Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know any bike racks that fit our hatch design? I saw a few, like Thelma, but were 200-300 dollars. Anyways guys know any sturdy, inexpensive racks
for our cars? Recently bought the GT nomad sport so want to start going to trials before Janurary hits (since that's when it snows these days in the east coast lol)

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
What kind of rack do you want? Roof or hitch mounted?

I would go with a hitch mount because it won't impact MPG's as much as a roof rack. You have to buy a hitch though.

Thule and Yakima offer good racks but they aren't cheap. Ebay would be a good place to look for a cheap bike rack but you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I want hitch since I dont want to be drilling any holes in my roof. I also saw there were options for roof hitches... 2"? 1.25"?
So which rack hitches does thou recommend?

·
Registered
83 Posts
QUOTE (Sleeper @ Aug 22 2010, 07:51 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=351142
I want hitch since I dont want to be drilling any holes in my roof. I also saw there were options for roof hitches... 2"? 1.25"?
So which rack hitches does thou recommend?
So far I'm loving my Swagman Xp , it folds down if I need to go in the trunk too. I had 3 bikes on there , and had no problems with it. Last screw (that tightnens the bike frame to the rack) Has a lock on it. So the bikes are pretty much safe when on there. I paid in the 150-200 range back 3 years ago.

·
Registered
763 Posts
uhh.....you dont have to drill holes in your roof for a roof rack.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well some the ones I've seen, like a Yakima rack require you to drill holes into your roof to secure the rack onto the roof of your car.

·
Registered
268 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
OK. Here it is with one bike. A second would go on the car side of the vertical support post. There's another upside-down U clamp for it. The post has teeth on it. Most folk would say it's a ratchet-like mechanism (it's really not but that's descriptive enough). Each wheel has rubber tie-downs. I usually tie the two bikes together at the top-tube with a bungie. Just to provide another layer of security. Really solid. Easy to mount and add/remove bikes. The hatch still can be used with the post up. But not with bikes on at all.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts