Hyundai Forums banner

61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
I just cut the wires. There is a harness available but it will make everything tighter and you might not get everything to fit if you do so. It was a tight squeeze to get mine in.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I wasn't comfortable cutting my factory harness wires, so I made my own harness out of the harness to install a Parrot Bluetooth kit. I just cut off the parts that connected to the Bluetooth kit and spliced in the wires for my amp. I haven't gotten it installed permanently yet - as Kev said, the added wires made it a tight fit and they weren't long enough to relocate it anywhere else. But I did connect it temporarily and everything worked fine. In the spring when it's warmer, I intend to give this another go.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I just cut the wires. There is a harness available but it will make everything tighter and you might not get everything to fit if you do so. It was a tight squeeze to get mine in.
Do you have a link for or a brand name of this harness you used? I'm very interested.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Do you have a link for or a brand name of this harness you used? I'm very interested.
Contact @patchrick. He mentioned here about his harness,

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/gd-2013-elantra-gt/145477-official-elantra-gt-audio-nav-thread-22.html

He also showed pics of it.

He was not able to fit his amp behind the head unit but he bought an Alpine amp that is a little bigger. I also think adding the wire harness adds more bulk making it more difficult to fit it behind the HU. Mine was tight and I didn't use. I am not afraid to cut wires. Anything that can be cut can be reconnected.

Good luck,
Kevin

·
Registered
252 Posts
Go to Parrot Kits and Quick Connect Harness Adapters and select the 2014 Elantra from the drop downs on the left side. That should bring up the QCHyu-3, which is the one I used. I agree with Kev that the added bulk of my amp, plus the harness and additional wiring present for the Nav unit was likely my issue, or else it would've been in already. So if you have the Nav and use this, prepare to extend the wires you splice to locate the amp somewhere else. Kev suggested over the knee airbag, which I haven't explored yet. Another close by option would be the glove box, assuming you don't store a lot in there.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Which wire for ignition trigger

Hello all. I'm in process of installing the Clarion amp in my 2013 GT with Tech/Nav. I'm using the attached pin out diagram as a guide for the speaker wires. Which wire should I splice into for the ignition trigger for the amp?

Thanks much!

Attachments

·
Registered
597 Posts
Hello all. I'm in process of installing the Clarion amp in my 2013 GT with Tech/Nav. I'm using the attached pin out diagram as a guide for the speaker wires. Which wire should I splice into for the ignition trigger for the amp?

Thanks much!
I used one of my power outlets. It was close and easy to run a splice from there to the amp.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Just for ease of those of us who haven't yet installed, would you recommend removing stereo completely for easy access to wires?
I don't see any other way you could access the wires behind it. It's really tight back there, and even if you just removed the climate controls, I don't think you could really reach the stereo wires.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Just for ease of those of us who haven't yet installed, would you recommend removing stereo completely for easy access to wires?
Remove the side bezels that go around the two center vents down to the cup holder. Remove the HVAC controls. Remove the stereo. BOOM...access to the wires.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Remove the side bezels that go around the two center vents down to the cup holder. Remove the HVAC controls. Remove the stereo. BOOM...access to the wires.
It is actually very easy to access the stereo once you remove the bezels. The trick is removing the bezels without damaging them. I used a plastic separating tool like the ones you open up a cell phone with.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Well, I gave this a shot but I couldn't get it to fit. For those that have done this, has anyone had success with a tech package navigation radio head? That's what I have and I'm wondering if the radio unit is larger (deeper) in size than a non-navigation head. I dry fitted the amp in every configuration I could manage in the back of the dash opening, but I couldn't seem to get the radio back in far enough to secure the screws.

If it is possible, could someone who's successfully installed this amp with a navigation unit take a picture and post the position the amp is in?

Thanks much!

·
Registered
681 Posts
I do have the non nav unit in my install but I was under the assumption that the nav unit would also be of the double din format, if so it should fit. I installed mine horizontally with the bottom side of the amp facing the front of the car.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Okay, thanks Kevin. I'll give it another try before I send the amp back. Maybe a wire was hung up somewhere as I tried to put the radio back in. I'll report back for others after I attempt this again.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Yes, Please do report back... I have the Nav unit and this Clarion amp is on my radar. Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Has anyone used the stock head unit from a 2018 Gt ? I like the Apple play stock head unit and wanted to up grade the front speakers and add a nice sub. Wanted to keep the stock look but upgrade the sound quality

61 - 78 of 78 Posts