Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I open the fog light housing I had noticed the chrome bowl reflector is plastic for OEM halogen 880 bulbs; it doesn't have that much heat so I'm not sure how Long plastic housing can hold heat from hid kits and fog light kits from eBay. It doesn't seal good. I didn't need a heat gun to open it but only 5 clips hold between lens and housing. I'm sure rain water can leak into the side sooner or later.
Normally the fog light is used for short amount if time so should be fine.
OEM Low & HI beam housing made form ceramic, but don't know why the fog light housing is made from plastic.
I will post pic later on.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Yeah I thought I remember reading in the owners manual to not leave the fog lights on all the time. I recently have been though. I'm sure small trips around town are fine, but long trips where you're driving for hours, probably could turn them off. I have just OEM bulbs too.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
I have stepped up to the 37.5w bulbs and so far so good. I always use mines at night but then most of my travels are only about a 1/2hr or so. Thanks for the heads up.

·
22,793 Posts
I have stepped up to the 37.5w bulbs and so far so good. I always use mines at night but then most of my travels are only about a 1/2hr or so. Thanks for the heads up.
That's me, also. About a 30 minute drive from work to home. I upgraded to 35w and haven't noticed any problems. Big improvement over the stock 27.5w that came with the car. Did that mod last Spring. So far, holding up rather well.

Considering Nokya 881 yellow bulbs when I work up the nerve to stick my arms back up there in those meat grinding holes. Next Spring, possibly. And you can bet the mortgage I'll be wearing a long-sleeved shirt. If I'm required to donate blood, I'd rather it be to the Red Cross. ;)

·
Registered
439 Posts
I posted last year how I melted my HID harness in the fogs...however I installed another set of HID with new harness into it...so far no issues...however I think if we wont sale it this december I will ask Lou to install same LED inserts like he has it...no reason to have HID in fogs if you have OEM HIDs in heads.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Yeah I thought I remember reading in the owners manual to not leave the fog lights on all the time. I recently have been though. I'm sure small trips around town are fine, but long trips where you're driving for hours, probably could turn them off. I have just OEM bulbs too.
I can't help but find this very funny. I really hope you are mistaken and it really doesn't say that in the owners manual. If it does say that... Well... I'll keep my thoughts to myself.

Sent from my SCH-I535

·
22,793 Posts
I can't help but find this very funny. I really hope you are mistaken and it really doesn't say that in the owners manual. If it does say that... Well... I'll keep my thoughts to myself.

Sent from my SCH-I535
It REALLY does say that. Various opinions. Melts the plastic housing, discolors the reflector in the back, alternator has too much demand upon it. A variety of comments. I don't believe I have ever seen a reputable and definitive answer.

If it was posted, I missed it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
So I am using really bright LED bulbs instead of the HIDs into my fog light housing.
Need to get quality brighter one or really dim.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts

Sent from my SCH-I535
It does, but not for the reasons alluded to.

"When in operation, the fog
lights consume large amounts
of vehicle electrical power. Only
use the fog lights when visibility
is poor or unnecessary battery
and generator drain could
occur."

1 - 10 of 10 Posts