Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do these little inexpensive Blind Spot mirrors work which one sticks on the side mirrors? Where does one position them on the mirror and do they really work 100%in preventing Blind Spots?

·
22,788 Posts
How do these little inexpensive Blind Spot mirrors work which one sticks on the side mirrors? Where does one position them on the mirror and do they really work 100%in preventing Blind Spots?

Custom Accessories 71121 2" Blind Spot Mirror, (Twin Pack) : Amazon.com : Automotive
I've got the same ones, pretty much, if those allow the installer (namely, me) to rotate the spot lens 360 degrees for optimal viewing of lanes on each side. But after looking at that video, I am going to reposition my side mirrors a bit differently, yet retain the spots for improving parking visibility.

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
The 2014 Azera will have a small convex round mirror built into the mirror glass and there will be no Blind Spot Assist System option.

The glass will look similar to this.
Blind Spot Assit Mirror Built in Convex for Hyundai YF Sonata 2011 2012 | eBay

This mirror glass from ebay should also fit the Sonata USA mirrors since it has the rounded lower inner corner. I would go with this instead for factory USA mirrors.

·
22,788 Posts
Understand the wife reference, trust me. ;) I'll try this, again. I placed mine in the upper outside corners. About the 10 o'clock position if the mirror was an analog clock. Then, rotated them (they have a 360 degree rotating option) until it gave me a full view of the adjacent lane. For that brief partial-second(s) when the car next to me disappears from the review mirror and begins to appear alongside my driver/passenger window. I still use that "over the shoulder" look, for obvious reasons. I've witness too many close calls in my life and some resulted in metal becoming bent and plastic components flying through the oncoming traffic.

Watched a video on here posted by another member and will try this adjustment later today. But may keep the spot mirrors and angle them to give me better "curb awareness" when parking. Haven't scratched a rim, yet. Knock on wood! Trying to avoid the mental anguish that comes with that at all costs.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Regarding the question about the stick on convex mirrors. I've tried them on the inner edge, the outer edge, upper edge, and didn't care for them. Had them on both cars and removed them. These stick on mirrors are cheap enough to purchase and apply, try them and form your own opinion.

My Sonata has full convex folding mirrors and the XG350 has full cover, stick on convex mirrors. Both provide great side viewing and no blind spots as on the factory mirrors. Yes, I know the convex full mirrors on the drivers side are not legal, but I'll take my chances with the convex mirrors.

·
22,788 Posts
Here is how the 2014 has them, I'm going to get this mirror when hey r available from parts dept,
Same plan, here. Just the glass, not the entire unit. Prior to install I want to add the blinking LED chevrons (arrows) to the backside of the mirrors.

·
22,788 Posts
Yes, I know the convex full mirrors on the drivers side are not legal, but I'll take my chances with the convex mirrors.
I didn't know this. Why, if you don't mind me asking, are they illegal?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Do you know how much they are going to cost? Do you think they will fit 2011-2013 Sonatas without replacing the assembly?
They should fit the mirror n housing is the same. They should be between $60-100, is what dealer is guessing, not in computer system yet with price.

·
Registered
223 Posts
anyone know how much the actual OEM blind spot monitoring system costs?

I supposed you need to buy just the glass mirrors with the LED blind spot thingy, the harness (plug and play?) and the radar sensors and module?

Hopefully under $600

·
Registered
296 Posts
I guess I would be willing to pay $50 but $100 is a little bit too much...

Rock auto sells aftermarket mirrors for 2012 without turn signal for ~$44 (not painted), so I could probably wait until some third party produces the 2014 model and sell my old mirrors on ebay. I would need 4 of these guys so savings would be significant.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
i don't have blind spots. my mirrors are adjusted correctly. when the car disappears from the rearview mirror, it's in the side view mirrors. when it disappears from the side view mirror, we can either: 1) wave to one another or 2) talk to one another.

in 30+ years of driving...never had an issue.

if anyone trusts the BSDWS solely with mirrors incorrectly adjusted...you will have an issue at some point. like everything else, it's electronic, on a moving vehicle, exposed to the elements. it will fail some day. wish you luck.

·
Registered
192 Posts
if anyone trusts the BSDWS solely with mirrors incorrectly adjusted...you will have an issue at some point. like everything else, it's electronic, on a moving vehicle, exposed to the elements. it will fail some day. wish you luck.
We r only talking about the mirror in the pic not the blind spot assist system, an I would have to say Bull sh$t on the fact that in 30 years of driving you have never had a car surprise you in a blind spot.i do understand what u mean by properly unjust end mirrors, I'm a professional driver that driver over 20000 miles a week. having theses is just extra precaution.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts