Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
First post, Just joined. I have an SE Turbo and love it! But there is one thing that drives me nuts. When the 'Miles Remaining' gage reaches 35 or so, it just shuts off!!!!! And the manual basically says Yep. that's how it works! To me, this is a design flaw.

It is almost unbelievable to me that such a near perfect car could make it through engineering with a great feature that disables itself just when you need it most!!!!

I've searched the forum and can't find any complaint about this. Am I the only one who feels this way??? To me, this is worthy of a firmware revision.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
My Santa Fe and my previous Nissan were the same... display goes blank around the 50 kilometer mark.

Can't blame the car companies; it's a liability thing. Distance remaining is an estimate only, and changes according to driving conditions. If people can sue McDonald's for selling them hot coffee, imagine what happens when a car promises another 20 miles of driving and then conks out after 10 miles on some isolated back road at minus 30 degrees?

·
Registered
290 Posts
There is not a car made that will tell you miles remaining all the way to empty. They all will shut off at some point. So you have a great car with 0 issues! Hooray! Watch for the left pull though....

·
Registered
277 Posts
Is the fuel pump located in fuel tank?
My response is made assuming it is.

It is not a good idea to run the fuel down that low. It is not good for the fuel pump, because it would be difficult to keep the pump cool.
The gas cools the pump. A hot pump will not last as long as one that remains cool.
I'm sure it would not be a problem if it happened only rarely, but if you often let this happen, it could be a future problem.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
QUOTE (Shoot2Thrill @ Dec 4 2010, 10:32 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=376887
Really? Many do! I have three! I know of many!
You are correct. BMWs are one example: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4921970. But what's this? It seems that after counting down to zero (instead of 35), the BMW display still goes blank, the engine still runs, and the owners still agonize over the question of how much farther they could have gone.

Life is short. Just fill up the darn tank and enjoy your car. :57:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I came out of an 07 GTI. Miles remailing counted down all the way to 0. Fuel pump in tank thing: Interesting, I hadn't considered that.

Pinto, please to forgive. I am stealing your signature for use elsewhere. 'evil liver'... heh heh heh. By way of paymet, I am willing to send you a nice Raider emblem to replace your current unsightly avatar. :p

My car (ser#196xxx) pulled to the left at all times, even off the throttle. The dealer (best I've ever had, BTW) checked it & found the camber and toe-in (alignment) needed adjustment. I just got it back. will feed back any issues after testing for a while.

Thanks for the responses folks.

·
Registered
655 Posts
QUOTE (hellcatrydr @ Dec 4 2010, 12:47 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=376912
My car (ser#196xxx) pulled to the left at all times, even off the throttle. The dealer (best I've ever had, BTW) checked it & found the camber and toe-in (alignment) needed adjustment. I just got it back. will feed back any issues after testing for a while.

Thanks for the responses folks.
I'm sure yours was out of alignment if it pulled all the time. The Left Pull issue is different, in that it comes and goes, like a glitch in a computer.
When it's not happening, the car is perfectly straight.

"Best Lil car", sounds like you're describing an Elantra/Civic, or other small car. I think this car is considered full size sedan. Are you coming off an F250 ?

·
Registered
314 Posts
On the meter going blank at 35...Might be they think they're doing you a favor by shocking you into getting a fill-up.

'Do it!...Do it, NOW!...Have a happy day and drive safe.We love you. :grin: _You're friends at Hyundai.'

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
The old P38 body Range Rovers were even worse. Once it got to 50 miles it would say '>50 MI. REMAINING - PLEASE REFUEL'.

I agree, though...my Santa Fe goes to 30 miles to empty before it shows --- but it doesn't bother me. I very rarely let my car drop below a 1/8 and have only seen my low fuel light once on this car. Chances are I'll never see it again.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Would be nice to go below 35. For example you get the car back from another driver. If it reads 34 you know you can make it to the station when you want. If it reads 16 you need to make it a priority. If it reads single digits you may want to put a gallon in just to be sure. If it reads nothing at 35 you don't know if it is 34 or into the reserve fuel. Is in necessary no but it is nicer.

·
Registered
49 Posts
My VWs, Audis, and my current BMW all count(ed) down to 0 miles remaining and they were all conservative on that indication. My '09 Jetta TDI (diesel for those unaware) could be driven upwards of 30+ miles while the computer read 0 miles remaining and the tank still wasn't completely empty upon refilling it. That difference for me meant refilling in NJ before I left work or waiting until I got back into PA (home). I won't let any gas station attendant in NJ touch my car since all pumps are full service. No gas/diesel drips on my car, thank you.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My friends Elantra Tourning does the same thing. Told me once I hit 30 on the miles to go it goes blank and the one bar left on the fuel gauge will flash. Not a problem for me though only did it once to see just how far after they came on I could go and got 496 out of the tank. One and only time that will ever happen, now just get about 460 out of it...lol

·
Banned
1,090 Posts
Car gets, what? 25 mpg average for some. We are talking about a gallon and a half of fuel. That's a lawnmower worth. If you're running it that low on fuel, the last thing I'd worry about is a counter.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts