Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace a burnt out headlight bulb. I'd like to replace it with one of the newer, whiter, brighter aftermarket bulbs. Does anyone have any suggestions on brands and models?
I know...if I really want bright lights I should just get HID lights. Well, I can't afford them right now.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
If you can't afford the HID kit, then I recommend you just get the stock type bulbs. Increasing the wattage can do weird things to your electrical system.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE (jsinton @ Jul 12 2010, 09:30 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=341230
If you can't afford the HID kit, then I recommend you just get the stock type bulbs. Increasing the wattage can do weird things to your electrical system.
Are the newer bulbs more watts than the stock bulbs? Are you speaking from experience? What happened?

Does anyone have experience with the Sylvania SilverStar Ultra bulbs?

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
There's a lot of aftermarket stuff available. What is important is to use the same wattage bulb. Just like in your house, you can get bulbs with increased wattage. Your car will sense the increased wattage and assume there is some problem and possibly do weird things. HID with a transformer does not use increased wattage, so that's ok. You can find people on the forum that have used increased wattage bulbs, and then complain about electrical problems.

So long as you get a stock type bulb with the same wattage, you should be ok. Check the owners manual for wattage.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The Sylvania Silverstar Ultra is probably the best you are going to get for a brighter "whiter" bulb. Keep in mind that the increased output of the Sylvania Silverstar Ultra bulb comes at a price of reduced life. Typically 1 year, some say less. I have had them in about 7 months now without any problems. They definitely are "whiter" and I would say a little brighter, but don't expect a miracle or anything.

Another option would be GE Nighthawk Platinum; they sell them on Amazon. They are more expensive; it's an interesting design. I was thinking about trying these next. I thought about going HID, but as of right now I will stick with standard bulbs until my warranty expires. Go with HIDs if you want maximum output. DDM tuning is what I would go with because they are cheap and have a lifetime warranty. They are only $40, which is about the same price that you'll pay for halogen bulbs. If your at all concerned about the electrical or warranty issues of any kind, stick with Halogen bulbs. As a side note the dealer cannot void your entire warranty, but that doesn't mean they won't be dicks when it comes time for warranty repair.

If you search you will see this covered quite a bit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts