Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,
Just to give a heads-up if anyone is thinking about getting a bike rack for the trunk (hatch) of their 2018 GT Sport Hatchback.

My first choice as the Yakima Halfback, since my previous rack for another car was a Yakima KingJoe Pro 2 (but does not fit the GT). Yakima has not yet 'evaluated' the Yakima Halfback for the GT, but I tried it anyway. But it is way too heavy and the clips for the top of the hatch don't slide in at all.

So I returned it and got the Thule Gateway 2. Much lighter and the clips fit very easily into the edges of the hatch.

So just to save anyone from the aggravation I had with the Yakima, this is my experience.
Gary

·
Registered
34 Posts
Can you post a pic of it on the car with a bike on it? I have tried these kinds of racks before on a previous hatchback I had, and I didn't like it pulling down on the spoiler. I also didn't like how close the bike sat to the back of the car, especially the pedals.

I'd love to see how well it works on the GT, and how you're setting it up.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can you post a pic of it on the car with a bike on it? I have tried these kinds of racks before on a previous hatchback I had, and I didn't like it pulling down on the spoiler. I also didn't like how close the bike sat to the back of the car, especially the pedals.

Thanks in advance!
=================================
Give me a few days. Can't do it right now. But when I first put it on, I did not see any pressure on the spoiler. And the pedals were not near the car. Thule says it can rest on the rear bumper. So it has good support, less stress on the spoiler and glass, if any. I'll try to take some pictures soon, maybe by Tues.
Gary

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)

Thanks in advance!
=================================
Here are some pictures of the Thule Gateway 2 on my GT. The upper straps aren't really putting pressure on the spoiler since the rack rests on the bumper. The clips fit in very easily on the top and sides. You have to slightly lift the hatch to fit in the bottom clips, but no problem there. The pedal is far enough away from the back of the GT. The bike is very firmly strapped in. And the Gateway 2 is nicely light in weight as opposed to the Yamaha Halfback it tried first.
Hope this helps.
Gary

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
It’s too bad that manufacturers don’t care about trailer hitches for their cars. I would already own a GT Sport w/tech package, but I absolutely refuse to hang my bikes from a trunk rack or put them on the roof of a car. Lack of trailer hitch availability on the GT Sport is a complete deal-breaker. I’m glad you found something that works for you though!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It’s too bad that manufacturers don’t care about trailer hitches for their cars. I would already own a GT Sport w/tech package, but I absolutely refuse to hang my bikes from a trunk rack or put them on the roof of a car. Lack of trailer hitch availability on the GT Sport is a complete deal-breaker. I’m glad you found something that works for you though!
===============================
Greetings,
Just curious, why wouldn't you use a trunk rack?
Gary

·
Registered
34 Posts
This is AWESOME Thank you so much! I may indeed give this a shot. I was thinking about a hitch but this looks like it would work well!

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you can find an aftermarket hitch with the larger size its more secure. Although it is more money I highly suggest a accessory hitch based system for the following reasons:

Its more secure
less chance of damaging car
still have access to trunk with bikes in place

·
Registered
13,349 Posts
Greetings,
Just to give a heads-up if anyone is thinking about getting a bike rack for the trunk (hatch) of their 2018 GT Sport Hatchback.

My first choice as the Yakima Halfback, since my previous rack for another car was a Yakima KingJoe Pro 2 (but does not fit the GT). Yakima has not yet 'evaluated' the Yakima Halfback for the GT, but I tried it anyway. But it is way too heavy and the clips for the top of the hatch don't slide in at all.

So I returned it and got the Thule Gateway 2. Much lighter and the clips fit very easily into the edges of the hatch.

So just to save anyone from the aggravation I had with the Yakima, this is my experience.
Gary
HINT: Go to the local hardware store, where they hopefully still sell Vlecro by the foot. Get about a foot of it.

Take the "soft" part, cut it to fit the pieces that 'clamp' to the top and bottom of the hatch. Make it slightly longer then the hooks that catch the hatch. This will keep it from biting into the paint on the hatch.

Reactions: Parteklman909

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just want to point out that I can get my bike and my wife's bike in the back of my GT Sport (with the seat down obviously). I have to take my front wheel off, but not hers. Also room for a pump, helmets etc.
I hate bike racks and refuse to use them, which is why I got the hatch in the first place.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts