Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone want to recommend a decent car wax? I'm thinking of putting a coat of wax on my 20 (bought off the lot April 15) day old sonata. I've used Liquid Glass in the past with good results. I need to get off some marks bird **** left on my car :\

·
Registered
21 Posts
I don't know what color Sonata you have but I have a black one and Zaino products if you ask me were made for black cars. It leaves the deepest wettest look you will find. No swirl marks either. The stuff isn't cheap and you should use a couple of their products to get started, but its worth it.

QUOTE (osrk @ May 3 2010, 07:17 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=319219
Anyone want to recommend a decent car wax? I'm thinking of putting a coat of wax on my 20 (bought off the lot April 15) day old sonata. I've used Liquid Glass in the past with good results. I need to get off some marks bird **** left on my car :\

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Meguiar's and Zaino are both excellent products. I have used both with excellent success.

I just had my car done with a Teflon product (DuPont?) at a local detail shop. I had my G35 done a year ago, and the stuff is amazing. 1 Year later, after a Chicago winter, water still beads, and dirt does not stick. I was a big skeptic, but this stuff is great. I had my wife's Dodge Journey done, and it held up great through o the winter, and the paint still feels slick.

·
Registered
72 Posts
You may want to visit their forum also, beginners and pros alike contribute: http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/forums/index.php

OSRK,

Also do a search for a product called Grit Guard. I think you will be interested to see how it helps prevent swirls and scratches
when washing your car in prep for wax. I suppose one could homebrew an item vs the commercial unit.

Here is just one link that sells then by the pair: http://www.autogeek.net/gg1010.html

·
Registered
603 Posts
Spend enough time on automotive forums and talk to people who love detailing and you will always hear Zaino mentioned. They make an excellent product, but its not cheap.

I've personally been using Tropi-Care products (they recently changed their name to Showroom FX) for about 8 years and have been extremely pleased with their products. Years ago I read a comparison between Tropi-Care's polish and Zaino, and they were indistinguishable, but their prices are better.

Check them out if you want a really good line of detailing products:

http://www.showroomfx.com/

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
QUOTE (OMEGA_WEAPON @ May 3 2010, 06:22 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=319221
This is some of the best car wax out there. Pretty much anything Meguiar's makes is top-notch.

Meguiar's Car Wax

Agree on the Meg's. Never used a Meg's product I didn't like.

My favorite wax came with my new Toyota trucks. That stuff goes on very easy, and is very slick and shiny.
Unfortunately, I can only find it at the Dealer, 25 miles away. So I stick with the Meg's until I happen by the
dealer.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Another vote for Zaino. Just added two coats of it this weekend after running the clay bar to get all the contaminants off and the sonata looks like a mirror now. Plus used their leather care products and they are great. Nice leather smell.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have been a fan of Meguiars Tech-Wax - mostly because I'm lazy when it comes to waxing...

There are many thoughts on which wax is best - solid, liquid, etc... but for the price, convenience, and look - Tech Wax - provides a really good wet look / great colors

http://meguiarsdirect.com/detail/MEG+G12718

My neighbor got me hooked on it, and he uses it on his classic so I thought it must be alright!!!

·
Registered
43 Posts
How long should one wait after purchasing the car to apply the wax? I picked up some Meguiars Cleaner Wax last week but haven't applied yet as the car is still shining and looks great.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Before you wax the car, claybar it. Lifts all of the nasties up and out of your paint and makes your car feel oh so smooth.

As for wax, I like Zaino products also. There are "nicer" waxes out there, but they are $$$$ and you'll get just as nice of a look from Zaino.

There are whole forums dedicated to detailing cars. Just depends on how much time and money you want to spend on it.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I worked at AutoZone for 3 years, and every fall we clearanced out the old wax and I bought it for a penny a bottle. Much was given away to family, much was used, but i've tried pretty much everything yer corner store stocks. In my experience, the best you can get over-the-counter is Meguiers. I have tried all types, and the Gold Class has always worked the best for me. I notice no difference between paste and liquid, both provide the same shine to my eye, but the liquid is easier to take off. Tech Wax is supposed to be better for 'color' cars, but mine are black, so Gold Class. If you are bringing back an old car, their 3-step process works very well too.

I see no reason to claybar a new car, in fact the opposite, why would you want to remove a layer of clearcoat when you don't need to. Claybar in a few years when you have some small chips and the clear is already compromised anyway, then you are just smoothing it down.

I must add that I hear a LOT about Zaino. Based on customer feedback, this may be better than Meguiers, especially for black cars. But the price difference was too much for me to experiment :D

·
Registered
90 Posts
QUOTE (mostholycerebus @ May 4 2010, 12:17 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=319472
I see no reason to claybar a new car, in fact the opposite, why would you want to remove a layer of clearcoat when you don't need to. Claybar in a few years when you have some small chips and the clear is already compromised anyway, then you are just smoothing it down.
What are you talking about?! Clay doesn't hurt clear coat. Do your research before posting nonsense like this.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just used Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0 ($40) on Saturday and then followed up with Pinnacle Souveran™ Carnauba Paste Wax ($95) 12 hours later. My black Sonata Limited is absolutely beautiful!!!!!! I know these products are very pricey but the finish is worth every penny. Checkout links on youtube regarding these products are read about them on autogeek. Links below:

http://www.autogeek.net/qude101.html

http://www.wolfgangcarcare.com/wg5500.html

http://www.pinnaclewax.com/souveran.html

·
Registered
166 Posts
QUOTE (mostholycerebus @ May 4 2010, 02:17 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=319472
I worked at AutoZone for 3 years, and every fall we clearanced out the old wax and I bought it for a penny a bottle. Much was given away to family, much was used, but i've tried pretty much everything yer corner store stocks. In my experience, the best you can get over-the-counter is Meguiers. I have tried all types, and the Gold Class has always worked the best for me. I notice no difference between paste and liquid, both provide the same shine to my eye, but the liquid is easier to take off. Tech Wax is supposed to be better for 'color' cars, but mine are black, so Gold Class. If you are bringing back an old car, their 3-step process works very well too.

I must add that I hear a LOT about Zaino. Based on customer feedback, this may be better than Meguiers, especially for black cars. But the price difference was too much for me to experiment :D
When cars are transported uncovered they pick up a ton of trash in the paint. You'd be very surprised. Especially when transported by train.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have been a fan of Meguiars Tech-Wax - mostly because I'm lazy when it comes to waxing...

There are many thoughts on which wax is best - solid, liquid, etc... but for the price, convenience, and look - Tech Wax - provides a really good wet look / great colors

Have to agree with this, I like Meguiar's overall, but I'm curious about Zaino, lots of people seem to like it.

·
Registered
133 Posts
QUOTE (legacy @ May 4 2010, 04:47 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=319559
What are you talking about?! Clay doesn't hurt clear coat. Do your research before posting nonsense like this.
My experience disagrees. I work the Route 66 Speedway out here every year so discuss cleaning options with guys who really care for their cars and hotrods. Claying can work well, iff the owner knows what he's doing. But it can be overdone too. IMO its more than 90% of Sonata owners need.

But then, i'm the guy who wastes hours a week reading oil analysis, when noone here will ever see an engine failure due to low quality oil. So whatever floats yer boat.

·
Registered
90 Posts
QUOTE (mostholycerebus @ May 4 2010, 09:03 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=319663
My experience disagrees. I work the Route 66 Speedway out here every year so discuss cleaning options with guys who really care for their cars and hotrods. Claying can work well, iff the owner knows what he's doing. But it can be overdone too. IMO its more than 90% of Sonata owners need.

But then, i'm the guy who wastes hours a week reading oil analysis, when noone here will ever see an engine failure due to low quality oil. So whatever floats yer boat.
Happy that you have that job, but the best detailers in the world clay cars (yes, even new ones). Pretty sure they care about the Mercedes, Ferraris, etc. that they're detailing. Don't use a really aggressive clay, use plenty of lube (works for many things in life), and you'll have great looking paint.

But hey, if you want to wax over metal particles lodged in your paint, and ignore the gunk just sitting on there, be my guest. Not something that needs to be done all that frequently, but certainly isn't going to ruin our clearcoat like you implied.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I fully believe in claying cars, even new ones. As with anything, yes, even claying can be overdone. I do it on my cars once a year, and occasionally on the front bumper during bug season.

As for Meguiars Gold Class, I definitely agree, its probably the best over the counter wax out there. I have used it before and have been satisfied with the results, but my complaint wiht it is that it wears off quickly. If you live in a rainy climate, after a month or two, you will notice a definite decrease in water beading.

Products like Zaino and Showroom FX which are synthetic polymer based will last much longer.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts