Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello friends,

I installed a 1070w RMS audio system in my 2013 Sonata with the AMAZING help I received in these forums several years ago. One issue I have always had is that my interior lights and headlights are constantly dimming with the beat (every time the kick drum goes off, basically). My amps are tuned, so I know I'm not clipping.

I've been thinking about doing the "Big 3" upgrade. I did not do it back when I installed the system because some members insisted that these vehicles may already have the "Big 3" upgrade from the factory; and several other users pointed out that they had more powerful systems that me and ran into no issues.

Has anyone had a similar experience with their aftermarket audio systems in these cars? Perhaps someone did the "Big 3" upgrade and managed to solve the issue? Any feedback relating to this topic would be GREATLY appreciated, since I am admittedly not a "car guy" myself and generally do not understand these things without explanation.

Thank you so much!

·
Registered
7,959 Posts
Well if it's dimming then the wire size is an issue or the connectors are too small. Upgrading the ground is something I would do. As Hyundai uses the body.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
If you dont have a 2nd battery at the amplifiers, start there

Find a bigger alternator

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you dont have a 2nd battery at the amplifiers, start there

Find a bigger alternator
Getting an aftermarket alternator has always been on my mind, and its definitely something I'm thinking about now that I'm out of warranty on the car. For anyone curious, I found this very short series of 1-2 minute videos on YouTube where a guy talks about how Hyundai already uses 4 gauge wiring in most of the engine bay's electrical (pertaining to the "big 3" upgrade) EXCEPT for the alternator negative wire to chassis ground. I'm thinking this might be the first thing I try.

Here's the video (which I've started at part 4 of 7 or so):

·
Registered
59 Posts
What size of power wire are you using,What load is at the amplifier is it running to the max. If you are using 4 gauge for power than ground should be the same to the body. Keep in mind putting a second battery helps but remember the alternator now has to charge 2. Sometimes a capacitor helps as well at least a 2 farad

1 - 5 of 5 Posts