Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, my name is Thomas and my Girlfriend just got a 2003 Hyundai Elantra and everything was running great on it the first month she had it BUT the check engine light was on.. After about a month she called me up while driving and said that the check engine light was blinking and the car would hardly move. So I got to the car and looked at it and I noticed the oil filter was a little loose so I tightened it good this time and added a little bit of oil. It actually moved but it would hesitate. So we had it towed to a shop and they read the codes from the check engine light and told us it was leaking oil from the motor some where (not specific) and it also needed a new O2 sensor. So i replaced the catalytic converter underneath the car and also a new sensor along with a new set of spark plugs. It ran alot better and I left it at that. Now about a week later she was coming home and noticed that when she turned left or right that the battery light and brake light on the dash came on. She drove it home and when she turned in the driveway the car went dead. It started right back up and we got it to the house and left it over night. I went out this morning and again it started right up. but when I lifted the hood I noticed the belts on the pulleys were all spinning very slowly. I'm not sure if it could be a timing chain or if it just needs new pulleys. I really need gelp from someone that has gone through this or is good with problems like this. Sorry about the long story but I wanted to make sure I covered everything thats happened. Please Help !! Thanks in Advance Thomas !

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
i'm not sure i want to know, but i'll ask anyways....why replace the cat? was there something wrong with it?

check that the belts aren't just trashed or very loose. they can't grip the pullies if they are, sounds like it could be the problem. belt replacement is cheap and easy so start there. highly unlikely you need new pullies...think rubber on steel. steel wins.

btw that engine has a timing belt, not a chain so if it has never been replaced it is a good idea to do so.

FYI the blinking light is warning the driver if imminent failure...usually misfires, electrical problems. it means get off the road while you still can.

my guess is the belts are slipping badly and can't drive the alternator. car drains battery, doesn't run once that is dead.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Flashing MIL.. scan and repair.. misfire and Hyundai cat do not play well together..

Why replace cat under car ?? Like how much it cost you for the factory part located down stream of any monitored items..

Elantra 2.0 is horrible for over heat and twist head, plugs every 60,000... USE NGK Platinum or IRIDIUM IX.. wires burnt out the plastic sticks down in the tubes,, intake gasket breaks and cause rough run/misfire if bad enough

You need to stop tossing parts, and start with scan and real Hyundai definition of code.. oil filter and belts is not monitored input/output items to PCM.. bulleys and belts only move as fast as the engine drives them..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I replaced the converter because who ever had the car before her cut it out and had a pipe there.. and i replaced the plugs with the correct ones and yes the old ones were shot they looked terrible and were hard to get out. the idle picked up when I put the converter back in and it ran better. now I still have the blinking light and the pulleys are all moving slow. I did get the codes checked. AND they were that the converter was bad cuz IT WAS NOT THERE and the O2 sensor needed replacing. So I did that. The OTHER CODE WAS, It was leaking oil from the back of the motor and was not burring gas right. All the seals are there and i dont see where they got the oil leaking from. And I'm not sure about the gas one either..

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
I replaced the converter because who ever had the car before her cut it out and had a pipe there..
In the front pipe there wher it bolt to center pipe,, that one allowed to be missing.. it is not a monitored item..

and i replaced the plugs with the correct ones and yes the old ones were shot they looked terrible and were hard to get out.
Ok, what the black plastic wire ends look like ?

now I still have the blinking light
Flashing MIL indicative of severe problem that will cause catastrophic catalyst failure if not dealt with right away.. Typical primary cause is hard misfire of some sorts

and the pulleys are all moving slow.
Engine barely running..

I did get the codes checked.
Very good........... now.... what was the codes in their respective "Pxxx" format ???

AND they were that the converter was bad cuz IT WAS NOT THERE
Let me guess........... P0420 ?? The monitored cat that would deliver that code via ox logic is the primary cat (exhaust manifold) that is monitored via the S1 and S2 Ox sensors.. your misfire killed the primary cat.

The down stream cat in the front pipe is well after the last ox sensor, so the PCM knows nothing of the cat under the car.

and the O2 sensor needed replacing.
What code told you that (Pxxxx)? Which sensor did we replace ? S1 or S2..

So I did that.

The OTHER CODE WAS, It was leaking oil from the back of the motor and was not burring gas right. All the seals are there and i dont see where they got the oil leaking from. And I'm not sure about the gas one either..
Oil level, oil leaks, and seals is not monitored input/output to the engine control module
Supply all the codes as recovered in the "Pxxxx" format

1 - 7 of 7 Posts