Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was driving home, and my CEL started blinking like maybe 5 times and went off. I was in 5th gear doing 55MPH with a little over a quarter tank of gas. I just put 10.00 in it not an hour before. No noticeable issues, no sputtering, nothing. Just started blinking and I watched it for a second or two because I know generally when it blinks it means something really bad is going on, but it stopped, went out and continued the rest of the way home with no issues. Ive had no check engine lights at all in the 2 months I have had it. When I was having a buddy hook his scanner up to test my VSS that went out, he said the transmission had 3 stored codes but was unable to access them. He said the car was locking him out of the transmission diagnostics even though it let him in every other system of the car without issue. I talked to the dealer about the VSS and stored codes and they said it was most likely misfires and that its very common on these cars. Its a 2009 Hatchback Accent 5 speed BTW. Any ideas? I will keep an eye on it driving to work tomorrow, the car says it has 101224 miles on it, but its probably closer to 101500 since the VSS went out and its not keeping track of mileage anymore. Just wanted your opinions on what might be going on. I expected with the blinking for there to be a loss of power or something significant that I would notice or the CEL staying on or something, other than blinking a couple times and then staying off for the remainder of the drive. I drove it 20 miles into town and 20 miles back. Happened about 3 miles from home.

·
Registered
4,238 Posts
Blinking CEL means the car is running under condition which can damage the car in some way.
It could mean the engine was running too rich and not burning all the fuel and this would damage the CAT.
Or, the engine was running too lean and not burning hot enough for the cat to work efficiently
The O2 sensor could sense this and reported this problem to the ECU.
Causing a blinking CEL.
But when the conditions went back to normal, it stopped.
It is one possible scenario ??
No noticeable power loss while travelling at higher speeds.

Well, just keep an eye out for it.
And get the VSS fixed ... LOL

·
Registered
13,335 Posts
And STOP when the CEL is blinking!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts