Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've done some research and found numerous places claiming that the Beta 1 and Beta 2 (2.0L) has a life expectancy of about 300,000km (~186,000mi).

While some sources such as: G4GR - двигатель Хендай 1.6 литра | Otoba.ru claims even less at 250,000km (155,000mi).

Finally a screenshot from Wikipedia:

My Beta 1 has currently 177,xxx miles and I keep up well with maintenance and I've always been told/heard.that these 4-cylinder were very reliable. But I guess everybody has a different perspective of reliability...

Attachments

·
Registered
456 Posts
There are some here with far more than that. I’m at 189,000 and the engine is running fine. It does burn oil and if I have the time I might do a partial rebuild (replace piston rings and rod and crank bearings), but it’s been reliable.

·
Registered
139 Posts
My '01 5sp will burn/leak a quart about every 1500 miles... it burns a little but leaks a little too. My delivery job will have it idling for an extra 5 minutes, 7 times a night, but it's on schedule to top over 400,000 miles (640,000kmn) before February 14th. Original engine/transmission.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Do not tell my 2003 engine about this "expectancy", please. It work pretty well, do not burn any oil, still have original catalytic converter and have more than 212 thousand miles on the odometer :) My buddy have 2007 Elantra (same engine) with more than 260 000 miles on it (but his car burn some oil, to be honest). Proper and regular maintenance with quality oils, filters, belts etc. - and your engine would last much longer than that.

·
Registered
2016 Elantra GT and 2011 Elantra Touring
790 Posts
I have a 2011 with 145,000 miles. It hasn't had an easy life and I can't really see it going much past 200,000. With reasonable maintenance and an easy driver I can see them exceeding 300,000 miles.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@MR1Kingsbury not bad. And really 1500 isn't bad. Just a quart between oil changes. Just gotta keep up with it.

@Oleg S. I am beginning to think that the expectancy is based off of normal maintenance under normal conditions before the engine starts becoming less efficient (or a large issue occurs).
Let's be honest most of us on here care for our cars better than most. And from what i have seen (from Facebook groups) that this expectancy seems to be fairly accurate.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
There are some here with far more than that. I’m at 189,000 and the engine is running fine. It does burn oil and if I have the time I might do a partial rebuild (replace piston rings and rod and crank bearings), but it’s been reliable.
My three Hyundai’s have 2.4 L port injected engines. The 2010 Santa Fe with 120,000 miles and 2010 Tucson with 74,000 miles just got an oil change with 1 qt of Marvel Mystery oil.

Result of driving with 1 qt Marvel Mystery oil, 500 miles prior to engine oil/filter change. (These are subjective observations, wife and girls told me to clean my ear, and I hearing things.)

1). Less valve noise
2). Remove plugs, bore-scoped, less or no carbon build up.
3) Open oil fill plug, engine looks very clean aluminum, no sludge or carbon.
4). Remove vacuum line, bore-scoped intake, very clean, very little or no carbon on intake valves.
5). Changed to latest API SP / ILSAC 6A 5W-30 engine oil, Walmart SuperTech $15 and Costco Kirkland. $13 for 5 qts.
5). Compression test 178-179 psi before, 183-185 psi after, gained 5 psi in compression, most likely freed piston rings.

·
Registered
2002 Hyundai Elantra GLS
7 Posts
I'm glad got some more mileage to look forward too. My elantra is a 2002 GLS auto and its is just rolled over on 176,200 miles and until recently we havent done pretty much anything maintenance wise to it other than oil changes, filters and every once in a while brake pads. So far this thing has been a trooper being left in a field for 1.5 years because the shift solenoids went out. Replaced the solenoids and it drove from Tennessee to Florida and has been driving around town since July.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
@RAYMUND155 lol how does any of that relate to the thread?
I should include 2013-2014 Hyundai Elantra got 1 million miles on original engine/transmission. She currently have over 1.1 million miles on her Elantra. Please go watch 1 million mile Hyundai on YouTube, Hyundai did not believe her, until they discovered it was serviced by a Hyundai dealership and they verified it was original engine transmission. That Dealership service many “Hot-Shot Drivers” who put more than 500,000 miles on their Hyundais. That Hyundai dealership also offer 20 yrs/200,000 mile drive train warranty.

My post is meaning full because maintenance is critical to engine/transmission longevity. The new engine oil API SP / ILSAC 6A is a game-changer. Using Top-Tier gas (with detergent) and following Hyundai/Kia service bulletin to use Chevron Techron with full tank of gas at oil/filter change to keep fuel pump, regulator and injectors clean and reduce carbon/sludge build-up, increase longevity.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I'm glad got some more mileage to look forward too. My elantra is a 2002 GLS auto and its is just rolled over on 176,200 miles and until recently we havent done pretty much anything maintenance wise to it other than oil changes, filters and every once in a while brake pads. So far this thing has been a trooper being left in a field for 1.5 years because the shift solenoids went out. Replaced the solenoids and it drove from Tennessee to Florida and has been driving around town since July.
it IS time to replace the timing belt... Normally a 60,000 mile maintenance item, if it fails while the engine is running it will be VERY costly to repair... and in fact will total a car over 12 years old.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I watched that vid.Aint
I should include 2013-2014 Hyundai Elantra got 1 million miles on original engine/transmission. She currently have over 1.1 million miles on her Elantra. Please go watch 1 million mile Hyundai on YouTube, Hyundai did not believe her, until they discovered it was serviced by a Hyundai dealership and they verified it was original engine transmission. That Dealership service many “Hot-Shot Drivers” who put more than 500,000 miles on their Hyundais. That Hyundai dealership also offer 20 yrs/200,000 mile drive train warranty.

My post is meaning full because maintenance is critical to engine/transmission longevity. The new engine oil API SP / ILSAC 6A is a game-changer. Using Top-Tier gas (with detergent) and following Hyundai/Kia service bulletin to use Chevron Techron with full tank of gas at oil/filter change to keep fuel pump, regulator and injectors clean and reduce carbon/sludge build-up, increase longevity.
I saw tha vid... Aint no way a conscious person can drive a million in 5 years... Not one person. Maybe a team...of 3
She would have had to drive 13 hours every single day (not legal) AND avg 43 mph while driving, stopping, delivering, fueling up, maintenance cycles, etc.... Just not a believable story. More likely parked on floor lift every night and run a tank of fuel through it while she slept. 556 miles per day, EVERY day for 5 years... NOT>.. Not by herself.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Good to know that I'm not alone. I also was skeptical about this "million in 5 year". 24/7 delivery vehicle with different drivers? Maybe... Personal vehicle with single driver(ever for delivery work)? No way.... Math is pretty simple.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I watched that vid.Aint

I saw tha vid... Aint no way a conscious person can drive a million in 5 years... Not one person. Maybe a team...of 3
She would have had to drive 13 hours every single day (not legal) AND avg 43 mph while driving, stopping, delivering, fueling up, maintenance cycles, etc.... Just not a believable story. More likely parked on floor lift every night and run a tank of fuel through it while she slept. 556 miles per day, EVERY day for 5 years... NOT>.. Not by herself.
The dealership that maintained her car also have several other vehicles over 300K-700K.

The freeway speed is 70mph. 1million / (5yrs x 300 days) = 666 miles/day. 10-11 hours per 24 hours. Hot Shot drivers drive at night and sleep during rush hours. Assume 2-3 hours to drive home and 2-3 hours for breaks. Very possible to get those miles. Just look at interstate truck drivers, They get 750K - 1 million miles in 5 yrs all the time. She’s not an urban driver.

My neighbor has 300K miles in 2015 Sonata and 200K miles on 2017 on engine recalls. He only put 50K-60K per year.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Apparently it's true.

For once ol' Ray isn't spewing utter nonsense.
The NEW API SP / ILSAC GF6A, is a game changer if the 7 news tests results suggest,

Previous oils have lost 9.5%-12.6% in ASTM Volitility test % loss 1 hr @ 250C. In a 5 qt engine that’s 1/2 qt in 1 hr at 250C. (Source PQIA Tested Oil Data), much higher Zinc caused O2 sensor shorting and Cat getting fouled. These lead to LSPI - Low Speed Pre-Ignition (detonation).

1 - 20 of 31 Posts