Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2011 2.0T is burning over a quart of oil in 1000 miles. Replaced the spark plugs and boots three or four thousand miles ago and just had to replace them again after a long trip. # 3 and 4 were fouled with oil bad enough where #3 was misfiring. Could this be the turbo? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
You don't say how far the car has traveled and more info about the oil on the plugs is needed. Was it oil in the plug holes or was it on the electrodes of the plug? If it's on the electrodes and wet it's usually rings and if it's dry carbon it's valve stem seals. The turbo is another issue and can be picked up by looking in the intake piping for oil deposits.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Definitely get the valve cover replaced, then if the burn continues I would suggest doing an oil consumption test with your dealer. I had to do that with my car and ended up getting a new engine, however your experience may vary.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Valve cover is leaking...needs a gasket.
How did you come to the conclusion that the valve cover is leaking and needs replacement? The OP states that the plugs were fouled from oil burning inside the combustion chamber. A leaking valve cover gasket would cause externally dripping oil to the ground, not fouling of the spark plugs. Please explain.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
How did you come to the conclusion that the valve cover is leaking and needs replacement? The OP states that the plugs were fouled from oil burning inside the combustion chamber. A leaking valve cover gasket would cause externally dripping oil to the ground, not fouling of the spark plugs. Please explain.
Replaced the spark plugs and boots three or four thousand miles ago and just had to replace them again after a long trip.
Pretty basic really...he mentions replacing boots! :rolleyes: And just because he says "burning", it doesn't mean he isn't leaking that oil.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts