Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about changing out the transmission fluid in my 2.4L 08 Sonata (manual tranny) and I'm trying to find out what would be the best fluid for my car. I tried googling but results seem to vary. It seems like the general consensus is to stick with Hyundai oil, which is apparently expensive. Is there any alternatives to Hyundai oil? Also how much of it would you need, 3 quarts?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
I had replaced my factory fluid with BG Synchroshift II after about 1 year (15k). With the factory fluid when the car was cold in winter, second gear was almost not an option it was that difficult to go in. After a 1-2 miles it was OK. The BG made it much better but still not great. I'm at 110k and I just replaced the BG with the Redline MT85 a couple months ago. My thoughts on it are that is noticeably more difficult to shift again into second gear and it's not winter yet. All my gears seem to be more difficult, notchy and not consistent. Some days it shifts smooth, others it just seems like multiple things are off.

From a different forum where oils/lubricants are covered more they covered viscosities of multiple fluids but I don't know if the factory Hyundai/Kia was in it. From that the BG is a little thinner than the Redline which mimics the results that I feel I think. The BG was thinner than other fluids and made a HUGE difference in my old Corolla where I was getting a light grind between gears for a long time where 2 shops said I would need a rebuild. 100k+ miles of smooth shifting later (with just BG fluid change and no rebuilds) the car was totalled in an accident. I drove home from body shop and STILL shifted better then the Sonata when new.

I'm going to change my fluid again and from the other forum, I'm going to try Pentosin MTF2. It was brought up as there is a TSB from Hyundai for the Genesis manual trannies. From factory they spec the same 75W85 we need but due to difficult shifting especially cold they call for the Pentosin.

Being your in the cold you might want to try that also. Between the factory fluid / MT85 / BG, I'd say tough choice. Factory was horrible second gear but OK for the rest that I recall, MT85 just not thrilling me at any point. BG was good in all gears but still a little tough in second when cold BUT after less than 1 mile was fine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts