Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i have been through a few tires .... and the largest i was able to put on with out rubbing at all is ...
215 /40/18's in the front ....and 225/40/18's in the back

and i also had .... 225/35/18's in the front ... and 245/40/18's in the back ......
and it only scraped when going fast over something i shouldn't or turning the steering wheel all the way left or right ......

So my question is has someone done Bigger ??????

·
Registered
129 Posts
I just got my summer wheels and tires mounted the other day:

225/50R15 on 15x7 ET42.

The tires are pretty much perfectly flush with the fenders in the front. There may be rubbing at full lock on the inside front if the suspension is compressed... but that is a pretty rare occasion. I'm still on the stock suspension.

I think 225 is as wide as you can go on the front without modifying the fender... and even then you have to be careful with the offset you pick. The rears can have a more aggressive tire width/offset. For instance, I'd say I could probably add a 10mm (or maybe even 15mm) spacer in the rear without any rubbing issues.

·
Registered
66 Posts
QUOTE (07accent1.6 @ May 12 2010, 02:26 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=322033
ok so i have been through a few tires .... and the largest i was able to put on with out rubbing at all is ...

and i also had .... 225/35/18's in the front ... and 245/40/18's in the back ......
and it only scraped when going fast over something i shouldn't or turning the steering wheel all the way left or right ......

Bigger?

Taller tire? Yes 25.2"

Bigger wheel? no

Wider tire? no

215/60R15 +42 offset on 7.5 wheels

Only rubbed on rear mud guards occasionally.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well just drop the car and with the 18's the front will rub when the car hits a popstical stick in the road ... lol j/k ..... i have to go up **** like a slammed honda .... but it fells a lot more responsive !!!!!

·
Registered
57 Posts
QUOTE (07accent1.6 @ May 12 2010, 06:26 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=322033

My question is why would you want to go bigger???? This is a 2300 pound car with 110hp not a BMW or Mustang. I would stick with some 17's with 215's anything bigger is over kill and just making the car even slower.

·
Registered
57 Posts
QUOTE (JoeyBello @ Jun 19 2010, 02:02 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=334442
My question is why would you want to go bigger???? This is a 2300 pound car with 110hp not a BMW or Mustang. I would stick with some 17's with 215's anything bigger is over kill and just making the car even slower.

And just to give you an idea of what I mean.. I had a 1995 Dodge Neon. about 2400-2500 pounds. I had Eibach Sway bars with ES bushings. A freedom Design Strut bar. Jamex springs and struts. A Quickpipe intake, and Borla Exhaust on it. with custom 14x6 wheels which I am selling in the classifeds.. with 195-60-14 tires.. and I beat plenty of cars that were much faster when the roads were curvy.. including a mustang. once we got straight he blew me away but around the twisties I passed him.

So Honestly with a car like the Accent I would reccomend like 15x7 with 215-50 tires.. even 16's on this car are a bit too much. yeah they look better but for performance .. unless they are really light weight racing rims.. not gonna help much.. You can get a set of 15's on Tire Rack that weigh 9 pounds. Losing all that weight is gonna help more then big **** 18's that rub.

So it depends what your goals are.. a slow **** pimp mobile, or something more sporty and quick.

·
Registered
57 Posts
QUOTE (Sleeper @ Jun 19 2010, 02:05 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=334446
Here are mine... 215/35-18...40 offset...

[attachment=18923:DSC00006.JPG]

And just some advice for you guys if you need a 35 sidewall to run 215's that means the car wasn't meant for something that big.. 45's are the lowest I would run. Its just not enuff tire for me. My acura had 215-50-17's stock. But when a car has 205-45-16 stock -- or lower on the base cars.. thats telling u right there.. um don't go much bigger.

I don't know what the Sr's use.. I know they use 17's but I wouldn't go any larger than whatever they come with. If 215-45-17's fit I would use that with 7.5 in wheels. Anything bigger your asking for trouble and there will not be a performance gain, if anything there will be a loss.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
QUOTE (JoeyBello @ Jun 19 2010, 02:19 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=334456
And just some advice for you guys if you need a 35 sidewall to run 215's that means the car wasn't meant for something that big.. 45's are the lowest I would run. Its just not enuff tire for me. My acura had 215-50-17's stock. But when a car has 205-45-16 stock -- or lower on the base cars.. thats telling u right there.. um don't go much bigger.

I don't know what the Sr's use.. I know they use 17's but I wouldn't go any larger than whatever they come with. If 215-45-17's fit I would use that with 7.5 in wheels. Anything bigger your asking for trouble and there will not be a performance gain, if anything there will be a loss.
But not everyone is looking for performance. Some simply to it for looks. 205/45/16 is a very good size on an Accent, I have to agree with that. A 215/40/16 would also be good if the wheels are wide enough.

If you want performance, a 15" is the best. Light wheel and tire with a good selection.

·
Registered
515 Posts
To each his own... The 215/35-18 were the recommendations by tirerack for the 18's i got so I trust that source...also, unless you are boosting this car, it will never be a "sports" car...we can essentially speed it up a bit but nothing (not even N/A the car) will make it faster than other sport coupes on the road except for turbo/boosting it. Getting lighter wheels to "speed the car up" will mean nothing if you have anything in the trunk weighing more than the weight that was saved getting lighter wheels. I am personally going for looks with some performance additions to improve performance and make it look aesthetically pleasing but I do not have any ideas of grandeur.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
QUOTE (Sleeper @ Jun 19 2010, 04:01 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=334480
To each his own... The 215/35-18 were the recommendations by tirerack for the 18's i got so I trust that source...also, unless you are boosting this car, it will never be a "sports" car...we can essentially speed it up a bit but nothing (not even N/A the car) will make it faster than other sport coupes on the road except for turbo/boosting it. Getting lighter wheels to "speed the car up" will mean nothing if you have anything in the trunk weighing more than the weight that was saved getting lighter wheels. I am personally going for looks with some performance additions to improve performance and make it look aesthetically pleasing but I do not have any ideas of grandeur.
But lighter wheels do a LOT more for handling and unsprung weight than acceleration. Same thing for tires.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts