Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Partially over my paranoia regarding accidental unattended trunk opening by too sensitive remote button. Using the silicone cover on the remote and cautiously optimistic it provides enough protection, so I’ve reinserted the trunks fuse and keeping an eye on things.

But had an idea about attaching a cable or bungee cord to the inside of the trunk lid so that even if the trunk opened, it would only open an inch or two vs gaping wide open to catch gallons of water in the event of a thunderstorm.

Except there IS nothing on the inside of the trunk lid to attach anything to. Maybe under the carpet liner on it, but I’d rather not disturb that.

So ...interested in knowing if anyone has successfully attached something there, without any tools or drilling and how you did it.

Thanks.

·
22,788 Posts
I’ve never given that a thought. Although I can understand why you did.

In fact, my neighbor texted me yesterday to say my trunk was open. Even with its fob condom, I see that it happens. I had a couple of items rattling around in my pocket where the fob had taken up residency. Must have occurred when I sat down and one of these items were in the right place at the right time. “POP!”

There have been a couple other instances and the car in the garage. I came out to find the trunk open.

So....I’m at a loss. I’m not someone that would salivate at the proposition of opening the fob and seeing if I could disable that button. Small piece in tape between the contacts. Be nice if Hyundai allowed us to disable that feature via the user menus on the dash.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually, I like the idea of opening the remote and using a piece of paper to disable the trunk button. Only problem is I would be afraid if disturbing something else while in there. Although... maybe when it’s time to replace the battery and the remote’s innards are exposed anyway,I may try it.

Definitely don’t want to permanently disable it. Am kind of a control freak and always want the option to undo even my own changes... or especially those! ?

Did come up with a temporary fix a couple days ago. Wrapped one if the bungee cords around one of the trunk’s arms (or whatever you call the part that moves in and out from the car’s body when you open and close the trunk), and wrapped the other end of it around a 5 lb dumbbell.

After some experimentation found a setup which does reduce the degree to which the trunk opens. It’s not ideal, cause before closing the trunk I have to push the cord as close as possible to the end of the “arm” that’s nearest the trunk lid, and the trunk is still opening about 3 or 4 inches. But that’s better than gaping all the way open, and with some trial and error, maybe I can get it to only open about an inch.

Is still really ridiculous that the button only requires a 1 second push and that a fix is even necessary. But at least I feel like I’m on my way to a solution.

·
22,788 Posts
@Elantra2: Watched a YouTube video on opening the fob for battery replacement. Opening is pretty straightforward as is the battery replacement. What I could not see very clearly was the makeup of the actuator buttons for the various fob functions.

So...maybe tomorrow or Wednesday I may give it a go and see for myself. If I can place a tiny piece of blue painter’s tape between the button and the contact point, I can block the electrical flow.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok. I’m very interested in how it goes.

In the meantime, am still experimenting with different methods of using a 5lb dumbbell to keep the trunk from opening all the way when unattended.

A rubber cord worked, but found some kind of grease on it. Seems the rubber cord wrapped around the trunk’s arm was rubbing against the insulation, so that “solution” has been suspended. Going to try some string or twine next.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts