2 weeks usually once a winter. Right, maybe it's not required to survive, but winter is very hard on vehicles here, so all you can do to alleviate wear and tear is good in my book.

I just hope to save a few bucks to get it all in myself. Shops charge $300-400 to get all three installed. I think I spent ~$100 in the parts and have 2 out of 3 installed!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There should be an existing hole in the head that that just slides into and is held in place by the clip. It probably is in the rear of the head.
Hi Red Raspberry,

Yes, that is what I was hoping, a simple existing opening I can slide it into, there is a youtube video of a Kia Sorento where it looked very easy. Could you be more specific as to what "rear of the head" means? I'm new to digging into engines, but would like to learn the lingo.

I usually assume front means toward the front bumper, rear to mean toward the rear of the vehicle, and top to be towards the hood, and bottom to be towards the ground, but I'm not sure what the "head" is.

Thanks!
Tom

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
This is the factory one used in Canada for the Genesis Coupe 2L 4 cylinder.

Here is where it is installed on the back of the cylinder head.

·
Registered
479 Posts
great pictures looks like its not an easy place to get at. Just the units just slide in the hole and clips on the side or do you have to punch something out to get direct contact with the oil?

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
It looks like the O ring or sealing gasket is not shown on the new block heater element.

So there must be an aluminum frost plug that gets poked out before fitting in the heater.

Nice size heater, must be close to 200 watts.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Wow 400 watts is great , same as I have on a V8 pickup, probably melt the snow off the hood.

Is some kind of heat transfer lube put on the outside of element ; although it's never coming out again anyway.

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
I asked a guy that and they said no lube or heat compound. He had been using up in Alaska for the last 4 years with no problem.

Seems this is a factory option in Canada and up north. The Continental dealers didn't know anything about it.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Yeah domestic manufacturers Ford/Chrysler often include block heaters iautomatically in Canadian models. Hyundai Canadian only models like the Élantra VE had heated mirrors; but no block heater. With synthetic oil use so common it seems like block heater use is dropping. But warm up without heater drops fuel economy, increases engine wear.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts