Hyundai Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 736 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Hey everyone... It's been a while since I've posted last, and it's unfortunate that these circumstances bring me back...

I was driving our '11 Sonata Limited 2.4 today with wife and infant son... While merging onto a main road, I accelerated to switch lanes without slowing traffic and noticed the car felt oddly underpowered.. I kept my foot on the gas, and a substantial rattle emerged from under the hood so I let off and drove steady on... We made it to our destination and I popped the hood to find oil soaked into the valve cover and head... I checked the oil and the stick was still wet, but since the car was just running I'm not sure the exact level...

Unfortunately, I recognize the noise it made on the road, and I'm 99% certain it spun a rod bearing... In other words, the engine is shot. 63,362 miles, synthetic oil changes every 4k-5k miles, dealer maintained...

I used Hyundai Assurance to get the car towed to the dealer - nothing they could do on a Sunday, so the tow truck dropped it for the morning...

When I got home, I started researching... and it looks like we're not alone...

2011:
2011 Hyundai Sonata engine problems & complaints | CarComplaints.com

2012:
16 Complaints: 2012 Hyundai Sonata Engine Problems

2013 (no engine seizes yet, but a few warning signs):
2013 Hyundai Sonata engine problems & complaints | CarComplaints.com

2014:
2014 Hyundai Sonata engine problems & complaints | CarComplaints.com

The worst part is that the majority of these claims state Hyundai has rejected warranty repair due to sludge or other excuses... I read that on one warranty they did honor they replaced the engine with a rebuilt one with unknown original miles... Pretty ridiculous...

We have the full warranty, and the dealer performs all our services, so hopefully we won't have any issues there... but this just ain't right...

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I've lost all confidence in Hyundai's quality. They are not same has a Honda or Nissan.

They mass produce these cars as cheaply as possible.

You really do get what you pay for.

Good luck to you.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm with you... We dealt with the starter arm breaking as well a few months ago... I'm displeased right now, to say the least...

Regarding your statement about 'getting what you pay for', though - $25K (~$31K MSRP) should, and can easily get you a whole lot better than these issues...

·
Registered
475 Posts
Ouch, hope they take care of the problem. I have not had any issues whatsoever with mine and I bought mine used with about 24,000 miles on it back in 2012. It currently has a lil over 55,500. It has not been dealer maintained since I've had it. Maybe previous owner but not me. I've taken it to BrakeMasters for oil changes. Only time it's been at dealer was for any recalls and just recently, an all 4 wheel alignment. Best of luck to you..

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
The local service manager said this is not unheard of. He attributed it to sludge build-up in the engine. Have you changed the oil regularly? I don't know for sure, but as others have said, this is not unheard of. Good luck!!

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
I have a 2012 SE turbo with 27K miles on the clock. So far so good! What I have always done is have the dealer change the oil that way it is all in their system as far as maintenance is concerned. Usually get coupons for less than $ 30.00.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The local service manager said this is not unheard of. He attributed it to sludge build-up in the engine. Have you changed the oil regularly? I don't know for sure, but as others have said, this is not unheard of. Good luck!!
Yes, dealer maintained - synthetic changes every 4k-5k miles. We take it to the dealer we purchased new from, so we have unlimited lifetime free oil changes and state inspections. I pay the difference for synthetic, or bring in my own for them to use.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Yes, dealer maintained - synthetic changes every 4k-5k miles. We take it to the dealer we purchased new from, so we have unlimited lifetime free oil changes and state inspections. I pay the difference for synthetic, or bring in my own for them to use.
I don't want to sound cynical, and that is not my intention. But as someone used to say "I feel your pain."

Appears that you did everything you should have done. Now I haven't looked at the warranty recently. Is this out of warranty being over 60,000 miles? I'm not clear on that. If it is, I want to check with the local dealer as I have a very good working relationship with them and can get some straight talk.

I wasn't aware that Hyundai had a lot of engine problems but perhaps I was mistaken. I've never had any myself although I seldom keep a car beyond the warranty and usually trade or sell them long before the warranty runs out.

Let us know how this turns out and I'll do some inquiries.

This is from their website -- 10 year or 100,000 miles if I read it correctly.

"Covers repair or replacement of powertrain components (i.e., selected engine and transmission/transaxle components), originally manufactured or installed by Hyundai that are defective in material or factory workmanship, under normal use and maintenance. Coverage applies to original owner only, effective with 2004 model year and newer model-year vehicles. On 1999-2003 model years, coverage applies to original owner and immediate family members (i.e., wife, husband, daughter, son, stepdaughter, stepson)."

Appears this should be covered under warranty. I wouldn't be concerned about a slightly used engine, personally. I think the neighbor has a 2009 model and it has about 160,000 miles and still hums along. LKQ has warehouses of engines taken out of wrecked vehicles. I'm sure there are other dismantlers that do as well. but I'm guessing they will put a new short block in.

If it is any consolation, my brother had an engine go out on his Ford pickup. Best I can figure is that the wrong size bearings were put in because the engine was known for its durability. In that case I believe just the crankshaft was replaced. The thing is that if your engine was severely out of oil then it is possible that camshaft bearings and the like would also be damaged. Make that a "long" block then.

"Long block is an automotive term for an engine sub-assembly that consists of the assembled block, crankshaft, cylinder head, camshaft (usually), valve train, oil pan, and valve covers."

https://www.google.com/search?q=what+is+an+engine+long+block&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I don't want to sound cynical, and that is not my intention. But as someone used to say "I feel your pain."

Appears that you did everything you should have done. Now I haven't looked at the warranty recently. Is this out of warranty being over 60,000 miles? I'm not clear on that. If it is, I want to check with the local dealer as I have a very good working relationship with them and can get some straight talk.

I wasn't aware that Hyundai had a lot of engine problems but perhaps I was mistaken. I've never had any myself although I seldom keep a car beyond the warranty and usually trade or sell them long before the warranty runs out.

Let us know how this turns out and I'll do some inquiries.

This is from their website -- 10 year or 100,000 miles if I read it correctly.

"Covers repair or replacement of powertrain components (i.e., selected engine and transmission/transaxle components), originally manufactured or installed by Hyundai that are defective in material or factory workmanship, under normal use and maintenance. Coverage applies to original owner only, effective with 2004 model year and newer model-year vehicles. On 1999-2003 model years, coverage applies to original owner and immediate family members (i.e., wife, husband, daughter, son, stepdaughter, stepson)."

Appears this should be covered under warranty. I wouldn't be concerned about a slightly used engine, personally. I think the neighbor has a 2009 model and it has about 160,000 miles and still hums along. LKQ has warehouses of engines taken out of wrecked vehicles. I'm sure there are other dismantlers that do as well. but I'm guessing they will put a new short block in.

If it is any consolation, my brother had an engine go out on his Ford pickup. Best I can figure is that the wrong size bearings were put in because the engine was known for its durability. In that case I believe just the crankshaft was replaced. The thing is that if your engine was severely out of oil then it is possible that camshaft bearings and the like would also be damaged. Make that a "long" block then.

"Long block is an automotive term for an engine sub-assembly that consists of the assembled block, crankshaft, cylinder head, camshaft (usually), valve train, oil pan, and valve covers."

https://www.google.com/search?q=what+is+an+engine+long+block&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
I do have the extended 10yr/100K warranty, and the dealership said it's pretty 'cut and dry' whether or not it'll be covered - if it's engine defect it's covered, if it's user negligence it's not. The problem is that in many complaints I've read there seems to be two recurring themes:

#1 Many of the cars with issue are either losing oil or building sludge prematurely.

#2 Many of the owners have stated that Hyundai shifted the blame back onto them stating negligence...

Now, most of the owners stating Hyundai pushed the blame back onto them either had their services performed elsewhere or did them themselves... The one I read with the owner having all services performed at the dealer had his warranty honored, but received a rebuilt engine...

Keep in mind, your neighbor's 2009 had a different engine... the 2011 began using the 2.4L GDI. If this engine with 63K miles has issue (purchased new, broken in and maintained properly), I'm weary about a rebuild... Is it a rebuilt engine that this happened to? If so, it has a different bore / compression... Otherwise, what happened that caused it to have to be rebuilt? Also, rebuilt engines usually aren't as durable as original factory built... whether due to workmanship or materials used.

I'm waiting to hear back from our dealer (Fairfax Hyundai in VA) - we'll see how it turns out... I'll keep you all posted.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
I do have the extended 10yr/100K warranty, and the dealership said it's pretty 'cut and dry' whether or not it'll be covered - if it's engine defect it's covered, if it's user negligence it's not. The problem is that in many complaints I've read there seems to be two recurring themes:

#1 Many of the cars with issue are either losing oil or building sludge prematurely.

#2 Many of the owners have stated that Hyundai shifted the blame back onto them stating negligence...

Now, most of the owners stating Hyundai pushed the blame back onto them either had their services performed elsewhere or did them themselves... The one I read with the owner having all services performed at the dealer had his warranty honored, but received a rebuilt engine...

Keep in mind, your neighbor's 2009 had a different engine... the 2011 began using the 2.4L GDI. If this engine with 63K miles has issue (purchased new, broken in and maintained properly), I'm weary about a rebuild... Is it a rebuilt engine that this happened to? If so, it has a different bore / compression... Otherwise, what happened that caused it to have to be rebuilt? Also, rebuilt engines usually aren't as durable as original factory built... whether due to workmanship or materials used.

I'm waiting to hear back from our dealer (Fairfax Hyundai in VA) - we'll see how it turns out... I'll keep you all posted.
Again, I need to check with the local dealer to get information whether they actually rebuild the engines or as the previous poster noted, farmed out to a local rebuilder.

My personal opinion, for what it may be worth, is that it would be more effective to put in a salvage engine with low mileage. If you could get an engine with say less than 20,000 miles, it comes complete with everything (well most everything) and it is simply a bolt in operation.

In your case, the engine will have to have a complete rebuild, all bearings, rings, and anything that could conceivably be worn by the lack of proper engine oiling.

If I were Hyundai, I would just ship a long block and have the dealer install it and send the old engine to Hyundai for a strip down to find out why it happened.

I was told by the service manager of one of the turbos that self destructed with a rod through the side of the engine block at only 3,000 miles. I think I would rather have that than an engine that went without oil for any period of time. Just my personal $0.02.

This is interesting:

https://www.hyundaiusa.com/about-hyundai/news/Corporate_newengine-20091120.aspx

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
Again, I need to check with the local dealer to get information whether they actually rebuild the engines or as the previous poster noted, farmed out to a local rebuilder.

My personal opinion, for what it may be worth, is that it would be more effective to put in a salvage engine with low mileage. If you could get an engine with say less than 20,000 miles, it comes complete with everything (well most everything) and it is simply a bolt in operation.

In your case, the engine will have to have a complete rebuild, all bearings, rings, and anything that could conceivably be worn by the lack of proper engine oiling.

If I were Hyundai, I would just ship a long block and have the dealer install it and send the old engine to Hyundai for a strip down to find out why it happened.

I was told by the service manager of one of the turbos that self destructed with a rod through the side of the engine block at only 3,000 miles. I think I would rather have that than an engine that went without oil for any period of time. Just my personal $0.02.

This is interesting:

https://www.hyundaiusa.com/about-hyundai/news/Corporate_newengine-20091120.aspx
My dealer did exactly that.My motor had a rod knock at 6500'ish miles. Dealer pulled motor ,ordered a longblock from Hyndai,done in 7-10 days.

Service adviser told me that they cannot take a motorapart to inspect.It was shipped to Hyndai.God knows what they did and/or found.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Not trying to poo poo the OP or otherwise discredit anything that has been said here. I do not doubt there have been some issues with the 2.4GDI and issues with some dealers that want to bust chops over warranty work. I have one of those types of Hyundai dealers 5 miles from my house. That is why I purchased my Sonata 45 miles away instead.

With that said, before I buy any car, like many of you I would surmise, I google the car, lurk associated forums and try to find out any recurring problems that those that have gone before me have experienced. I have always found posts about engine issues with every car I have researched. You know guys, I am of the opinion that all this is mostly the luck of the draw. Who knows right? Slightly out of spec parts that somehow made it through QC, maybe an engine builder having a bad day or a bad night before. :surprise: Who knows?

I am no lawyer, I worked for a living, but the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975 affords us many protections against these dealers who find a thimble of sludge and want to stiff you for the repairs.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Strangely the Kia Optima doesn't seem to have all those complaints, despite using the same exact engine.

2011 Kia Optima engine problems & complaints | CarComplaints.com

Also, in my Consumer Reports book the Sonata gets a full red circle (very good) in the 'engine-major' category. I think the turbo model scores bad in the 'engine-minor' category.

·
Registered
3,918 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Assuming it's warranty, what you get depends. Short block is the first option, providing nod irreparable damage to the cylinder head is found. Otherwise it's a long block. Long blocks are typically new, whereas short blocks are of the reman'd variety.

No quality issues seen with the reman motors very that's all done/overseen by Hyundai.

Ill cross my fingers for ya but if you've done your work there, I'd bet you have good odds of it being warrantied.

·
Registered
564 Posts
My 2011 2.4L Sonata, now with 66,500 miles, is burning oil at the rate of 1 quart every 2-3 weeks. I had the oil changed 3,500 miles ago at the dealer and have already added 3 quarts since then. Under heavy acceleration, there is a visible smoke cloud coming out of the exhaust.

This is a vehicle that has been serviced at the dealer every 5,000 miles since I purchased it new. The transmission is also starting to act up regularly. Very disconcerting for a regularly maintained car with "normal" mileage for its age (5 years old in May, so ~14,000 miles annually.)

1 - 20 of 736 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.