Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend, I spent about 2.5 hours fully detailing Charlotte and boy was I impressed with the outcome!

Meguiars Shampoo and Conditioner + Mothers Clay Bar Kit + Sanctiond Tire Glaze Gel + NXT Tech Wax 2.0.

Now I know members here such as Rich and Gamer rave about Autoglym wax and I'm sure that wax is top quality but I became such a big fan of NXT Tech Wax! The white finish was literally shining and the black roof and bumper had such a deep glossy reflection and shine!

This picture does not even do it justice!

I will definitely give AutoGlym a try in the future as I trust Rich and Gamer but for now, I'm completely satisfied with NXT! Try it and you'll be amazed!

·
22,788 Posts
Hey, my friend! I think it looks fantastic. Sure Gamer would agree 100%. It's not so much "what" you use as it is that you put your "heart & soul" into the care of your ride. That, in itself, speaks volumes!

The one deciding factor for me (can't speak for Gamer and others) as to why I use AutoGlym is the intervals I get between having to do the "heart & soul" routine. For me, it's a quick shampoo & spray most of the time, and "Gone."

You keep doing what you're doing. The results speak for themselves! :thumbsup:

Did I mention the car looks better than "showroom awesome?"

·
Banned
998 Posts
I agree that NXT is a great synthetic wax.

I might provide the best gloss I ever seen, BUT it does not last.
There was a time when I was waxing my car on regular basis.
Well, NXT did not last long. Actually, one car wash and it was gone.

Then I tried NuFinish. I found it better to buff as you could see it better than NXT. NXT would create a haze that is poorly seen, especially on white or silver paint. NuFinish was very distinctive white haze. And actually, easier to polish.
On the top of that - it did not matter if it was sunny or not. NXT says - do not apply in sun... not that I used to, but I tried once.

The downside of NuFinish was its smell (it did not bother me, but some complained) and it would not give so good gloss. Sure, it was glossy, but a little less.

However, what was most important - after 6 months and no car wash at all, it was still providing superior protection (it was side to side comparison of NXT and NuFinish).

application:
Meguiar vs Nu Finish test. Wax and all other polishing problems... any advice? - Page 5 - Kia Forum

results:
Meguiar vs Nu Finish test. Wax and all other polishing problems... any advice? - Page 6 - Kia Forum

after few months, NuFinish

after few months, NXT

The the best of it is that NuFinish is about 30% of NXT price...(per mL)

·
22,788 Posts
Ghernandex, Consider trying Meguiar's Ultimate Wash & Wax next time you replace your current supply. Doesn't harm your wax coating and sheets the water off. I've used the one in your picture, and it's good, but I prefer the bottle of yellow-colored shampoo. About $3 more at most stores. Worth it, IMO. Great suds, gentle, and really keeps a great looking car the way you intended for it to look.

Here's the part I like: I can just hose off Ingrid during a weekday, and drive away looking like I just detailed her.

·
6,836 Posts
IDK, I've heard some really good things about NuFinish. Honestly, I'm just using Meguiar's now (the stuff in the red can, I'm not looking at it right ATM), but I actually don't like it, so I'm going to switch the next time I buy wax.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
I just can't see something created in the 70's (NuFinish) being better than more current technologies :confused:
It's not about being better than the latest thing. It's about being good enough for the average person, while undercutting the price. It's also about simplicity and familiarity, in an industry run by hucksters who love making things complicated.

For under ten bucks a bottle you get a familiar product that you know will be easy to apply, will make your car look as good as any photo you'll see on the internet, and will bead water for a whole year. That's all most people want.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ghernandex, Consider trying Meguiar's Ultimate Wash & Wax next time you replace your current supply. Doesn't harm your wax coating and sheets the water off. I've used the one in your picture, and it's good, but I prefer the bottle of yellow-colored shampoo. About $3 more at most stores. Worth it, IMO. Great suds, gentle, and really keeps a great looking car the way you intended for it to look.

Here's the part I like: I can just hose off Ingrid during a weekday, and drive away looking like I just detailed her.
Thanks Rich! In really thinking about your suggestion of using the wash and wax shampoo. How long does that stuff last? Also, you mentioned you hose off Ingrid during the week and you drive off. Well doesn't that leave watermarks?

Lastly, with AutoGlym, how often do you wax then?

PLP, really good information there sir! I'm just concerned with NU Finish because based on what I read, it leaves a white residue on the trimming of the car.

·
Banned
998 Posts
Collinite 845
what a price...

I just can't see something created in the 70's (NuFinish) being better than more current technologies :confused:
I did not say it is better in the whole line.
It sticks longer, it is applied easier, it buffs same way or even easier as it dries quicker... but it does not have the shine as NXT would give.
However, shine was the main reason - it was about protection.

As for the technologies... some have not changed since they were discovered. Just like a wheel :D
I mean seriously, wax is simply some kind of long chain hydrocarbon that is suspended in volatile hydrocarbon. You could easily dissolve a candle in petroleum ether and apply this paste on your car. I bet it would last longer than any widely available wax providing outstanding shine.

NXT? It smells better... but that's it. I fell for their advertisement and could not believe NuFinish would be any good. Then, well, 5 bucks... let's try it.

And you can see - compare the pictures of the hood: NXT has more wear on it (that's the part that takes the more debris/dust/water...), while NuFinish still provides water repelling on larger surface.
You might want to try it.

If I find time and effort I can redo the test on my BLACK Elantra. This would be better to show the gloss.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
When I was younger I waxed my car literally after every wash. I've gotten lazier, busier and less activity tolerant in my golden years (50's) so I go for the longest lasting stuff I can get, which here in Fl is about 6 months for the sealer, 2 for the wax. I used NXT years ago, and found it didn't last, but was super slick and shiny when first applied. The 2.0 version was an improvement in both aspects. If you are completely mad like some people ;) and wax every week, it's tha bomb.

When I began to really take care of my finish, the clay, sealer, and wax method, I had to move on. I've used a lot of products over the years and most recently have settled on Griot Sealer or CG Jetseal 109, followed by Adam's Buttery wax. No synthetic mirror shines like carnauba wax. The wax is good for 2 months max, but the sealer underneath bonds to the paint and protects a solid 6 months. Jetseal applied 2 layers deep can go a year according to Chemical Guys. I couldn't go that long without a "laying on of hands" so to speak, so I do it each Spring and Fall. With the waxing each 2 months. With the sealer underneath, I know the car and all windows will keep beading even with the wax gone, I'll never have to take a machine to the car other than minor corrections, and I know the headlamps won't be frosting...ever.

All the new products are easy to apply, so I can wash, clay, seal and wax the exterior, under the hood and trunk,inside all the doors and the rims in a couple of hours and forget about it for 2 whole seasons. Wash and Waxing takes maybe 45 on and off so get up early and do it before breakfast. The weekly wash is 30 start to finish. It's great insurance the cars will remain beautiful until someone else does them harm. Most of us married guys are caring for two cars, so It's a little more effort. I notice Holly talking about wax, so if she waxes her own car, I love her even more than I did for her values.;)

As Rich and others have said, it's all personal choice, and just the fact that we are even having this discussion proves we all love our cars, and want them to look great and last. We live in different climates, and lead different lives with more or less time, and more or less harshness in our environments. Not everyone has a garage. Many factors apply. The common factor is that we all try to overcome whatever keeps these beauties from looking and running their best.

Here's my 10 year old Intrepid Sandy, shortly before trading her on Ellie, in the most often ripped off photo of an Intrepid I've ever seen for ebay sellers and knockoff part dealers. Proof that this works. I see so many cars that are so much newer with clear coat cancer and horrible fade. Florida sun and heat is tough on paint. A little effort goes a long way to keeping the damage at bay.

Sandy the 04 SXT

·
22,788 Posts
Also, you mentioned you hose off Ingrid during the week and you drive off. Well doesn't that leave watermarks?

Lastly, with AutoGlym, how often do you wax then?QUOTE]When I hose her down to knock off the dust, etc., and drive off...she's usually dry in hardly no time at all with the air currents as I drive.

Regarding the AutoGlym HD wax cycle: usually just once in the Fall and then again in the Spring. I've never clay barred the ol' girl, but I'm toying with that idea this weekend...as well as finishing her off with some AutoGlym Sealer I found on clearance at the Pep Boys website. Lastly, the HD wax followed up by my buffer (and a great pair of shades to protect my retinas from the paint's reflection in the sunlight)! LOL

That'll do me for the entire winter season. (Unless the wife drives me nuts one Saturday and I the garage for therapy.) Next April, repeat again. One of these HD tubs of wax has lasted me 2 1/2 years...finally gave it to my son to use on his Tundra. I opened a new tub. Ain't even put a dent in it, yet. Well, a small concave spot from the applicator sponge being reloaded.

·
22,788 Posts
For under ten bucks a bottle you get a familiar product that you know will be easy to apply, will make your car look as good as any photo you'll see on the internet, and will bead water for a whole year. That's all most people want.
You probably said the most accurate thing I've read in weeks, Don. And it pains me to say that. Especially since I'm so AutoGlym HD hardheaded, LOL.

It really does boil down to using whatever "trips your trigger." My trigger is a bit more sensitive to the squeeze.

"If you're happy and you know it, clap your hands!" :clap:

·
22,788 Posts
When I was younger I waxed my car literally after every wash. I've gotten lazier, busier and less activity tolerant in my golden years (50's) so I go for the longest lasting stuff I can get, which here in Fl is about 6 months for the sealer, 2 for the wax. I used NXT years ago, and found it didn't last, but was super slick and shiny when first applied. The 2.0 version was an improvement in both aspects. If you are completely mad like some people ;) and wax every week, it's tha bomb.

When I began to really take care of my finish, the clay, sealer, and wax method, I had to move on. I've used a lot of products over the years and most recently have settled on Griot Sealer or CG Jetseal 109, followed by Adam's Buttery wax. No synthetic mirror shines like carnauba wax. The wax is good for 2 months max, but the sealer underneath bonds to the paint and protects a solid 6 months. Jetseal applied 2 layers deep can go a year according to Chemical Guys. I couldn't go that long without a "laying on of hands" so to speak, so I do it each Spring and Fall. With the waxing each 2 months. With the sealer underneath, I know the car and all windows will keep beading even with the wax gone, I'll never have to take a machine to the car other than minor corrections, and I know the headlamps won't be frosting...ever.

All the new products are easy to apply, so I can wash, clay, seal and wax the exterior, under the hood and trunk,inside all the doors and the rims in a couple of hours and forget about it for 2 whole seasons. Wash and Waxing takes maybe 45 on and off so get up early and do it before breakfast. The weekly wash is 30 start to finish. It's great insurance the cars will remain beautiful until someone else does them harm. Most of us married guys are caring for two cars, so It's a little more effort. I notice Holly talking about wax, so if she waxes her own car, I love her even more than I did for her values.;)

As Rich and others have said, it's all personal choice, and just the fact that we are even having this discussion proves we all love our cars, and want them to look great and last. We live in different climates, and lead different lives with more or less time, and more or less harshness in our environments. Not everyone has a garage. Many factors apply. The common factor is that we all try to overcome whatever keeps these beauties from looking and running their best.

Here's my 10 year old Intrepid Sandy, shortly before trading her on Ellie, in the most often ripped off photo of an Intrepid I've ever seen for ebay sellers and knockoff part dealers. Proof that this works. I see so many cars that are so much newer with clear coat cancer and horrible fade. Florida sun and heat is tough on paint. A little effort goes a long way to keeping the damage at bay.

Sandy the 04 SXT
This post rings so many bells from my past, and coincides with how I feel about Ingrid, today. This, is one well written post. I salute you, sir. You have effectively described my feelings and characteristics in a nutshell! Thanks for saying it!

·
Registered
807 Posts

Sandy the 04 SXT
When you come to apply new wax over the existing jetseal 109, how do you remove the "old" wax without effecting the jetseal?

·
Registered
39 Posts
After researching I am leaning toward trying the Collinite 845 for my new HSH in pewter gray. Might be tough to locate in CA. How often are you applying? Is it keeping the bugs from embedding in the front? It isn't recommended for rubber, non-skid, black trim, vinyl, glass or non-painted plastic. What are you using for those?

I've considered Meguiar's product Paint Protect G36516 that can seal everything but not glass. I think it is new for 2015. I cannot locate any users reviews other than their youtube vids. Wondering if anyone has.

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts