Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed today that the passenger side blind spot indicator does not light up any more when a car is in my blind spot. Turning the feature off and then on again will illuminate driver and passenger side though. I figure that there would be some sort of indication (warning light) to show a malfunction. Off to meet my local Hyundai service folks for the first time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
126 Posts
This time of year, make sure the rear bumper is clean. The blind spot modules are located on the corners of the rear bumper. This time of year with all the rain and crap on the road, we see a lot of this with dirty rear bumpers. Check to see if it's dirty, and if so it may be a quick wash and you're good to go

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was raining last night. This morning it is working again. Very odd.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Not odd. If you check your owners manual, it will say things like inclement weather (rain) can impede the performance of these driving aids. This is a fairly common customer concern, and an easily resolved one

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've driven it in snow storms with no issue though.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Same problem with automatic braking, shop manual really has precautions on this issue, they have to be kept clean!

Sure ran into problems on a trip to the Twin Cities to drop my kid off at their airport, salted roads splashed that crap all over my headlights blocking my vision. Had to stop at a gas station to clean them off, very carefully, dang stuff was frozen on.

Limited is the only vehicle we have with side alerts, if my wife catches me not turning my head, bawls me out, other vehicles to not have this feature. Stuff like this makes us stupid and sure do not want to depend on it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Also - the blind spot monitor doesn’t work when driving faster than maybe 5 mph (8 km/h), relative to the other vehicle, when passing cars. So if you’re passing a car going 70 and you’re going 75 MPH the system isn’t likely to sense the vehicle. Though, if they are going maybe 73-74, vehicle may be sensed.

It’s rather annoying and I wish it were simply software but part of it could very well be that it’s hardware limitation. Hard to say without knowing exact module details. Any way - just an observation / opinion.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not working correctly again tonight. Clear night and the indicator is not lighting up for all cars and trucks. Sometimes it lights up for a small car but not for a tractor trailer.

·
22,788 Posts
Not working correctly again tonight. Clear night and the indicator is not lighting up for all cars and trucks. Sometimes it lights up for a small car but not for a tractor trailer.

Almost sounds like an intermittent connection. I’ll defer to the experts!

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
System is called a "Lane Change Assist (LCA)" switch on the lower left hand side of the instrument panel, lets you turn it on or off. Sensors are located on both sides of the rear bumper.

To troubleshoot it, require a Hyundai GDS that lets you program the year make and model according to the shop manual.

Somehow its connected to the steering wheel responsive to the slightest rotation either left or right from center. On mine, stays quiet regardless of how many vehicles that are passing me on the left, or I am passing on the right. But is I rotate the steering wheel every so slightly, the alarms go off.

Where it annoying when existing the interstate, have the steering wheel slightly to the right, but vehicles passing me on the left and lots of them, I am slowing down, beeps like crazy.

I feel there is a sensor that tells side alert that the steering wheel is off center to activate regardless of direction to activate it. Its my understanding with the automatic side alert, won't even let you rotate the wheel.

Sure can't tell by the schematic circuit diagrams, just a bunch of rectangular blocks with wires on it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
System is called a "Lane Change Assist (LCA)" switch on the lower left hand side of the instrument panel, lets you turn it on or off. Sensors are located on both sides of the rear bumper.

To troubleshoot it, require a Hyundai GDS that lets you program the year make and model according to the shop manual.

Somehow its connected to the steering wheel responsive to the slightest rotation either left or right from center. On mine, stays quiet regardless of how many vehicles that are passing me on the left, or I am passing on the right. But is I rotate the steering wheel every so slightly, the alarms go off.

Where it annoying when existing the interstate, have the steering wheel slightly to the right, but vehicles passing me on the left and lots of them, I am slowing down, beeps like crazy.

I feel there is a sensor that tells side alert that the steering wheel is off center to activate regardless of direction to activate it. Its my understanding with the automatic side alert, won't even let you rotate the wheel.

Sure can't tell by the schematic circuit diagrams, just a bunch of rectangular blocks with wires on it.
That's interesting. On the 2018, the LCA only beeps if I have my turn signal on. I can have the wheel cranked and nary a beep.

I don't know if this is a difference in model year or possibly (probably) differences between Canadian and US models.

·
Registered
845 Posts
...That's interesting. On the 2018, the LCA only beeps if I have my turn signal on. I can have the wheel cranked and nary a beep.
When would you be going at speed and have the wheel cranked? Or maybe I'm not understanding you. If you have the wheel cranked, you would be going very slowly or stopped, and in that case, the LCA would not activate, because you have to be going faster than 20 mph (30 km/h).

·
Registered
31 Posts
When would you be going at speed and have the wheel cranked? Or maybe I'm not understanding you. If you have the wheel cranked, you would be going very slowly or stopped, and in that case, the LCA would not activate, because you have to be going faster than 20 mph (30 km/h).
Yeah, that was a poor choice of words. What I meant was I've been at highway speed going around a curve with a car in my blind spot (light on my mirror was lit) and there was no alert but as soon as I engage my turn signal that's when it lights up.

·
Registered
610 Posts
This time of year, make sure the rear bumper is clean. The blind spot modules are located on the corners of the rear bumper. This time of year with all the rain and crap on the road, we see a lot of this with dirty rear bumpers. Check to see if it's dirty, and if so it may be a quick wash and you're good to go
Per the manual (pages 5-44 & 5-45), a warning message of either "Check BSD System" or "BSD Canceled" is supposed to appear if there's a problem with the blind spot detection system.

Looks like the difference is: "BSD Canceled" is for blockage/inclement weather and "Check BSD System" is for some sort of sensor or component failure.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Ha, one good feature of "Lane Change Assist (LCA)" you can switch it off just like traction control, can also switch that off.

Can an 89 cent microcontroller replace your brain?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What is Lane Change Assist? I'm talking about Blind Spot Detection.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts