Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got around to installing my hitch for my bike rack. Wasn't too bad, took maybe an hour or so. Had to drop the exhaust and one of the aero panels. Also had to enlarge two of the chassis holes to snake the mounting bolts through.

Apparently bikes aren't very aerodynamic in the sideways position. Good for a 2-3 mile drop in MPG with that hanging back there! :D

·
Registered
218 Posts
Wow nice setup dude. I have a old school bike rack that sits on the trunk lid and you use straps to secure it from the front and back. It works, but i try to make sure that i clean the rubber feet where the rack sits. This way, the un clean surface don't damage the paint as much from the rubbing.

I should find a newer solution, like this perhaps.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Interesting. I am planning on buying a WhispBar roof-mount system because I already have Yakima Raptor bike trays. Do you prefer the hitch-mount over the roof?

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Interesting. I am planning on buying a WhispBar roof-mount system because I already have Yakima Raptor bike trays. Do you prefer the hitch-mount over the roof?
Didn't want to find out what would happen if I accidentally opened the panoramic roof with a roof mount system installed!!! :eek: So much easier to load on the back as well. Getting too old to lift them puppies up on top.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Ah, I forgot about that. In fact, that was one of the reasons we opted not to get the pano. Glass probably wouldn't hold up too well with a bike accidentally falling on it.

G

·
Nice install, im intrigued by the fact that the hitch only fits 2011 hsh and not 2012's. The cars are identical!

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Eric, nice job on the hitch and even nicer bike! Best of luck with both.

Here is a link to a previous thread which contains a few pictures of hitches on the hybrid. I installed one last year for my bike rack and it has served me well, and recently I installed an anti-rattle hitch lock which works incredibly well in stopping any sway on the rack, as well as securing the rack to the car when we go on the bike trails.
http://www.hyundai-forums.com/229-sonata-yf-hybrid/130437-trailer-hitch-bike-rack.html

Here is the anti-rattle lock if anyone is interested:
Anti-Rattle with Lock for 1-1/4" Trailer Hitches Lets Go Aero Locks,Hitch Accessories 63147

·
Banned
1,850 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
I was looking at this set up also. I had multiple sales people talk me out of the whispbar because of damage they cause at the mounting locations. I ended up with the Thule version. Its super quiet and I've noticed very little, if any, drop in mpg. The noise level is increased none to very little (the original noisy Sonata helps hide it).

·
Registered
198 Posts
Which exact Thule model did you get? How have you liked it? Any scratches near mounting pads? How stable? Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I considered a hitch mount but was wondering if I would lose even more ground clearance. Have you had any issues with that?
Anyway, I traded my old Saris hitch mount for a Saris RS trunk mount. I haven't had any complaints so far as the ratchet system lets me snug it fairly tight.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No probs to date. I have an uphill driveway with a big dip at the entrance so I made sure to pick a rack that angled up coming out of the hitch.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Which exact Thule model did you get? How have you liked it? Any scratches near mounting pads? How stable? Thanks for the heads up.
Sending a pm so we won't clutter this thread.

·
Banned
694 Posts
Rack & Roll

As my wife seems ready to commit to biking - she’s waiting on her flat bar Fuji
road bike - I used the info on this thread to find first a trailer hitch and second, a good rack to go in it.

The rack was easy. We ordered a Thule Apex 4 Bike Carrier from etrailer.com:

Thule Apex 4 Bike Carrier for 1-1/4" and 2" Hitches - Tilting Thule Hitch Bike Racks TH9025

There's also a video of an install on a 4 cyl. Sonata in that link.

Decided to ditch my Yakima Aero Raptor roof carrier, which we used with a Thule 9007 Gateway 3 Bike Rack (only good to hang two on the Venza) to get all 3 on the Venza and install that Class II hitch.
The Apex will carry 4 bikes with a class II hitch on the Venza and two with a class I on the Sonata hybrid. Fits my trusty T100 too.

This is where it gets complicated; neither high volume Hyundai store I bought cars from had ever installed a hitch on a Sonata hybrid.

The Greensboro, NC dealer used a Leonard Truck Outlet to do all their hitch installs. I called them and they said probably no issues so next I checked with a local garage/U Haul dealer/tow company who had carried my 2011 hybrid to G’boro back when I was having CEL - check charging issues. They were almost positive they’d have no issues on the Sonata install.

This is what confused me. Every hitch recommended for my vehicle on the etrailer site had this in the notes:
Tech Tip: Hitch will not fit models made in Korea.

The tech at the local garage said go ahead and order it. He recommended Advance Auto.
I found the right Curt hitches for both the Sonata and Venza on the website but when I went into a store they were unable to access and order but told me to go online @ home.

Actually I called and double checked with the rep and this is the best part of this long tale: I got a 15% discount, free shipping, a return-to-store option in case it doesn’t fit with no charge.
Total for two Curt hitches shipped to me w/tax was $250.77
And to top it all off I’m getting a $25 coupon after 30 days good on my next purchase of $50.
S-w-e-e-e-e-t!

Advance Auto Parts: Car, Engine, Batteries, Brakes, Replacement, Performance & Accessories

So to xxx4reggie I also say welcome and the above is yet another example of how this forum community can really assist Sonata hybrid owners more than all the other forums wadded together.

·
Banned
694 Posts
Hopefully will be getting the hitch installed Monday.
Now if it would just stop raining . . . . . . .
Neither hitch fit but was able to return to local Advance Auto w/o paying return shipping.
They don't even have the Curt hitch that does fit Sonatas.
Done with AA as far as hitches go.

Next I called eTrailer only to learn that if a hitch doesn't fit I would be responsible for shipping BOTH ways although they would ship to me free initially.

Called Curt directly next, rep said their hitch would work and referred me to Leonard (truck accessories, camper shells).
Leonard had both hitches we need in the Atlanta warehouse, do hitch installs for Bob Dunn Hyundai, and will pay return shipping if they can't install one.

Have to pay a little more but way less than if ordered anywhere else if I had to return. Will update after the Sonata hitch hopefully goes on.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
that is a very nice setup! great work!

it sure beats my universal bike rack...but meh it was cheaper:p one of the universal ones that sits on the back of my trunk with 6 straps holding it on. gets the job done.

·
Banned
694 Posts
Neither hitch fit but was able to return to local Advance Auto w/o paying return shipping.
They don't even have the Curt hitch that does fit Sonatas.
Done with AA as far as hitches go.

Next I called eTrailer only to learn that if a hitch doesn't fit I would be responsible for shipping BOTH ways although they would ship to me free initially.

Called Curt directly next, rep said their hitch would work and referred me to Leonard (truck accessories, camper shells).
Leonard had both hitches we need in the Atlanta warehouse, do hitch installs for Bob Dunn Hyundai, and will pay return shipping if they can't install one.

Have to pay a little more but way less than if ordered anywhere else if I had to return. Will update after the Sonata hitch hopefully goes on.
Leonard took about an hour to install the Curt hitch.
Cost $50.
They had done a couple more Hybrid Sonatas but they weren't sure which year.

You can put a hitch on a 2013.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts