Hyundai Forums banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I'll let you in on a wee secret. Workshop service managers don't know a helluva lot about cars. They shuffle paper for a living.

One other thing to be aware of is that OBD2 is a system for dealing with engine emission faults. An generic OBD scan tool will only be able to communicate with the engine ECU. It won't help you with faults on the ABS, SRS (Airbag), or any of the other systems on the car. A Hyundai specific tool should be able to communicate with all systems.

If I helped you fix it, why not...

Your support is greatly appreciated
Thanks - so much to consider!!. Yes there would certainly be advantages in having a tool that would give me more specific info (not much point otherwise I guess). BTW I inquired about the Foxwell NT510-530 online. Seem to be some available o/seas (eg. Original Foxwell NT510 Elite Multi-System Scanner) but still looking on Oz :). Checking out the Launch stuff now (Scan Tool Archives - Launch Tech Australia). Will update this thread to let people know how I get on.

·
Registered
5,322 Posts
I think a friend of mine has an OBD2 scanner so I will indeed see if the two will talk to each other
Now your getting sensible. Even though they have the OBD2 plug doesn't mean their OBD2. Holden fitted that plug back in 1993 but didn't go OBD2 till around 1999 but only the V8 the 6 came much later. Ford fitted the plug around the mid 90's but didn't go OBD2 till 2006. Many people were quiet upset when their new tool didn't work. Hope they are for your sake. It makes it a whole lot simpler.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Now your getting sensible. Even though they have the OBD2 plug doesn't mean their OBD2. Holden fitted that plug back in 1993 but didn't go OBD2 till around 1999 but only the V8 the 6 came much later. Ford fitted the plug around the mid 90's but didn't go OBD2 till 2006. Many people were quiet upset when their new tool didn't work. Hope they are for your sake. It makes it a whole lot simpler.
Yes me too. I'm hoping, being fully imported, that they wouldn't bother fitting a retro system just because Oz manufacturers hadn't moved to the new standard yet. Sounds like the majority of their other buyer countries (far greater sales numbers than Oz) had already moved to OBD2 around then ;-).

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Autel Australia...

PS: to be honest i can't believe they sell the AP200 for so little.

Yeah will definitely be looking at them once I can confirm which standard my cars have (hopefully it's OBD2), although I think AUTOSPARK makes a valid point about make/model-specific stuff being more useful - obviously the more detail I can get from the system the more beneficial it will be in diagnosing and fixing problems :).

·
Registered
290 Posts
The Autel AP200 can read all the Hyundai specific codes from the Hyundai black boxes as well as doing a bunch of service functions. When you get it you download the specific software module for your car... in this case the Hyundai module... and it reads everything. There is also a generic module that just reads the generic codes. That's useful for when using it on another generic vehicle. You can also display live data in a graph on your phone.

What i like about it is that its small enough to just throw in my glovebox. The app is on my phone so any time i need it... its there. You can just keep it plugged in also... but i don't do that.

PS: i bought a set of 18" Hyundai stock rims (the ones that come on the CM series Santa Fe Limited and SE) and will be replacing my stock 16" as an upgrade. It looks like this Autel scanner will let me write the new TPMS sensor IDs into the Hyundai TPMS box, when i upgrade rims. This feature saves folks from going to dealerships when they swap to winter rims, etc.

Yeah will definitely be looking at them once I can confirm which standard my cars have (hopefully it's OBD2), although I think AUTOSPARK makes a valid point about make/model-specific stuff being more useful - obviously the more detail I can get from the system the more beneficial it will be in diagnosing and fixing problems :).

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
OK, so here's an update... In short - I still don't know whether or not my cars are OBD2. Read on for more detail...

I drove the 99GLS to my friend's place and we tried his three OBD2 scanners. None of them would work, although he wasn't sure if that was simply because he had them all configured for his Toyotas. I had assumed that they would at least generically identify the presence of an ECU if the car was OBD2... Anyway, after fiddling around with things for quite a while and essentially concluding that the car mustn't be OBD2, he found a freeby car scanner App in the "play store" on his Android phone, so with nothing to lose he downloaded it and behold! - it worked!! See photo attached for the App details. Basically, he just scrolled through the vehicle configuration options in the App and picked the '99 Sonata 2.5l GLS option (the oldest one listed), and it then read the codes, identifying the bank1 O2 sensor and the temperature sensor with errors (which is very consistent with some of the erratic engine behaviour). It even gave some links to click on taking us to photos of the sensors concerned in-situ. It did however only seem to work by Bluetoothing with one of his three readers - the OBDLinkMX+ (photo of the packet attached). He said from memory, it cost him about $45, although didn't recall whether than was USD or AUD. At that price, I didn't care - it was worth that just to get one that I knew would at the very least work with the free scanner app.

With both us having run-out of time, he loaned me the OBDLinkMX+ so I could download the App on my own phone and spend a little more time playing with it before deciding to order my own. However, unfortunately, I've not since repeated that initial success we had. That same app (just days later) no longer lists the '99 Sonata as a configuration option. I've also not been able to find that particular scanner as cheaply as he recalls...

Am continuing to to experiment and look for other apps that might work - time will tell... Text Technology Electronic device Gadget Font

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
OK, so here's an update... In short - I still don't know whether or not my cars are OBD2. Read on for more detail...

I drove the 99GLS to my friend's place and we tried his three OBD2 scanners. None of them would work, although he wasn't sure if that was simply because he had them all configured for his Toyotas. I had assumed that they would at least generically identify the presence of an ECU if the car was OBD2... Anyway, after fiddling around with things for quite a while and essentially concluding that the car mustn't be OBD2, he found a freeby car scanner App in the "play store" on his Android phone, so with nothing to lose he downloaded it and behold! - it worked!! See photo attached for the App details. Basically, he just scrolled through the vehicle configuration options in the App and picked the '99 Sonata 2.5l GLS option (the oldest one listed), and it then read the codes, identifying the bank1 O2 sensor and the temperature sensor with errors (which is very consistent with some of the erratic engine behaviour). It even gave some links to click on taking us to photos of the sensors concerned in-situ. It did however only seem to work by Bluetoothing with one of his three readers - the OBDLinkMX+ (photo of the packet attached). He said from memory, it cost him about $45, although didn't recall whether than was USD or AUD. At that price, I didn't care - it was worth that just to get one that I knew would at the very least work with the free scanner app.

With both us having run-out of time, he loaned me the OBDLinkMX+ so I could download the App on my own phone and spend a little more time playing with it before deciding to order my own. However, unfortunately, I've not since repeated that initial success we had. I've also not been able to find that particular scanner as cheaply as he recalls...
Text Technology Electronic device Gadget Font

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
17,991 Posts
Great to hear you managed read the trouble codes. The MX+ does seem very expensive for an OBD interface. I guess the OBDLink App must be really good to justify the price. But at least you know that one works (sometimes). Perhaps you could go for the cheaper OBDLink LX, which looks to be basically the same interface only it doesn't support certain proprietary GM & Ford CAN BUS protocols. That shouldn't be an issue on your car that isn't a GM/Ford and doesn't even have CAN.

If I helped you fix it, why not...

Your support is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hi all,

I'm new to the group and have these two V6 Sonatas in Perth, Western Australia, the white one being a 99GLS Auto 2.5L and the blue one a late 2001 (first of new series) manual 2.7L. There is also a silver 98GLS 2.5L auto under the carport (i.e. same series as the 99). I want to buy a code reader/diagnostic tool so I can work on them myself (or at least know what to request others to work on if I don't have the equipment/ability). What would you recommend as the best for these two models please?

Many thanks :) . View attachment 449861 View attachment 449862
I have a 2017 Elantra and purchased a Foxwell NT530 with Hyundai software as most generic scanners/ software will only read standard OBD codes or will not read manufacture enhanced codes. This scanner should cover your vehicle and to be sure contact Foxwell. The NT510 and NT520 are old models.

After much research Foxwell proved to have the best software and have provided excellent backup and updates. I am in Melbourne Australia and found the best place to purchase on price was from New Zealand Dealer or Foxwell.com shop.
Find attached xlsx file.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,322 Posts
I have a 1993 Holden with what we call OBD1.5 (caught in the crossfire) which used ALDL data transfer with OBD2 plug and I can read it with my Autel and also Vpecker (as well as bridging 2 terminals on the plug and counting flashing check engine light) so it's quiet likely your Hyundai's are in a similar category.

·
Registered
2002 Sonata 2.4L GL A/T, 2007 Tucson 2.0L
330 Posts
This is just a heads up. The Autel AL619 makes my airbag warning light come on whenever I connect it. It doesn't really provide that many PIDs for my Sonata either. It works ok for other cars, but I don't know if I'd reccomend it if you have a 02 Sonata.

·
Registered
5,322 Posts
Consider they steal and buy the software from the manufacturers you'd think they could get it as good as OE but no. All scantools are not equal. I have had a well known American brand tell me theres nothing wrong and then view it with a $20 eBay bluetooth and free software. I have also had them triggering warning lights after scanning.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Just thought I'd provide an update for anyone out there with Australian EF or EF/B Sonatas (i.e.1998-2005) - and probably Kia Optimas no doubt too. Our cars are DEFINITELY NOT OBD2.

I've found only two scanners so far that will communicate properly with our Australian pre-2006 Sonatas/Optimas.

1. The OBDLink LX bluetooth (OBD2) scanner will scan for most generic Engine Management system codes, but only if you use the free car scanner app in Google Play store rather than the software that comes with it (just select the "pre-OBD2 Sonata IV/EF / Elantra 2.0" as your vehicle option in the app). See my earlier reply with sopme screen shots of this option. That would cost you less than AUD$100 delivered from Ebay, but I haven't managed to read any transmission codes with that yet, so it's clearly not a full system scanner and probably was never intended as an OBD1 scanner. Oh - BTW - it DOES do a full system scan of a 6cyl Ford EL Falcon.

2. Foxwell ET2530 or NT530 scanner, which does the Hyundai & Kia OBD1 factory codes (I phoned the Australian Distributor - Endeavor Tools - and they confirmed it for me before I purchased and I've since received and can confirm that to be the case). Repco had the ET2530 on special for AUD$370.00 when I bought mine, which is about as cheap as I've seen them so far if you want to be able to easily access warranty/service in Australia (Otherwise you could probably get it for under AUD$300 if you just order an NT530 from Ebay - direct from O'seas).

Hope this helps any of you other Australian Sonata/Optima owners out there... :) .

21 - 34 of 34 Posts