Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been discussed millions of times on this forum itself, but let's get a fresh thread going regarding the best performing tires when it comes overall performance.

Tires play a role in the comfort, and fuel economy in our daily driving. Many factors such as comfort level, thread-wear, season performance play a key role in choosing a good set.

If you own a certain set of tires that you think to perform well, list the make, model, and exact tire size you are using.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Pirelli Cinturato All Season Plus 235/45-18. Great all around tire, but if one wants great handling and wants a summer only tire, try the Pirelli P Zero (PZ4).

·
Registered
414 Posts
Total and utter waste of time thread.

4x4 tyres are better at 4x4'ing. Snow tyres.....Grippy soft tyres......Hard, long wearing tyres...... Semi-slicks........Slicks.........Run flats..........Eco.........Quiet.........Wet braking.........Dry braking..........Cornering............

If there was one 'best' tyre, then all others would be out of business.

I like brand name tyres, not Chinese crap ones. Others like ones that produce red smoke when they do burnouts.

Have a look at http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/ if you want some real world reviews.

No point re-hashing it all here amongst a very small group of people who buy cheaper cars.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

4x4 tyres are better at 4x4'ing. Snow tyres.....Grippy soft tyres......Hard, long wearing tyres...... Semi-slicks........Slicks.........Run flats..........Eco.........Quiet.........Wet braking.........Dry braking..........Cornering............

I like brand name tyres, not Chinese crap ones. Others like ones that produce red smoke when they do burnouts.

Have a look at http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/ if you want some real world reviews.

No point re-hashing it all here amongst a very small group of people who buy cheaper cars.

I should've clarified my original post. Not looking for that tire that is the one and only, seeking other peoples honest reviews that are also driving Hyundai’s. Every tire is different, and excels in it's own category.

I wouldn't consider a Hyundai a cheaper car, no matter how much you spent on the car, it's considered a purchase that comes with a price tag. This community may be small, but having discussions like this brings others in, and allows us to be tighter community

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
I have about 10K on the PureContacts and have to say, no regrets in them at all. Reviewed many and the wet traction just beat the Cinturato's and cost compared to Michelin.

Last car I ran ExtremeContacts and was equally happy. But all your going to get here is each person opinion. Nothing else.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Man, someone's having a bad day. He just wanted to start a topic, not a burn thread. If it was such a waste of time you sure posted quite a bit for nothing. That last line almost sounds like a jab at everyone here on the forums. Almost a disrespectful jab saying we're cheap or can't afford more expensive (and maybe in your mind better) things. I bought mine used at a very good deal because we rent cars quite a bit and the Sonata for the price was by far the best bang for your buck for a lot of categories. We mainly use the car to run errands, trips near and far. Not really an in city day to day driver. There are times we don't drive it for days.

I for one felt like your last comment was a jab at the community. I could have bought a lot more expensive car like a Tesla S 90D, or something better, but to me that car is way over priced and I will never buy one at that price. My friend around the corner has one and has brought it back to Tesla for fixes of things we wouldn't have on normal cars. He has to drive around 5hrs to get those repairs done. I can afford "expensive" cars, I could afford a more expensive house, I could buy more expensive jewelry, clothes, electronics...etc. I don't because that is who I am. I worked hard for my money and don't always waste it on things to be fashionable or trendy. I MOST of the times spend my hard money on things that make sense and not waste the cents. Sure I splurge sometimes, but I don't come on forums or brag to the world...hey look what I bought? Why? Cuz I could!!!...I'm not that type of a person.

I initially came here to see others responses for tires for specifically Sonata's or their experience to share. Just for future references when it is time to buy tires again. I hope more people post and not try to flame on this being a waste of time. I don't have any experience with other tires on my Sonata yet. I believe they are still the stock Kunho series. I'm right at 51k now, so I think I'm getting close to buying tires.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I just bought Altimax RT43 (H-rated) 205/65r16 for my Sonata SE 2016. Previously, I had the same type of tires on Altima (in the corresponding size), and was very happy with them.
I've driven only just short of 1k on these new tires. So, here is my first impression: Handling: excellent. No complaints at all. Ride comfort is fine. The only thing that I am not 100% sure about is the noise. They seem to be a bit louder then the original (Kumho) tires, at least on some surfaces.
I am still happy with the purchase. And the price is very reasonable: under $100 per tire at Discount Tires. (They don't keep it in stock, you'd have to order and wait 3-5 days.)
I haven't tried it in a big rain yet, but was happy with the control in down-pour on Altima.

(This is in hot and humid US South, so, no information about driving in snow condition.)

A quick note about the tire reviews: Over the years, I've found that the same model tires can behave differently depending on the size and the car. So, I think impression of Hyundai owners about tires on Hyundai cars is different from those for many other car models.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Thanks StR, that's what I'm talking about. When I get off the Kunho's I just want a smooth and hopefully more quiet sound.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I've been thoroughly impressed through the first 7,500 miles I've had my 245/45/18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+... wasn't sure if moving from 235/50 to 245/45 would affect the ride quality, but the Michelin's are really, really good. 95% of my driving is highway driving and they are super quiet and don't track/wander around on the grooved concrete sections of interstate.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Did you bother looking at the website I highlighted?

It's just another site with reviews posted, no different from many others that exist like it. The whole idea is to the community engaged in discussion we can all talk about. You say it's a waste of time, but end up writing a whole post. No-one is obligated to post in this thread if they don't want to, you can completely ignore the thread and proceed onto the others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
285 Posts
I know this has been discussed millions of times on this forum itself, but let's get a fresh thread going regarding the best performing tires when it comes overall performance.

Tires play a role in the comfort, and fuel economy in our daily driving. Many factors such as comfort level, thread-wear, season performance play a key role in choosing a good set.

If you own a certain set of tires that you think to perform well, list the make, model, and exact tire size you are using.
Thanks for starting this thread.

This subject and several other popular ones can never be discussed too often, because there are new people joining from time to time in search of advice and don't know what is nonsense and what is not; and there is a lot of bad advice and nonsense in this forum too.

It took me a few weeks to memorise the name of the the front tyres on my Sonata SE when I got the car: Ecovision. Never heard of them before. They were mismatched with the original Kumho TA31 on the rear wheels. Two years later they are still on the car, rotated to the rear now.

Frankly, all tyres are comparable. If I had changed these tyres to more expensive ones of the same size and UTQG rating I would still be feeling for feedback through the steering wheel and the driver's seat.

I pay more attention to the tyre pattern for wet weather performance is my primary concern. If the car moves in the dry, okay. A front wheel drive car slipping in the wet, not so much. Because I drive the same way at the same speeds in all weather.

If I can't feel what is happening with the car, I replace the tyres.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I just bought Altimax RT43 (H-rated) 205/65r16 for my Sonata SE 2016. Previously, I had the same type of tires on Altima (in the corresponding size), and was very happy with them.
I've driven only just short of 1k on these new tires. So, here is my first impression: Handling: excellent. No complaints at all. Ride comfort is fine. The only thing that I am not 100% sure about is the noise. They seem to be a bit louder then the original (Kumho) tires, at least on some surfaces.
I am still happy with the purchase. And the price is very reasonable: under $100 per tire at Discount Tires. (They don't keep it in stock, you'd have to order and wait 3-5 days.)
I haven't tried it in a big rain yet, but was happy with the control in down-pour on Altima.

(This is in hot and humid US South, so, no information about driving in snow condition.)

A quick note about the tire reviews: Over the years, I've found that the same model tires can behave differently depending on the size and the car. So, I think impression of Hyundai owners about tires on Hyundai cars is different from those for many other car models.
I just purged a set of these from my 2014 Elantra. I have pretty much the same outcome as you described. They handled very well on went and dry surfaces. If the Perelli P7 had the same wet traction, it would be a tire you couldn't beat. I personally had to ditch my 17" and downsized to the 16", and the ride quality is night and day. I bought a set of take-offs from a new '("17) elantra, and it had Khumo t31's. Not a bad tire, not a good one. Noise slightly quieter than the 43's. Plus, I now have a very different looking Elantra, and even though the trend is the biggest wheel/smallest tire, I get lots of compliments on it's looks, and I have also got the latest in-fashion OEM wheel types!

·
Registered
220 Posts
A few updates:
1. I had a chance to drive with these new tires in rain, including some downpour. I didn't notice it was driving differently from the sunny condition. And it was not noisier either.
2. I had to stop abruptly from 70 mph to 0 (dry road). No screeching noise from the tires, no skidding,
3. I am not sure: it might be some psychological effect, but it seems to me that the noise level went down after the first 100-300 miles.

·
Registered
147 Posts

Have a look at Tyre reviews, tests and ratings - Tyre Reviews if you want some real world reviews.

Tyre reviews/tests mean very little unless the tyres being reviewed/tested are tested on a vehicle that one owns. A Honda civic will handle differently to a Hyundai elantra, what works for the Honda may not work as well on the Hyundai. It is therefore helpful to receive feedback from owners of a specific vehicle and the types and brands of tyres that have been tested on that vehicle.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The OEM Kumho tires on my 2015 Limited Turbo were terrible - shot at 30,000 with regular rotate and balance.

First time ever I have went non-brand name and bought Milestar MS932 Sport tires. So far these are very quiet and feel very good on the road - best part was $335 total with road hazard.

·
Registered
672 Posts
The OEM Kumho tires on my 2015 Limited Turbo were terrible - shot at 30,000 with regular rotate and balance.

First time ever I have went non-brand name and bought Milestar MS932 Sport tires. So far these are very quiet and feel very good on the road - best part was $335 total with road hazard.
I replaced my Hankook Ventus s1 noble 2's with the Milestars when the Hankooks shredded. Nice low cost tire.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've had Pirelli Cinturatos previously on my Mazda 3 and Mazda5 and was really happy. In the New England winters, they were the best non snow tire I've owned. Once the awful Kumhos on my Sonata are done, I'm looking at those again or possibly Vredstein Quatrac 5.

·
Registered
285 Posts

Milestar tyres are made by a brand name company: Nangkang.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts