Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saturday it was rather nice out, so naturally I was really getting into the Sonata. (love the turbo roar) When I got home the whole back of the car was covered in a black soot from the tail pipes upward. Is this normal? should I wind it up more often to burn out the carbon? or is a trip to the service dept in order?(first car with a turbo)

·
Registered
137 Posts
That is interesting. Ive never had that happen either. Are u sure it's carbon or could it be oil?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is interesting. Ive never had that happen either. Are u sure it's carbon or could it be oil?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I doubt that's its oil, as we were on our way back from having the oil changed at the dealership. It looks like the same stuff that always on the ends of the exhaust tips. 10k miles on the car, and everything checks out ok at the service dept.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
It is just carbon build up that you blew out the motor after you punched it. Known thing with GDI motors. It also happens with the Azera and that is an N/A V6.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Good information to know. I did not know this.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Saturday it was rather nice out, so naturally I was really getting into the Sonata. (love the turbo roar) When I got home the whole back of the car was covered in a black soot from the tail pipes upward. Is this normal? should I wind it up more often to burn out the carbon? or is a trip to the service dept in order?(first car with a turbo)
It's a normal, coming from a GDi engine.

There's some technical explanation for the soot with direct injection.
Fords and many other brands' GDi-equipped vehicles have this sooting issue as well.

·
Registered
69 Posts
It's normal from any turbo motor as well. Some of it is naturally un-burnt fuel. I had that all the time on my CX-7 and if you lay attention, you'll see it on the turbo BMWs, VW/Audis and Forf Ecoboosts. Totally natural for a turbo.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just bought a new Sonata (2013 SE 2.0 T) with 19 miles and it also has soot towards the top of the tail pipes, I rarely use the turbo so far and happy to hear its normal. Is there any way to stop this, would getting mid grade or premium gas help?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Rarely use it? It spools so low, you use it in almost every gear. As far as the soot...either live with it, or wipe it down everyday...pretty much the only two options.

·
Registered
8,613 Posts
When you let the throttle snap shut the car will run very rich for a second. This goes right through the cat and builds up the soot.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Rarely use it? It spools so low, you use it in almost every gear. As far as the soot...either live with it, or wipe it down everyday...pretty much the only two options.
Use meaning not having a heavy foot or engaging past normal driving conditions haha.. It's not bothering me that much since I have it in grey. The test driving couple in front of me were in a white sonata and it was pretty bad where you could easily see it towards the bottom of their bumper

·
Registered
313 Posts
If you're not going to put the hammer down every now and then, why did you buy the turbo in the first place? B) Should have just gotten the N.A. 2.4 or the hybrid.

I get sooty exhaust tips all the time. I wipe them down about once or twice a week. I usually drive it down the block until condensation starts coming out of the pipes, and then use that to wipe off the soot. I keep a stash of napkins or paper towels in my door pocket for just that purpose. Weird, I know, but I'm a little OCD about the sooty tailpipes.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I punched my 2.4 getting on the highway on the way to work and left a nice cloud for the car behind me to drive through. lol I used to always do that with my 84 Caddi Sedan DeVille.

·
Registered
87 Posts
The turbo begs for you to step on it getting on the freeway, making passes etc.... I love the acceleration, that is what made me by this car. Not using it is the equivalent of buying a Corvette and doing 50 mph on the interstate.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts