Hyundai Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
681 - 700 of 736 Posts

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
I would do that in a heartbeat too,but,like you are thinking,"why in the world do they want my motor". Fishy for sure.

·
Senior Menmber
2,134 Posts
Soooo....maybe this has to do with the class action thread that's been going around on here, but that's 67 **** pages long...I'm not reading through all of that!

My wife's car is a 2011 Sonata SE with 62,000 miles on it, garage kept every day, detailed once a month, all maintenance kept to a T... I'm anal like that, my daily driver is a 2004 Yukon with 191000 on it and nothing has ever broken...

Its been documented on here that her car has been at Temecula Hyundai for over a month with a clunk in the front suspension. They've replaced the struts, rack/pinion, steering shaft, strut tower, and now they are replacing the subframe. All under warranty thank god, even though its over 60k I raised my concerns before 60k and they are upholding the warranty. Yesterday they actually had Hyundai engineers come out to look at her car due to the perplexing nature of this sound...this is where it gets weird.

Advisor calls me yesterday, sounding slightly worried and apprehensive, and stated that when the engineers came out, they said they want my motor. They requested it due to "sporadic engine failures" with the 2.4, and since I was the original owner, the motor is broken in and there is nothing wrong with it, they want it and will replace it with a brand new engine. I asked if it had anything to do with the class action lawsuit pending on this motor, and he said it wasn't. Whether I believe that or not, I don't really care. They've been straight with me this whole time anyways.

Still racking my brain on this, I mean, the entire front suspension is brand new now, and with a brand new engine this should be pretty awesome, the car is paid for anyways. I raised concerns about getting a refurb engine, and he assured that it wouldn't be and there will be documentation to go with it. I also asked about car value, its never good to eventually sell a car and have to explain why the motor was replaced. There will be full documentation from Hyundai as to why the motor was replaced, by whom, and where the engine came from.

Bad news is he wants his Genesis back that I've had for 2 weeks. Lame sauce...

Anyone else had Hyundai say they want your motor???
TelesPlayMetal, I agree that this info should be in the *BEWARE* Sonata 2.4L Engine failures/class action lawsuit thread. The reason the thread has so many pages is because of the intense concern of many forum members about the 2011-2012 2.4L engines. Members who have subscribed to that thread may miss your very interesting report about Hyundai requesting your 2.4L engine. Thus, I've decided to merge your thread with that thread.

I sincerely thank you for describing your situation. I suggest you follow the advice of expert Hyundai mechanic sbr 711 on the procedure to ensure that you are receiving a long block.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Hopefully somebody at Hyundai pulling strings for new Long Block.. all we can get is short block of the re-man flavor..

Be very aware and go look at the part in the packaging as delivered to dealer from Hyundai Motor and the part number label on the container (get pics).

Get pic of engine number off the bellhousing rail,, if last 6 places of engine number all digits, it legit.. if last 6 places of engine number have letters typically in the first 2 spots.. it a reman..
What's the difference between Long Block and Short Block?

·
Registered
12 Posts
TelesPlayMetal, I agree that this info should be in the *BEWARE* Sonata 2.4L Engine failures/class action lawsuit thread. The reason the thread has so many pages is because of the intense concern of many forum members about the 2011-2012 2.4L engines. Members who have subscribed to that thread may miss your very interesting report about Hyundai requesting your 2.4L engine. Thus, I've decided to merge your thread with that thread.

I sincerely thank you for describing your situation. I suggest you follow the advice of expert Hyundai mechanic sbr 711 on the procedure to ensure that you are receiving a long block.
During the short Friday evening phone convo with the service advisor, he advised I would be receiving the long block. When I meet with him face to face on Monday to give back the Genesis (tear/sigh) and get back into a rental car, I will do an initial confirmation that this is the case. And remember, my front suspension isn't even fixed yet, still waiting on the subframe to come in!

·
Senior Menmber
2,134 Posts
During the short Friday evening phone convo with the service advisor, he advised I would be receiving the long block. When I meet with him face to face on Monday to give back the Genesis (tear/sigh) and get back into a rental car, I will do an initial confirmation that this is the case. And remember, my front suspension isn't even fixed yet, still waiting on the subframe to come in!
Thanks for the update. So sorry about having to give back the Genesis. :(

·
Registered
17,554 Posts
What's the difference between Long Block and Short Block?

Short block is a block, crank, rods and pistons.. needs head and externals to finish

Long block arrives as basic assembled engine, cam cover to oil pan, missing all the externals that get swapped from original engine, belt, alternator, intake, exhaust

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
I personally would not allow them to pull the car apart (engine) until the new one is onsite and you can inspect per SBR's advice. Also if they replace the motor (even if they are requesting it as a favor) I would ask for Hyundai letterhead extended warranty that will cover anything they touch during this process. If they want it bad it enough it should be a non issue to give you a little piece of mind protection wise.

And them asking for you to donate your motor unsolicited makes me raise a single eyebrow pretty high.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I bought mine used with 49k on the clock. I had the car for two weeks and on a road trip to Indianapolis, I had a cylinder detonation from the number three cylinder. Hyundai refused to replace the motor. Luck;y the dealer that I bought the motor from replaced it for free with a used one with 30k. I paid for half the towing to get the car back home. Ever since I always use synthetic and change my oil every 5k miles.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I personally would not allow them to pull the car apart (engine) until the new one is onsite and you can inspect per SBR's advice. Also if they replace the motor (even if they are requesting it as a favor) I would ask for Hyundai letterhead extended warranty that will cover anything they touch during this process. If they want it bad it enough it should be a non issue to give you a little piece of mind protection wise.

And them asking for you to donate your motor unsolicited makes me raise a single eyebrow pretty high.
As of yet, they have touched nothing engine related, even though the front suspension is in pieces currently. I will be calling first thing in the morning and setting up a meeting with the service manager about all of the concerns you guys have advised me on, plus some other questions I have. I will update after I get more information.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
As of yet, they have touched nothing engine related, even though the front suspension is in pieces currently. I will be calling first thing in the morning and setting up a meeting with the service manager about all of the concerns you guys have advised me on, plus some other questions I have. I will update after I get more information.
Good luck and keep us posted!

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Its not unheard of for R&D. I would have no problem giving the automaker my car/engine/trans/new/rebuilt/whatever, especially if there already were some known failures. I wouldn't even worry about long/short block, or anything else. Its a simple R&R.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Its not unheard of for R&D. I would have no problem giving the automaker my car/engine/trans/new/rebuilt/whatever, especially if there already were some known failures. I wouldn't even worry about long/short block, or anything else. Its a simple R&R.
I disagree. I believe its a tit for tat situation here. If they want it at the very least they can not play word games (truly unknown if they are) and make sure he gets a brand new engine and not a reman.

And the warranty should be a given. Heck this place can't even fix his suspension; now they want his motor?

However that being stated had they left "me" in the Genesis I would be way more forgiving. Moving me to a basic rental...pffft. >:D

·
Registered
12 Posts
I disagree. I believe its a tit for tat situation here. If they want it at the very least they can not play word games (truly unknown if they are) and make sure he gets a brand new engine and not a reman.

And the warranty should be a given. Heck this place can't even fix his suspension; now they want his motor?

However that being stated had they left "me" in the Genesis I would be way more forgiving. Moving me to a basic rental...pffft. >:D
Ha the Genesis is for his Equus ownerS he said, which I get, I'll just have to get a little more proactive with what Enterprise gives me. A few weeks ago it was a POS Jeep Compass...have you ever driven a Jeep Compass? It makes you want to castrate the inventor of the CVT.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Here's an issue with a new engine.

How long has it been rusting/sitting in a warehouse? They are not producing it anymore since as the engine gets upgraded with time, older versions of that said engine are discontinued!

Reman's will typically have all 'known' issues addressed. So, do you want a NEW engine from the warehouse that has been sitting for 5 years with the 'can still fail' ol' habits ,or a REMAN that 'might' have new components or new suppliers that are less likely to fail?

I will always gamble on a rebuilt engine/trans than a 'new'. With the new engine, I will get exactly what I had before including the mis-engineered failures-to-be.

Does Hyundai have a different PN for new or reman?

·
Registered
4,469 Posts

How long has it been rusting/sitting in a warehouse? They are not producing it anymore since as the engine gets upgraded with time, older versions of that said engine are discontinued!

Reman's will typically have all 'known' issues addressed. So, do you want a NEW engine from the warehouse that has been sitting for 5 years with the 'can still fail' ol' habits ,or a REMAN that 'might' have new components or new suppliers that are less likely to fail?

I will always gamble on a rebuilt engine/trans than a 'new'. With the new engine, I will get exactly what I had before including the mis-engineered failures-to-be.

Does Hyundai have a different PN for new or reman?
Some understood points. Give me a warranty and it would ease the mind for sure.

SBR states that original (new) is all numbers. The reman has some alpha in the back end of the part number.

·
Registered
17,554 Posts
Get pic of part number tag on container...

On the block, at radiator side of engine, on the bellhousing rail is a serial number, G4KH-xxxxxx, get that full serial number

·
Registered
274 Posts

I will always gamble on a rebuilt engine/trans than a 'new'. With the new engine, I will get exactly what I had before including the mis-engineered failures-to-be....
Good points that I must remember! Sometimes "new", when it is really NOS (New Old Stock), is not so desirable, after all.

·
Registered
605 Posts

Most engine builders, that I know would agree with you. And so do I.

The motor in my Ranger was replaced with a Turbo Motor in 1998. The Esslinger block was magnafluxed and pressure tested before machining. The main bearing bores were align honed, and the deck was squared to ensure the main bore location and the crankshaft center line are parallel to the deck. Cylinder bores were honed with deck plates installed.

I doubt that any new block goes through this rigorous a procedure before building.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Good luck and keep us posted!
Engine swap completed, took only two days. It is a long block, all numbers match and are correct per information on here, I have pictures and complete video of the entire job. Easy as pie.

On a second note, my suspension is finally fixed as well. What started as a clunk over bumps led to (as I have mentioned on here already) the front struts replaced, then rack/pinion, then steering shaft, then strut tower, and finally the subframe, for a total cost of just under $4,700 (if I had to pay). Guess what it was? A malfunctioning brake pad. A month in the shop, all that work, for the most expensive (to them) warrantied brake job I've ever had!

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
Engine swap completed, took only two days. It is a long block, all numbers match and are correct per information on here, I have pictures and complete video of the entire job. Easy as pie.

On a second note, my suspension is finally fixed as well. What started as a clunk over bumps led to (as I have mentioned on here already) the front struts replaced, then rack/pinion, then steering shaft, then strut tower, and finally the subframe, for a total cost of just under $4,700 (if I had to pay). Guess what it was? A malfunctioning brake pad. A month in the shop, all that work, for the most expensive (to them) warrantied brake job I've ever had!
Most of the front end of your car is new! :)

They actually let you video that process??

681 - 700 of 736 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.