Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It might be obvious but I've heard that ECO mode might not be the best drive mode for the best fuel economy on long highway trips.

Thought ??????

·
Registered
475 Posts
Interesting and I've thought about that myself. I've only had a few long highway trips and used ECO mode like always. For traffic and short freeway trips and all I use ECO and get excellent MPG usually 55+ MPG. However, taking the long high way trips I'm down to near what it is rated for which is about 42 MPG. Other options are normal and sport so I'm thinking to try one of those next longer trip and see.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Interesting and I've thought about that myself. I've only had a few long highway trips and used ECO mode like always. For traffic and short freeway trips and all I use ECO and get excellent MPG usually 55+ MPG. However, taking the long high way trips I'm down to near what it is rated for which is about 42 MPG. Other options are normal and sport so I'm thinking to try one of those next longer trip and see.
Yep! I’m the same! City driving I can get sometimes 60+ mpg! But when I’m taking a trip to say, San Diego, which is around 5.5 hours drive, I manage a whole 35-40mpg.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Jc0187 & JKK, gentlemen, where in SoCal are you?

I drive mostly in LA County where we have up hills, both in town and on the fwys (e.g. 405, 5, 710, 110, 101 etc.). Now, when I'm so eager to save gas, I notice that all fwys are NOT flat. Up and down all the time.

Sometimes in the city, I deteriorate to 33-34 (Mostly rush hour).
The max I reached on a combined trip, From North of Fresno to Long beach, ~250 miles, I got 43. Lost a lot climbing to Grapevine on the 5, and gained back just a little, sliding down to civilization...

How do you get even over 50, let alone 66?

AD

·
Registered
559 Posts
In Ohio. The best I've ever gotten on my '16 was 59.4 MPG on a 15-mile trip one evening. Essentially all flat roads, little traffic and I think I hit every light green except two near the destination. I've noticed that using the adaptive cruise control almost always raises my mileage. If I'm driving the power is around 20%. If I switch on the cruise it drops to 5% to 10% but the speed does not change; I don't get it. I'm getting better at being lighter on the accelerator to maintain the same speed. I drive almost exclusively in normal mode nowadays.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
I went from NJ to TN down 81 at some 75 MPH and was getting 45 mpg, remember they have a few mountains on the way. That was done in 2 day (5 hours each) When in Pigeon Forge the speeds were mostly 40 mph, so mileage went up to 48 mpg. That was in Eco mode.

Last week I got 47.9 just driving around the area. It was in the 60s - 70s so not a lot of air.

·
Registered
288 Posts

I drive mostly in LA County where we have up hills, both in town and on the fwys (e.g. 405, 5, 710, 110, 101 etc.). Now, when I'm so eager to save gas, I notice that all fwys are NOT flat. Up and down all the time.

The max I reached on a combined trip, From North of Fresno to Long beach, ~250 miles, I got 43. Lost a lot climbing to Grapevine on the 5, and gained back just a little, sliding down to civilization...

AD
I’m actually in Phoenix Arizona. Our streets here are flat and open. Not many hills.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Remember, in 2016 they added Eco, Normal and Sport when they changed the engine to a 2.0. When you start the car it always go to Eco. I just drive.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'll try driving with the ECO off for a few days and see how it goes.

BTW, when pressing the All Apps>Setup>Navigation>GPS, you get the satellites map, but also the altitude. Freeways I've always thought are flat, ARE NOT! Here, we're almost at ocean level in principal, yet the roads fluctuate between 100 to 36 feet. Usually it's +/-20 feet. It's incredible how it affects MPG. When SCC is on, to climbs to almost 40% and then lowered to 0%, as the EV is engaged, sliding down those 20 feet...

An anecdote... I just discovered how to start the car when the remote (key fob) battery is low or dead.
Instead of pushing the Start button with your finger, push it with the (emptied) remote!
A bit primitive, but hey...

·
Registered
559 Posts
An anecdote... I just discovered how to start the car when the remote (key fob) battery is low or dead.
Instead of pushing the Start button with your finger, push it with the (emptied) remote!
That's actually in the owner's manual. There must be an RFID chip in it or something.

I just had to replace the battery in mine after two years (the car was built 2.5 years earlier) and it was very easy. Use the key to snap the halves apart and replace the battery.

The small display warned me that the battery was low so I was not caught unawares.

·
Registered
317 Posts
The car told you that the remote's battery is low?:surprise:
Yep. Happened to me. I took ownership of a 2016 HSH Limited with Ultimate package on May 25. I bought from local dealer as a CPO. Apparently the 150 point inspection does not include remote fob battery check as the next day my dashboard display flashed a warning message that my remote battery was low.

Changing the battery is simple and have done it before as I already have a similar fob in the family on my daughters 2012 Elantra Limited. The CR2032 battery tested low in my battery tester. I had new replacements at home already from needing them in computer motherboards and a bluetooth wireless grilling temperature device. The new battery cured the fob low battery warning problem.

Reactions: phftw

·
Registered
475 Posts

AD
I'm in the inland empire. I drive the 15, 210, 10, 60. For me, it is all about the way I drive. I can get better MPG in any vehicle based on what I've learned on this site and about my HSH. I'm actively looking to be efficient and employing hypermile techniques when I can. The HSH responds very well to good driving techniques, I was very impressed from early on when I bought it CPO. Probably average about 45 MPH on work commuting.

My drive to/from work involves freeway, traffic, and some streets. I live at a little higher elevation than where I work, not much but it is noticeable as people have mentioned here about freeways no being flat. My commute is 15 miles and I can (on occasion) get 99.9 MPG (believe it or not) on my way from home to work. I would say that I average 85 MPG though on this route. Typically, on my way from work back to home I have gotten a best of 58 mpg, but would say my average there is 48 mpg. Overall, I'm getting about 60 mpg for a tank of gas and netting about 800 miles with 2 clicks left on the gas gauge.

The highway trips I take at speed (70 to 75 MPH) and such bring me way down to published numbers of the low to mid 40 MPG...

·
Registered
175 Posts
Probably average about 45 MPH on work commuting...

...My commute is 15 miles and I can (on occasion) get 99.9 MPG (believe it or not) on my way from home to work. I would say that I average 85 MPG though on this route. Typically, on my way from work back to home I have gotten a best of 58 mpg, but would say my average there is 48 mpg.
Wow. If you get 85MPG one way, and 48MPG on the way back, the average = (85+48)/2 = 66.5 MPG. That's impressive.

Overall, I'm getting about 60 mpg for a tank of gas and netting about 800 miles with 2 clicks left on the gas gauge.

The highway trips I take at speed (70 to 75 MPH) and such bring me way down to published numbers of the low to mid 40 MPG...
That's even more impressive, and gives me hope when you mention low to mid 40MPG at 70-75MPH driving.

I am in Texas hills; speed limit is 75 on many freeways, and there I average 42 MPG when in Hybrid mode (I have PHEV, so it's a bit heavier).

But I visited a friend deep in the hill country (literally going up or down a hill almost the whole way after the freeway), and there I averaged 50MPG for the trip - 33 miles each way, of them half on the freeway - which means about 60MPG in the hills part. I think it has to do with great efficiency of an electric engine at low speeds going up hill, and great energy recuperation going down the hill (barely any braking involved).

Nice hypermiling skills!

·
Registered
475 Posts
Wow. If you get 85MPG one way, and 48MPG on the way back, the average = (85+48)/2 = 66.5 MPG. That's impressive.

That's even more impressive, and gives me hope when you mention low to mid 40MPG at 70-75MPH driving.

I am in Texas hills; speed limit is 75 on many freeways, and there I average 42 MPG when in Hybrid mode (I have PHEV, so it's a bit heavier).

But I visited a friend deep in the hill country (literally going up or down a hill almost the whole way after the freeway), and there I averaged 50MPG for the trip - 33 miles each way, of them half on the freeway - which means about 60MPG in the hills part. I think it has to do with great efficiency of an electric engine at low speeds going up hill, and great energy recuperation going down the hill (barely any braking involved).

Nice hypermiling skills!
Thank you :smile:

This tank, I'm averaging around 60+ MPG. I do some driving around during the day so it drops the calculated average down some for just the commute.

Here is what I got on my drive in to work today: 91.6 mpg (14 miles), and so far I'm averaging 60.3 mpg for this tank with over 600 miles driven and over 200 still to go showing. My driving style is 94% eco and 6% normal...

It's all ready 76 degrees this morning and getting HOT.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm obsessed now. I need to learn how to get those numbers...

JKK, when/how/where (road types) do you select to engage or disengage ECO?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts