Hyundai Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
701 - 720 of 736 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Most of the front end of your car is new! :)

They actually let you video that process??
Temecula Hyundai here in SoCal has cameras that video every maintenance bay and any customer can request a copy. When I picked it up today, the service manager walked me through everything, showed me my engine (clean as a whistle) and gave me all documentation that I requested. Other than missing the brake pad, they were amazing...when I drove it home it was pulling to the right pretty bad, took it back, they sent it right over to get aligned, in and out in an hour.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
I'm surprised they didn't make you sign something promising to keep quiet about the whole thing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Nothing. I couldn't believe they fessed up to the brake pad. I probably would have just said it was the subframe and kept quiet about the other stuff.

·
Registered
17,554 Posts
Got another engine job.. 2.4 knocking really nicely.. Turbo from couple week ago got pulled and give to another tech, as I was buried in too much engine stuff already... working 1 turbo, another turbo as #2 waiting in my line, and another for tear down as it would not run (chain stretch real bad and jump, didnt crash valves).. add a transmission,, Mgr started shuffling stuff to get me unloaded.

·
Senior Menmber
2,134 Posts
Got another engine job.. 2.4 knocking really nicely.. Turbo from couple week ago got pulled and give to another tech, as I was buried in too much engine stuff already... working 1 turbo, another turbo as #2 waiting in my line, and another for tear down as it would not run (chain stretch real bad and jump, didnt crash valves).. add a transmission,, Mgr started shuffling stuff to get me unloaded.
So what are you doing with all your spare time. LOL

Seriously, does there seem to be more 2011-2012 2.4 L and/or 2.0 T engines with spun rods than you would normally expect in the shop? I know it's subjective, but your long experience and expertise can offer some perspective on whether there are potential defects in some engines and/or the extent of that potential.

There isn't reliable publicly available data as a basis for me to believe there's a significant number of defects. But, my mind is open. Your perspective would be an important influencing factor for me to consider in drawing a stronger conclusion one way or the other.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
So what are you doing with all your spare time. LOL

Seriously, does there seem to be more 2011-2012 2.4 L and/or 2.0 T engines with spun rods than you would normally expect in the shop? I know it's subjective, but your long experience and expertise can offer some perspective on whether there are potential defects in some engines and/or the extent of that potential.

There isn't reliable publicly available data as a basis for me to believe there's a significant number of defects. But, my mind is open. Your perspective would be an important influencing factor for me to consider in drawing a stronger conclusion one way or the other.
Just spinning briefly back through the threads I am seeing more Turbos than 2.4's. That can be explainable due to the fact that if its eating oil and its a turbo it going to grenade faster.

People (generic non quantified value) treat turbos the same as NA and they are not. They need more vigilance and maintenance for that extra right foot happiness. Turbos (the specific part) will easily last 150-200k before requiring rebuild or replacement. Cheap out on your oil or your oil change intervals and you are going to shorten that time. Don't monitor your oil level and you will REALLY reduce its lifespan.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
I suspect most 2.0T owners aren't using 5w-40 like they should be, especially if they're using bulk oil at the quick lube. Regardless, it seems 2.4 and 2.0T are equally affected, which is why I can't understand why the lawsuit only mentions the 2.4

If Hyundai still doesn't know what's causing this it would be very disappointing, and it would make me not even trust a 2015.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Turbos (the specific part) will easily last 150-200k before requiring rebuild or replacement. Cheap out on your oil or your oil change intervals and you are going to shorten that time. Don't monitor your oil level and you will REALLY reduce its lifespan.
My turbo lasted 93,500 miles. I religiously change oil every 5k with OEM filter and Mobil 1 Extended Performance. Replaced under warranty. Luckily, it was before 100k.

·
Senior Menmber
2,134 Posts
My turbo lasted 93,500 miles. I religiously change oil every 5k with OEM filter and Mobil 1 Extended Performance. Replaced under warranty. Luckily, it was before 100k.
I assumed you also checked the oil level often and kept it at the full mark. You may have just gotten a bad turbo. Glad you found out before the end of the warranty.

Car manufacturers want to meet fuel efficiency standards and still offer powerful engines. Their strategy is to manufacture smaller, fuel efficient engines for better mpg and pair them with turbos for the extra hp consumers demand. The problem with this strategy is that the current generation of expensive turbos wear out much faster than the engines.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
What was cause of failure?

Glad you got it repaired under warranty.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I assumed you also checked the oil level often and kept it at the full mark. You may have just gotten a bad turbo. Glad you found out before the end of the warranty.
I check the oil every other time I fill up (every 2 weeks). I think I just got a bad one. They didn't question my servicing intervals, as I do all the maintenance myself.

What was cause of failure?

Glad you got it repaired under warranty.
Good question. I asked the service adviser the reason, and her response was "the mechanic said it was fried". I really didn't care after that, as I was getting a new turbo under warranty. The only code was P2563 and no boost.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
So it was just the turbo itself that failed and not the whole engine? Were you using 5w-40?

·
Registered
17,554 Posts
Replace 2 turbo in the product line.. my first was a Certified that fella bought at another dealer maybe 3 day prior, 2 1/2 hr away in a bigger city that occupy most of the county..

Come in w/MIL, and misfire.. no big deal, plug was broken, replaced plug.. started up, idle fine now,, YEA !!

Took for test drive,, what a TURD... would not spool up and go.. spark plug remnant went out of cylinder, and right into turbo' vanes.. CRASH !! Hyundai dont pay much toward actual manifold-turbo replacement time.. I had to drop frame to have room to reach in and get turbo off and back onto cylinder head.. and align front end after putting frame back in..

Second was a Veloster.. turbo tiny,, Wal-Mart hair dryer likely blow more air.. car was smoking badly,, got up in air and pull pressure tube off inlet to intercooler,, smooth move EXLAX,,, out come a couple qt of nasty black motor oil all over floor, me, and shop cart.. WHAT A MESS to clean up..

Neighbor replaced turbo on one of the 4 cylinder turbo Genesis Coupe,, making noise..

·
Senior Menmber
2,134 Posts
Second was a Veloster.. turbo tiny,, Wal-Mart hair dryer likely blow more air.. car was smoking badly,, got up in air and pull pressure tube off inlet to intercooler,, smooth move EXLAX,,, out come a couple qt of nasty black motor oil all over floor, me, and shop cart.. WHAT A MESS to clean up.

That's a very creative way to take care of dry skin. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Well ... it seems it's official...

Hyundai recalls 470,000 Sonatas in US; manufacturing problem can cause engine failure.

Recall notice

NHTSA Recall Number: opens new window takes away from VIN lookup section> 15V569000 Recall Date: September 24, 2015
Manufacturer Recall Number: 132
SUMMARY:

HYUNDAI MOTOR AMERICA (HYUNDAI) IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2011-2012 SONATA VEHICLES MANUFACTURED DECEMBER 11, 2009, TO APRIL 12, 2012 AT HYUNDAI MOTOR MANUFACTURING ALABAMA AND EQUIPPED WITH EITHER A 2.0 LITER OR 2.4 LITER GASOLINE DIRECT INJECTION ENGINE. IN THE AFFECTED VEHICLES, METALLIC DEBRIS MAY NOT HAVE BEEN FULLY REMOVED DURING MANUFACTURING OF THE ENGINE CRANKSHAFT. IF THE DEBRIS WAS NOT COMPLETELY REMOVED, OIL FLOW MAY BE RESTRICTED THROUGH THE CONNECTING ROD BEARINGS, CAUSING CONNECTING ROD DAMAGE AND POSSIBLE ENGINE FAILURE. A WORN CONNECTING ROD BEARING WILL PRODUCE A METALLIC, CYCLIC KNOCKING NOISE FROM THE ENGINE AND POSSIBLE ENGINE FAILURE. SAFETY RISK:

ENGINE FAILURE WOULD RESULT IN A VEHICLE STALL, INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH. REMEDY:

REMEDY NOT YET AVAILABLE.
RECALL STATUS:

Recall INCOMPLETE
MANUFACTURER NOTES:

OWNERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NAT'L HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMIN VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236(TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/hyundai-recalls-470-000-sonatas-114318983.html

·
Registered
17,554 Posts
Well ... it seems it's official...

Hyundai recalls 470,000 Sonatas in US; manufacturing problem can cause engine failure.

Recall notice

NHTSA Recall Number:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hmmm,, DOT, NHTSA,, How about straight from Hyundai ??

Date: September 24, 2015

Subject: Recall Campaign 132: 2011-2012 YF Sonata GDI Engine Inspection/Replacement

What You Need to KNOW -

Hyundai will soon announce, but not yet launch, a safety recall involving 2011-2012 model year YF Sonata vehicles with GDI engine (hybrid Sonata vehicles of these model years are not impacted).

During the manufacturing of the engine, excess metal debris may have been generated during factory machining operations, possibly contaminating the connecting rod oiling passages and restricting oil flow to the connecting rod bearings and increasing the potential of premature bearing wear.

A worn connecting rod bearing:

 Will produce a metallic, recurring knocking noise from the engine that increases in frequency as the engine rpm increases.

 May result in illumination of the check engine light in the instrument cluster. (drives knock sensor crazy)

If the vehicle continues to be driven with a worn connecting rod bearing, the bearing can fail, and the vehicle could stall.

We are currently making preparations to implement the Safety Recall including an inspection, and if necessary, replacement of the engine.

A Technical Service Bulletin will be provided when the remedy is available.

In the interim, if a customer comes in with an engine concern, please complete a standard engine diagnostic, starting with plugging in the GDS for the most current information.

Additionally, Hyundai will increase the warranty for the engine “short block” (cylinder block, crankshaft, pistons, and connecting rods) to 10 years/120,000 miles for both original and subsequent owners of 2011 and 2012 Sonatas manufactured at Hyundai Motor Manufacturing Alabama.

Hyundai Motor America will notify all owners of the affected vehicles to visit their local Hyundai dealers for inspection, and repair if necessary. (or dealer find open recall when VIN visit Hyundai service for any form of service or inquiry)

The final remedy has not been developed at this time.

Final Customer Notification letters of the recall campaign are scheduled to be mailed in the fourth quarter of 2015 (interim letters will be mailed starting in October).

What You Need to DO -

 Inform your Dealership Campaign Recall Team of the upcoming campaign.

 Conduct a Resource Assessment to support the campaign; people, time and facility, and adjust accordingly. Remember that you still need to accommodate your normal customers as well as customers from other recent campaigns.

 For any customers that are currently experiencing a concern related to this campaign, please
1. Plug the vehicle into the GDS and continue to diagnose per standard procedures. If you have additional questions, please contact Techline.

2. Provide the customer with a Service Rental Car if any interim engine repairs are needed.

 Please make sure the customer understands that any interim repairs performed will NOT be considered a completion of the recall campaign. Once the recall campaign remedy is announced, the customer will have to return for final inspection, and repair if necessary.

Straight from Hyuundai :wink:

·
Registered
17,554 Posts
Straight from Hyundai Motor -

Date: September 24, 2015

Subject: Recall Campaign 132: 2011-2012 YF Sonata GDI Engine Inspection/Replacement

What You Need to KNOW -

Hyundai will soon announce, but not yet launch, a safety recall involving 2011-2012 model year YF Sonata vehicles with GDI engine (hybrid Sonata vehicles of these model years are not impacted).

701 - 720 of 736 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
About this Discussion
735 Replies
102 Participants
Karaoke Kop
Hyundai Forums
Hyundai Forum is a community for all Hyundai Owners to talk and learn all about their favorite subject: Hyundai cars from the Sonata to the Elantra and even the new Kona!
Full Forum Listing