Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sure this will be a debatable topic but what is the best way to breakin new engines? I know that the Sonata's User manual says that we need to run the engine at variable speeds and never cross 4000rpm. I checked other postings online and here is one I found from motoman: http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

How did you breakin your engine?

·
Registered
550 Posts
If you accept that this "motorcycle" break in procedure has value, it is still done just once. Within the first 50 miles of the engine's life, you hit the gas hard as explained in the article to press the rings into place. After those 30 seconds are over, drive softly as instructed in your owner's manual.

·
Registered
4 Posts
what about other people who dont have the OEM nav and have less than 25 posts on the forum? does this mean that I should start walking around the forums and start threadcrapping?

·
Registered
650 Posts
QUOTE (ssmuff @ Aug 29 2010, 10:12 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=352739
Drive like you normally do.

That's what I heard from a lot of people. Break it in like you'd drive it on a normal bases. Not gonna drive the car like a grandma for a few months then turn into a NASCAR driver. The car needs to know how you drive on a normal bases and not play around with it, I suppose

And when exactly is the new engine considered broken in? I know there's a lot of debate about the certain mileage aswel.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Drive it normally. Do you break in your lawn mower or weed whacker??? check engine oil frequently and change when you feel comfortable. some change within 1000 miles, I will be changing mine at 2000 miles then every 3000 after that.. I've never had an engine issue.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So oil change at 1000 - 2000 miles is fine for the first time? Again, manual says 3500 miles, right?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Anyone know if Hyundai uses any "special" break-in oil? I'm leaning towards a 1,000 mile oil change........

·
Registered
95 Posts
Most of the piston ring seatings are done in the factory before the engines are put into cars. Its a series of fairly intensive cycles of loading and cooling with flywheel dyno machines. Engines are 75% "broken in" by the time they arrive on a dealer's lot. Over the next 1000 miles, the last of the "breaking in" occurs. The preferred way is have varying loads under 4Krpm and many heating/cooling cycles during this period. Too little load or too much load will cause glazing from the oil. Some people prefer oil change at 1K to get the last of the metal dust and some soot out. After you hit 3-4K, you can switch from regular oil to synthetic oil since the piston rings should be fully seated.

Oil changes every 5-10K with synthetics or 3-6K with regular oil depending on if you do city or highway. I change oil based on how much gas I use, every 20 gas ups, I get my oil changed as I drive mostly highway. I think it's a better indicator of amount of solute in the oil.

QUOTE (zaqxsw @ Aug 29 2010, 08:33 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=352848
Anyone know if Hyundai uses any "special" break-in oil? I'm leaning towards a 1,000 mile oil change........
Slick with premium mineral oil because it has higher viscosity. Don't do synthetic until 4-5K+.

·
Registered
5 Posts
QUOTE (11sonatase @ Aug 29 2010, 07:16 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=352843
So oil change at 1000 - 2000 miles is fine for the first time? Again, manual says 3500 miles, right?
Actually, the manual says for normal driving you should change it every 7500 miles or 6 months. If you fall under the severe driving category then it recommends every 3750 miles or 3 months. I think anything earlier than that is purely personal preference.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
For break in, the manual recommends keeping the car between 2K and 4K RPM for the first 600 miles with no hard acceleration and no long periods of holding the same RPM.

I changes out my oil at 848 miles and I have not read anywhere that there is any particular oil (IE: High Moly) put in the car for break in.

Section 1-5 of the Manual:

Originally posted by Hyundai Sonata 2001 Users Manual
No special break-in period is needed. By
following a few simple precautions for the
first 600 miles (1,000 km) you may add to
the performance, economy and life of
your vehicle.
• Do not race the engine.
• While driving, keep your engine speed
(rpm, or revolutions per minute)
between 2,000 rpm and 4,000 rpm.
• Do not maintain a single speed for long
periods of time, either fast or slow.
Varying engine speed is needed to
properly break-in the engine.
• Avoid hard stops, except in emergencies,
to allow the brakes to seat properly.
• Don't let the engine idle longer than 3
minutes at one time.
• Don't tow a trailer during the first 1,200
miles (2,000 km) of operation.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
QUOTE (dsx724 @ Aug 29 2010, 09:12 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=352852
Oil changes every 5-10K with synthetics or 3-6K with regular oil depending on if you do city or highway. I change oil based on how much gas I use, every 20 gas ups, I get my oil changed as I drive mostly highway. I think it's a better indicator of amount of solute in the oil.
Please be aware that if you follow this advice you are asking for problem from the dealer. Make sure while in warranty that you follow the recommended oil change policies that apply to your car to avoid conflict in the event you need warranty service. Check out section 7-6 of your users manual to make sure what you need to do with your vehicle prior to extended oil changes as the longest I see you are "allowed" to do is 7500 under normal operation and 3750 for severe operation. Severe use recommendation is on page 7-17.

·
Registered
854 Posts
The best way would be the way the manufacturer recommends imo.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Those old break-in procedures were born in the 1950's and 60's. Engine making was primitive by today's standards. They
made the engines tight to allow for poor materials and irregular machining. They roughed out the engine, and the driver
"finished" it by driving a certain way for 3-5K miles. Oil was poor in those days too.

Unless you're a very aggressive driver, normal driving is just fine for break in. I think that's what all the manuals are
saying. It probably wouldn't hurt anything, but it's not a good idea to lock in the cruise at 75mph without backing off the
throttle occasionally, or revving the engine above 3-4K repeatedly, but other than that, just drive.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I had the oil changed just shy of 3,000 miles. The dealer wants me in every 3,000 miles and I will try my best. Heck they are free for now.

·
Registered
123 Posts
if i recall, i was pretty "easy" on the car for the first 500 miles or so. no major "gunning" nor driving 5mph. just "normal. the book said what to do, and i mean honestly, i trust the guys who built my car to know how to "break it in" over some forum junkies :p. seriously though. most of the folks on here know a thing or two. and that also carries some bias towards previously owned vehicles, ownership history and the like.

i think with the equipment used today, you'd have to be pretty hard on a car to ruin it right off the bat.

as for oil changes... my dealer said 3k at first, then 3-5k after that. that's my plan.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts